First planted tank pics (56K Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 213
First planted tank pics (56K Warning)

Tank: DIY 47 gal acrylic tank (66" x 13.25" x 13.25")
Filter: DIY sump type filter driven by a Mag Drive 350 Pump
Light: DIY LED 48.8W
CO2: DIY paintball
Substrate: Eco-Complete
Fertilizer: Rootmedic tabs and macro/micro liquids every other day
Fish: 6 Tiger Barbs, 5Giant Danios, 6 Green Corys, 6 Otos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	41519  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	41520  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	41521  

Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	41522  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	41523  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	41524  

Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	41525  

kperera is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Planted Member
 
inka4041's Avatar
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 261
This thing is absolutely fantastic. Ridiculously nice for any attempt, practically unheard of for a first planted. I love it!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
inka4041 is offline  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Planted Member
 
Adkins.its's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Posts: 223
Send a message via AIM to Adkins.its
Simply amazing!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

11.4g - Rimless Tree Scape
Adkins.its is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York City.
Posts: 1,974
You sure this is your first planted tank??? Looking very professional. However, I am not a big fan of paintball CO2 system.


Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 213
Thanks, I learned everything I know about planted tanks from this forum!

I bought the paintball system from Jase (Jaggedfury) on this forum, after reading dozens of positive reviews from other members. Recently I was a bit concerned after reading about someone's paintball setup exploding due to a leak in the needle valve and the subsequent buildup of pressure. So I tested my system multiple times by opening the needle valve too much, and every time the CO2 tubing just popped out at the check valve before the pressure buildup could do any real damage. Also, as you can see from the pics, filtered water is returned to my tank via a waterfall, so there is very little chance of accidentally gassing the fish!
kperera is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York City.
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by kperera View Post
Thanks, I learned everything I know about planted tanks from this forum!

I bought the paintball system from Jase (Jaggedfury) on this forum, after reading dozens of positive reviews from other members. Recently I was a bit concerned after reading about someone's paintball setup exploding due to a leak in the needle valve and the subsequent buildup of pressure. So I tested my system multiple times by opening the needle valve too much, and every time the CO2 tubing just popped out at the check valve before the pressure buildup could do any real damage. Also, as you can see from the pics, filtered water is returned to my tank via a waterfall, so there is very little chance of accidentally gassing the fish!
Have you tried to measure your CO2 level with a drop checker? I am suspecting that you may not need CO2 at all if your water returns via a water fall. Whatever CO2 you have, it could have been all gassed off. How long you have your tank setup? It looks so full and dense already. If only a month or so, I would begin to worry about your plants. Whatever "issues" you didn't anticipated early on, they will show up now.


Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Have you tried to measure your CO2 level with a drop checker? I am suspecting that you may not need CO2 at all if your water returns via a water fall. Whatever CO2 you have, it could have been all gassed off. How long you have your tank setup? It looks so full and dense already. If only a month or so, I would begin to worry about your plants. Whatever "issues" you didn't anticipated early on, they will show up now.
The tank is about 5 months old. I added the paintball CO2 system and started dosing liquid macros and micros about 2 1/2 months ago. It definitely increased the growth rate many times over (I have attached a picture of how the tank looked before CO2 and ferts). I also added a drop checker then and it stayed green constantly, so after awhile I removed it from the tank as it was unsightly. Now you have me really worried. What "issues" may show up now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-22-2011.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	41540  

kperera is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (16/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: New York City.
Posts: 1,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by kperera View Post
The tank is about 5 months old. I added the paintball CO2 system and started dosing liquid macros and micros about 2 1/2 months ago. It definitely increased the growth rate many times over (I have attached a picture of how the tank looked before CO2 and ferts). I also added a drop checker then and it stayed green constantly, so after awhile I removed it from the tank as it was unsightly. Now you have me really worried. What "issues" may show up now?
5 months.....I guess your setup is balanced enough. It does appear your LED light intensity is on the low side, which is fine in your setup. One issue I was referring to is the amount of CO2 you are injecting versus the amount of light you have. Green color in the drop checker (I assumed you did use a 4dkh solution for your drop checker) isn't a lot of CO2. If your light intensity is any brighter, you may find your plants not growing at some points because your CO2 level is low. Next thing you would begin to see would be algae....


Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
5 months.....I guess your setup is balanced enough. It does appear your LED light intensity is on the low side, which is fine in your setup. One issue I was referring to is the amount of CO2 you are injecting versus the amount of light you have. Green color in the drop checker (I assumed you did use a 4dkh solution for your drop checker) isn't a lot of CO2. If your light intensity is any brighter, you may find your plants not growing at some points because your CO2 level is low. Next thing you would begin to see would be algae....
I did have my light lower at first, as you can see from the pre-CO2 picture. And, sure enough, algae started to grow. So I raised the light to the current height, and haven't had any algae problems since then. And I am happy with the current growth rate; I prune the wisteria and the swords about once week and the ludwigia a couple of times a week. I don't think I want them to grow any faster!
kperera is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (13/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
5 months.....I guess your setup is balanced enough. It does appear your LED light intensity is on the low side, which is fine in your setup. One issue I was referring to is the amount of CO2 you are injecting versus the amount of light you have. Green color in the drop checker (I assumed you did use a 4dkh solution for your drop checker) isn't a lot of CO2. If your light intensity is any brighter, you may find your plants not growing at some points because your CO2 level is low. Next thing you would begin to see would be algae....
I also have the CO2 diffuser right under the waterfall, so when the tiny CO2 bubbles coming out of the diffuser get close to the surface, they get pushed back down by the waterfall and stay swirling around in there for awhile. Eventually they get caught up in the current, float half way across the tank, and get deposited on the undersides of the plant leaves. So I guess I have really good CO2 diffusion compensating for degassing by the waterfall!
kperera is offline  
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (3/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 117
Ridiculously awesome... And massive! I love it!
meowfish is offline  
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:15 AM
PC1
Wannabe Guru
 
PC1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (131/98%)
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Corona Ca 92882
Posts: 1,286
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love to see my manzanita pieces all set up. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!
PC1 is offline  
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
sketch804's Avatar
 
PTrader: (44/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Richmond, Virginia
Posts: 1,233
My god, for a "first" time planted tank this one is out of this world! very nice, clean, and looks professional! Keep it up, I wanna see more to say the least!!
would you be able to maybe post a pic of the lighting a little better? That is one of the most interesting things on this tank!


-=:Sketch804:=-


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval pimp #31
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


sketch804 is offline  
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Planted Member
 
Hawkian's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Hawkesbury, ON
Posts: 277
First Planted Tank? What????

Is it just me... but I get really ticked off when I read a post that's titled "First Planted Tank" and the thing is simply a thing of beauty! Why can't I do that?

Please don't take me wrong... I'm not ticked off at you. Your tank is absolutely gorgeous. I'm just jealous! Absolutely a great job!

Hawkian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Hawkian is offline  
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: jersey
Posts: 30
wow that's amazing. amazing build with the custom tank!
simply amazing is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome