92 Gallon corner tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
92 Gallon corner tank

Here we go. I've been keeping track of this tank for a couple month but have only finally come up with time to upload it all. It might take a few days, but I'll get it all up.

The tank was set up mid October with Seachem Fluorite, CO2 injection at 4bps using red sea co2 reactor 500, and kept at 76F. I loaded it with the plants you see in the picture and 35 different fish (4 Cory cats, 3 glass cats, 2 Yo-Yo loaches, 2 Clown loaches, 4 marble hatchet fish, 6 neon tetras, 4 guppies, 2 multi striped loaches, 2 mini dwarf loaches, 2 khuli loaches, 2 blue wood shrimp, 2 singapore shrimp, 1 snowball pleco, 3 siamese algae eaters, 1 long finned albino pleco, and 2 african dwarf frogs.) I've done many tanks so I figured I could watch the health of the fish and do weekly 50% water changes (more if needed) and baby them through the cycle process.

This first picture was taken Dec 10 but as you'll hear it's not much different than it looked mid October.

Last edited by lucky28822; 03-03-2012 at 03:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

By mid November the plants had not shown any growth. Many of them started melting to the point you see in the first picture (they were all in great shape when I bought them). The swords were developing severe holes which were the only thing I could confidently diagnose (lack of PO4). This is when I decided to get serious and if I was going to do it, I might as well do it right. I did some research and I decided to use ferts following the PPS Classic system. I ordered the required ferts from Green Leaf Aquariums. I also bought all the water tests (API) I needed. By December everything was ready to begin. PPS bases your next fertilizer amount on your previous amount taking into account plant uptake. Since the Tank had been up for nearly two months without using any ferts I just did a 50% water change and dosed it with the chemical I had none of (PO4). I figured that the second week would be more useful.

Tapwater stats
PO4: .25ppm
Ca: 0ppm
NO3: 0ppm
GH: 53.7ppm
Mg: 13.1ppm

Day 0, Dec 10 stats
PO4: 0ppm
Ca: 40ppm
NO3: 80ppm
GH: 143.2
Mg: 10.5ppm

I was worried about my NO3 numbers and was thinking that my initial cycling may not have been done. Considering this was the first time I had a chance to test it and all my fish were doing fine, I figured I'd give it the week and see how things were next week. As far as algae is concerned, I only had a little green spot algae which was easy enough to get off the glass but was covering the marsilea and dwarf hairgrass.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Hey there, I was looking for you journal on this tank... subscribing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

December 17 my numbers had barely changed at all.

NO3: 40ppm
GH: 143.2

I had assumed that as I fed the deficient nutrient that the plants would begin taking up ratios of all nutrients. I'm guessing I must have been so deficient and that the plants had already taken up extra storage of the surplus nutrients so they just didn't need them yet.

Not much of a difference, most of it looks negative except the for the shoot on the sword. Based upon the nutrient usage and daily dosage the calculator instructed dosing
3.2 ml SS
24 ml PF
Ingredients for this and future references can be found here.
Trace minerals are always dosed 9.2ml per day based upon tank size

I don't agree with the recommended dosage as the PO4 is what I know I'm lacking. I'm sure it's because my starting value of 0 and ending value of 0 shows 0 usage. I do have a target value of 1.0ppm but for some reason it's not recommending it... Probably just a lack of experience with this calculator. Oh well, thought I'd give it another week before manipulating it.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

December 24

Ca: 60ppm
NO3: 100ppm
GH: 161.1
Mg: 2.7ppm

The results show that the Mg was used, but everything else has built up. Nitrate has built up to dangerous levels, and I really want to do a water change. I'm going to trust the calculator and the idea of a no water change dosing system.

Most plants are showing minor recovery except for the one in the back corner. I'm guessing it's because my light does not reach to the back.

The system is recommending Mg but is still not recommending PO4. I'm tired of waiting and manipulated the calculator to say I started the week with my target PO4 value and ended with zero. It recommended a 6.2 ml daily dose to keep up with that usage. Therefore, I will be dosing
6.2ml NF
16ml Mg
as well as the usual TM.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

December 31

Check out these numbers, I'm surprised nothing has died yet.
Ca: 60ppm
NO3: 160+ppm
GH: 232ppm
Mg: 20ppm
Nitrates are off the chart. Forget waiting out the stabilization, I owe it to the fish to do a half water change. I did the math to show what my current levels are after water change. The calculator still recommended more nitrate. I'm disregarding this recommendation and sticking with the NF only this time. I'm definitely not understanding what I'm doing wrong with this system.

Everything is progressing slowly, and I'm finally seeing changes in my dwarf hairgrass and marsilea. I've gotten tired of replanting the hairgrass everyday due to some unruly fish so I've moved my clown loaches and yoyo loaches to a different tank with a crayfish and some guppies. They're active enough I'm sure they'll hold their own.
dosing
6ml NF
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

January 14

Missed a weekend of tests due to being out of town, but my wife was able to continue the dosing for me

PO4: 1ppm (It's about frickin' time!)
NO3: 100ppm
GH: 161.1ppm
Mg: 14.9ppm

I am finally showing signs of PO4. Due to my previous water change I started the two weeks with 80ppm NO3 so a plus 20ppm over two weeks is much better than I've been seeing but still too much and accumulating quicker than the plants can take it up.
The grass is shooting, new leaves are growing to replace the old GDA covered ones, and the roots on the sword are growing and white again. Mandatory 50% water change still in effect until I can get these nitrates under control again. I am disregarding suggested results again and sticking with the 6ml NF.

Started working on a hood to allow more light in the tank especially in the back. I'm wondering if my nitrate build up is coming from rotting plants? I probably need to buy an NH4 test to test my ammonia with my nitrates being as crazy as they are.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

December 21

PO4: .75ppm
NO3: 20ppm
GH: 125.3ppm
Mg: 6.2ppm

The plants seem to be loving the current dosing schedule, all my numbers are starting to settle down. Such a dramatic decrease in nitrates, did I finally finish cycling? I'm not doing a water change this week and will see if my numbers hold. Maybe I will start following the suggested results of PPS if I can get the numbers to hold another week.

I've been doing about 4bps on my CO2 and it has been keeping my drop checker on the bluer side of green. Still working on the new hood and lights. I would like to crank the CO2 up higher but my red sea reactor is wasting CO2 as it is. Looking into building a reactor.

close up on my grass

close up on my swords with it's shoots
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

January 28

PO4: .75ppm
NO3: 60ppm
GH: 143.2ppm

Nitrates have increased again... so much for having that under control. Dosing onl NF seems to be doing perfect. PPS has started recommending NF dosing but only around 3ml. 6 seems to be working so I'm sticking with it.

I finally pulled my back plant and sure enough it was simply rotting in the tank. Hopefully this will help out the nitrate situation.

Had to take my update picture from a different angle due to glare from outside lights.

I realize I hadn't shown a complete picture of the tank and the light situation will make more sense. It has a bar on top buy nothing towards the back.

The light is definitely lacking as all plants are growing toward the light.

The lower in the tank the slower the growth. I'm too impatient for the slow foreground growth. The hood should be done soon. I definitely need to have another tank set up to give these sword shoots a home.

I've been fighting hair algae since shortly after the tank was set up, but it only seems to be getting worse lately. Doing some research it looks like the phosphates are what feed this beast. Frustrating since I know my levels are pretty much as low as they can be.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A lot happened during this next week so I wanted to post it independent of next week's update.
Finishing my hood

I looked everywhere for a highly reflective paint to use on the inside of the hood as I couldn't find any decent reflectors to fit my new lights. I finally ended up finding something that I haven't seen on any fish website. Most white paints are around 80% reflective. I found some elastomeric roofing paint with a reflectance rating of 94% including ultraviolet rays. It is waterproof, built for extreme high temperatures and resists mold and mildew.
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

More activity this week. I've been talking with the wife about switching from carpet to hardwood but we've been putting it off. I want to start building a fish room so it's now or never. Fortunately, she said go for it.

Before

During

After

As you can tell, the tank was not in a good spot. It weighs way too much to just push out of the way with any water in it. I had to drain it and put all the fish into a holding tank. After dropping the water level it was apparent that only the marsilea and hairgrass could stay in the tank overnight... I assumed it would only be overnight so I just threw an airstone in the holding tank and didn't throw a heater. Three days later... the floor is done and ready to put the tank back up! The house never dropped below 71, but the airstone was able to drop the temp tank down to 55 somehow. I decided to take this opportunity, remove the plants that weren't doing that well and plant all of the new swords from the shoot that has been growing forever. I ended up only having one casualty from our icy three days. Unfortunately, it was my favorite, the snowball pleco

(Can't tell if the long fin is mourning his buddy or just trying to eat him.)
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

February 4

Didn't bother with the numbers this week due to the extreme circumstances and the 80% water change, but here's a picture after my rescape.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Feburary 8

Got my new lights for the hood

Doesn't look too bright here because the camera adjusted, but you can see how dull they make the normal incandescent bulb appear.

This one does them a little more justice.

I bought these 7200 lumen beast at 1000bulbs.com. Too bad one rolled off my work bench and shattered during my hood build. After setting it up though, I'm realizing that two will still be overkill. Still, I could have used the third on a different build.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Feburary 20

Finished my first attempt at a reactor

I like how it turned out, but its diameter is only twice the rest of the tube meaning flow will only slow to 1/4. Not sure if this will be enough for higher CO2 rates.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynth View Post
Hey there, I was looking for you journal on this tank... subscribing
Alright, you gave me the motivation I needed to catch up on my updates Just have a couple more to go, but must go to bed now.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode