First planted tank pics (56K Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
First planted tank pics (56K Warning)

Tank: DIY 47 gal acrylic tank (66" x 13.25" x 13.25")
Filter: DIY sump type filter driven by a Mag Drive 350 Pump
Light: DIY LED 48.8W
CO2: DIY paintball
Substrate: Eco-Complete
Fertilizer: Rootmedic tabs and macro/micro liquids every other day
Fish: 6 Tiger Barbs, 5Giant Danios, 6 Green Corys, 6 Otos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	41519  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	41520  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	41521  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	41522  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	41523  

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	41524  

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	41525  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
This thing is absolutely fantastic. Ridiculously nice for any attempt, practically unheard of for a first planted. I love it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Adkins.its
Simply amazing!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

11.4g - Rimless Tree Scape

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 10:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
You sure this is your first planted tank??? Looking very professional. However, I am not a big fan of paintball CO2 system.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, I learned everything I know about planted tanks from this forum!

I bought the paintball system from Jase (Jaggedfury) on this forum, after reading dozens of positive reviews from other members. Recently I was a bit concerned after reading about someone's paintball setup exploding due to a leak in the needle valve and the subsequent buildup of pressure. So I tested my system multiple times by opening the needle valve too much, and every time the CO2 tubing just popped out at the check valve before the pressure buildup could do any real damage. Also, as you can see from the pics, filtered water is returned to my tank via a waterfall, so there is very little chance of accidentally gassing the fish!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 11:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kperera View Post
Thanks, I learned everything I know about planted tanks from this forum!

I bought the paintball system from Jase (Jaggedfury) on this forum, after reading dozens of positive reviews from other members. Recently I was a bit concerned after reading about someone's paintball setup exploding due to a leak in the needle valve and the subsequent buildup of pressure. So I tested my system multiple times by opening the needle valve too much, and every time the CO2 tubing just popped out at the check valve before the pressure buildup could do any real damage. Also, as you can see from the pics, filtered water is returned to my tank via a waterfall, so there is very little chance of accidentally gassing the fish!
Have you tried to measure your CO2 level with a drop checker? I am suspecting that you may not need CO2 at all if your water returns via a water fall. Whatever CO2 you have, it could have been all gassed off. How long you have your tank setup? It looks so full and dense already. If only a month or so, I would begin to worry about your plants. Whatever "issues" you didn't anticipated early on, they will show up now.

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Have you tried to measure your CO2 level with a drop checker? I am suspecting that you may not need CO2 at all if your water returns via a water fall. Whatever CO2 you have, it could have been all gassed off. How long you have your tank setup? It looks so full and dense already. If only a month or so, I would begin to worry about your plants. Whatever "issues" you didn't anticipated early on, they will show up now.
The tank is about 5 months old. I added the paintball CO2 system and started dosing liquid macros and micros about 2 1/2 months ago. It definitely increased the growth rate many times over (I have attached a picture of how the tank looked before CO2 and ferts). I also added a drop checker then and it stayed green constantly, so after awhile I removed it from the tank as it was unsightly. Now you have me really worried. What "issues" may show up now?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	10-22-2011.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	41540  

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kperera View Post
The tank is about 5 months old. I added the paintball CO2 system and started dosing liquid macros and micros about 2 1/2 months ago. It definitely increased the growth rate many times over (I have attached a picture of how the tank looked before CO2 and ferts). I also added a drop checker then and it stayed green constantly, so after awhile I removed it from the tank as it was unsightly. Now you have me really worried. What "issues" may show up now?
5 months.....I guess your setup is balanced enough. It does appear your LED light intensity is on the low side, which is fine in your setup. One issue I was referring to is the amount of CO2 you are injecting versus the amount of light you have. Green color in the drop checker (I assumed you did use a 4dkh solution for your drop checker) isn't a lot of CO2. If your light intensity is any brighter, you may find your plants not growing at some points because your CO2 level is low. Next thing you would begin to see would be algae....

Canon Pimp Club #005
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
5 months.....I guess your setup is balanced enough. It does appear your LED light intensity is on the low side, which is fine in your setup. One issue I was referring to is the amount of CO2 you are injecting versus the amount of light you have. Green color in the drop checker (I assumed you did use a 4dkh solution for your drop checker) isn't a lot of CO2. If your light intensity is any brighter, you may find your plants not growing at some points because your CO2 level is low. Next thing you would begin to see would be algae....
I did have my light lower at first, as you can see from the pre-CO2 picture. And, sure enough, algae started to grow. So I raised the light to the current height, and haven't had any algae problems since then. And I am happy with the current growth rate; I prune the wisteria and the swords about once week and the ludwigia a couple of times a week. I don't think I want them to grow any faster!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
I also have the CO2 diffuser right under the waterfall, so when the tiny CO2 bubbles coming out of the diffuser get close to the surface, they get pushed back down by the waterfall and stay swirling around in there for awhile. Eventually they get caught up in the current, float half way across the tank, and get deposited on the undersides of the plant leaves. So I guess I have really good CO2 diffusion compensating for degassing by the waterfall!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ridiculously awesome... And massive! I love it!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:15 AM
PC1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (131/98%)
Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love to see my manzanita pieces all set up. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
My god, for a "first" time planted tank this one is out of this world! very nice, clean, and looks professional! Keep it up, I wanna see more to say the least!!
would you be able to maybe post a pic of the lighting a little better? That is one of the most interesting things on this tank!

-=:Sketch804:=-

Fluval pimp #31

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
First Planted Tank? What????

Is it just me... but I get really ticked off when I read a post that's titled "First Planted Tank" and the thing is simply a thing of beauty! Why can't I do that?

Please don't take me wrong... I'm not ticked off at you. Your tank is absolutely gorgeous. I'm just jealous! Absolutely a great job!

Hawkian

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
wow that's amazing. amazing build with the custom tank!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode