My First Planted Tank... I need a little help - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My First Planted Tank... I need a little help

Well here it is, my first planted tank!

I've been trolling around trying to read as much as possible before posting and see how far I could get. So far things are ok but Im having a few issues so I thought Id ask for some comments and help.

Heres my setup,

ADA Mini L sized tank, 18x10.5x12 8.5 gallon
Eheim classic canister filter
co2 system
37watt florescent light
2 subtrates (not really on purpose)
bottom layer MrAqua substrate
top layer is ada amazonia
I realized I needed more but the store was no longer stocking MrAqua so I added ADA on top. Seems to be ok.

The aquarium has been going for about 6 weeks now, so far so good. I am having algae issues as you can see. I clean it up as much as I can every day but am still looking for the cause. I've reduced the amount of food significantly, every pellet is being eaten I can see within 3 minutes or so, it floats for while, but someone munches it for sure.

I have several fish, 5 cardinal neons, 2 amber tetras, 2 galaxies, 2 norman lampeyes, and a couple guppies. I also have 6 shrimp, 4 Crystal rock and 2 cherries.

The first 4 weeks or so I didnt know to shut the Co2 off when the lights go off. Obviously didnt read enough! So its been a couple weeks since Ive solved that.

What do you all recommend for my bubbles per second? Ive ordered a co2 indicator but learned is coming from japan so it might be a while.

The guy at the pet store mentioned putting the co2 diffuser directly underneath the intake was a good idea so it could suck all the bubbles into the filter to better combine the two. I havent seen many photos like that so I wonder.

Also I was told to aerate the water at night when the co2 was off. Is this also correct?

I just bought some flourish excel. A few drops every couple days?

Anyway, this is my first creation. Really a test tank to learn. I want more of nano HC tank with just shrimp in the future. Im not in love with the driftwood I have at the moment, I sorta rushed the whole thing once I decided I was in. I have a second tank to divide the herd at somepoint and will redo this one.

Gnarly algae on the leaves

String and brown algae on the moss. Grey furry algae on the wood. I recently scrubbed a lot of that off.

Crappy brown stuff in my HC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I'm not sure since you have Co2 system. But whenever I have algae hair, I use excel and it kills it off.

But someone with more Co2 experience will probably help you.

And the tank looks great by the way.

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
The weird whitish stuff on the wood is normal, it will go away. How many hours are you running your light ? You may want to cut down a bit. ??

And your tank looks really nice

I'm a low/med light low tech person, so no expert advice.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Oooh did you go to Nature Aquarium in Santa Monica? I recognize their driftwood. Your tank looks amazing btw.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Lol, busted by the driftwood! Yup, Nature Aquarium in Santa monica. Great store!!!

I just started with Excel so hopefully that does the trick. I also reduced the light from 10 to 8 hours.

The CO2 difuser is in the back behind the wood btw... 1 bubble per second right now.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I think it looks absolutely beautiful! You did an amazing job!

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Beautiful tank. Love the wood.

I think you need to dose with Seachem equilibrium or gh up.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
Have you seen this thread? Might be of some help as it is an ADA tank with all the trimmings.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...al-how-do.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

MOP* Nano
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Beautiful tank & wood.

current:

| retired:

|
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Algae Grower

seriously, awesome job on the tank so far!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback and compliments!

I made a few changes last night which I've been waiting to do. I trimmed some moss and tied it to some of the wood branches that didnt have any. I think once they all grow in im really going to like the piece of wood.

I forgot to mention that so far I have only been using water from the Glacier water dispenser at the grocery store. With that in mind do you still think I need the Seachem equilibrium or gh up?

Kathy, great read, I hadnt found that one yet.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow, just read the product description for Equilibirum,

"Equilibrium™ is ideally suited for use with RO (reverse osmosis) or DI (deionized) water or any mineral deficient water"

aka Glacier grocery store dispenser water.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode