My Disaster Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Disaster Tank

I impulsively bough 10 so called "Adult" Yellow Shrimp and later that night I set up a ten gallon I had in my attic and the result a week later was simply disaster! The ten yellows were fingernail clipping size, 9 of them died, and the tank frankly looks horrible. I need your suggestions for badly so thats why I posted in here. There's 2 big limiting factors in my conquest for making this a good tank.
1) I'm 13 and on a very tight budget!
2) All my tanks are in my dads basemennt, his celtic shrine, so I'm very confined!

In the pics theres the last surving Yellow shrimp, Java Moss, crappy light fixture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 052.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	41706  

Name:	Picture 053.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	263.7 KB
ID:	41707  

Name:	Picture 054.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	41708  

Name:	Picture 051.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	41709  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I read your other thread. I am not surprised that they did not make it through the cycle. Shrimp are not a good critter to try to cycle with. Sorry you lost them though. With nothing in the tank but a little moss, if you change your filter, you have lost your nitrifying bacteria, so don't change it, just clean it our in old tank water when you do a water change. If you had a lot of plants, you could get away with changing your filter easier, and also getting through any cycle that may be left.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hi Austin,

I am very sorry to hear about your shrimp and your disaster tank. I know that it's sad story, but you have to think positively. This hobby is a learning experience. I did the same thing like you, I didn't understand enough how to cycle a fish tank. Now, you're talking about shrimps, they are a little bit more sensitive. So I would suggest research and watch video how to cycle fish tank. Use google and youtube. It's not easy to be patient, but you will hear it all the time around this hobby "Patience is a virtue".

Don't give up, you'll get through it and be better.

**** Green ****

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode