First timers 46 gallon bowfront - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First timers 46 gallon bowfront

This will be my first foray into planted tanks. I have a 46 gallon bow front, and I will be keeping the T8 hood that came with it, so this will be a very low light tank. I used Black Diamond as the substrate, and don't plan on using any ferts or CO2 (maybe a DIY down the road if it would be beneficial). I've placed some wood and rocks in there, now I'm just waiting for my filter arrive in the mail. Any suggestions on changes to the hard scape? I have plenty of leftover rock and slate from my dad, so adding extra things wouldn't be a problem. Also, any suggestions on low light plants that would look good in here? I have some taiwan moss and three wendtii coming, but other than that I'm an open book!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Pretty cool rock platform, looking forward to how you'll be filling it out.

current:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

| retired:

|
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally got my filter in! I'm a little short on money and found a thread about the SunSun cannister filters so I went with that one, hopefully it works as great as others say it does. I have some crypts and moss that should be coming in the mail today also, looking forward to planting those tonight. Still no suggestions for any plants? I guess I'll be going at this one alone!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Planted Member

Swords:
echinodorus bleheri (b-ground)
echinodorus tenelus (f-ground)
vallisneria americana (b-ground) - I know I know it's not a sword!

Stems:
hygrophila difformis (b-ground)
hygrophila polysperma (b-ground)
bacopa monnieri (b-ground)
red ludwigia (m-ground)

Crypts (most) - (m-ground or b-ground)

They all do relatively well in my low-light, no CO2 setup. It's finding the balance that's hard and ends up killing them for me...

Hawkian

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
Make sure to put some root tabs into the sand. Also, I probably center your scape some for a bow front. That tank is not small but with two distinct focal points and two completely different hardscape materials, it looks sort of busy.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCichlid View Post
Make sure to put some root tabs into the sand. Also, I probably center your scape some for a bow front. That tank is not small but with two distinct focal points and two completely different hardscape materials, it looks sort of busy.
You're definitely right on this, yesterday I was looking at it and it definitely looked a little too busy, just couldn't figure out what it was! I was actually worried I wouldn't have enough to fill it but I think I have too much now. Any suggestions? Maybe driftwood in the center with rocks on the sides? I'm not very artistic so I'm kind of stuck right now...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkian View Post
Swords:
echinodorus bleheri (b-ground)
echinodorus tenelus (f-ground)
vallisneria americana (b-ground) - I know I know it's not a sword!

Stems:
hygrophila difformis (b-ground)
hygrophila polysperma (b-ground)
bacopa monnieri (b-ground)
red ludwigia (m-ground)

Crypts (most) - (m-ground or b-ground)

They all do relatively well in my low-light, no CO2 setup. It's finding the balance that's hard and ends up killing them for me...
Thanks for the reply! Definitely going to have to check out the lfs, hopefully they have some of these. If not, off to swap and shop I go!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I really love the pieces that you've chosen!

-KC

Lover of kuhli loaches and dwarf puffers!
RAOK Club #123!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Surrounded by Blyxa

PTrader: (27/100%)
I would do a more natural hardscape with the wood as the focal and the rocks mixed in together. Think of a piece of driftwood stuck just right into a rocky stream.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got some plants in this weekend so I went ahead and planted a few. Still not finished though, trying to find some moss for the wood. Also, any suggestions for the middle and front left of the tank? I'm also looking for some grass-like plants to go in front of the rock cave or in the foreground near the middle. Any suggestions?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode