7.5g Cube -- Iwagumish. New pics, Feb 13. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
7.5g Cube -- Iwagumish. New pics, Feb 13.

Hi. This was a "normal" planted tank for a long time, with 6 CPDs, my Pygmies, and shrimp. We set up a 55g crypt tank, so I pulled my wendti and rescaped. All the scraggly-looking hairgrass was grown submersed, so it should bounce back quick. The HC showed up as a 4-leaf mushy fragment like 5 months ago, so I nursed it back to health. Isn't really a part of the tank, but I keep it around

The slopes are heavily planted with DHG, just like the "plain" at the bottom. Underneath the "hill" is a mediabag full or ceramic media I had laying around to support the whole thing. Max hill height is about 5.5 inches. Slopes are kept in place with buried plasticard.

Sorry my pictures are horrible.

Specs:

TANK: 7.5 G Mr. Aqua cube.
LIGHTS: 2 x Finnex 13w PFC, 11 hour photo period split morning/evening.
SUBSTRATE: Fluval stratum with Vermicompost.
FILTRATION: AC 30.
HEATER: Hydor 15 w mini in the filter.
CO2: Diy through an Aquatic Magic nano-diffuser.
FERTS: Occasionally dose leaf zone or fish emulsion. Rarely.
SCAPE: Lace rock.
FLORA: DHG and HC.
FAUNA: Blue Pearls, Malawas, Amanos.

Pics, Feb 13, '12

Full tank.

Sneaky shrimp.

Original Pics, Feb 3, '12:

Last edited by larcat; 02-16-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
very nice. i love the mounding effect.

good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i digg it. yes i do

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 12:53 AM
GDP
Banned

PTrader: (5/100%)
Looks good, I like it. A nice simple scape.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
Looks good, I like it. A nice simple scape.
Thanks, that was the idea.

I looked at LOTS of Iwagumis. The ones I liked were all either extremely complex but looked deceptively simple, or really simple but did one thing well (single rock set ups, that sort of thing.) This was supposed to highlight the 30-40 degree paths between the rocks, and the grass that will grow in there.

I'm just to aesthetically inept to do the complex ones
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

One other note: conspicuous lack of a heater in a hob set up is because the hydor mini is in the aqua clear.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
iwagumi never appealed to me but thanks to this its beginning to nice job

40 gallon dirt tank
5 Gallon planted bonsai dirt tank
1 Bearded Dragon ''Spyro''
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hey, thanks, I really appreciate it Hopefully it looks good after it grows in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaticGuppy92 View Post
iwagumi never appealed to me but thanks to this its beginning to nice job
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Happy news! This tank has been set up for one week with the rescape. Shrimp were all in the old scape as well.

No females were berried when I rescaped.

I've got 2 berried now, both blue pearls, and one saddled Hopefully more babies will survive now with no predators!

Any suggestions on how to decrease mortality?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 02:42 AM
GDP
Banned

PTrader: (5/100%)
Only tips I have for your setup would be watch yout co2 count and realize shrimp need lots of o2 to thrive. Especially true for babies. Also babies need lots of biofilm (Aged tank) to get high survival rates. Either that or a baby shrimp food.

Canon Pimp Club #026
Disclaimer: Take my advice with a grain of salt. I only give advice based on first hand knowledge or from the knowledge of others. If im wrong please let me know.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 03:50 AM
akm
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDP View Post
Only tips I have for your setup would be watch yout co2 count and realize shrimp need lots of o2 to thrive. Especially true for babies. Also babies need lots of biofilm (Aged tank) to get high survival rates. Either that or a baby shrimp food.
The substrate is really well aged, tank has been set up for just under a year and I had about half an inch of vermicompost in there that is full of all kinda of bacteria. Will having rescaped messed up the bacterial colonies that much?

I may try the baby fish food thing. I'm 99% sure that my CPDs were eating most of my baby shrimplets in the old setup. The babies I did find/have now were all found in my filter after I didn't have a prefilter on for about a week. That makes me think that when they were being kept in the tank they were being munched.

Do you think DIY CO2 is pumping enough CO2 to harm shrimplets O2 wise?

Thanks for the advise!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 04:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ack. Sorry. Above post was actually me. My fiance's account was still logged into this computer
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
does your pygmy cory's nibble at the shrimp??? I was debating on adding some to my CRS tank, but worried they would nibble on them or the babies... oh and BEAUTIFUL TANK! I'm tempted to make a tank like yours some time soon
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have never seen them mess with the shrimp at all. One of the reasons I kept them while I moved the CPDs was that everyone seems to agree that they are 100% shrimp safe.

Now, that said, I have never seen them with super micro babies, so maybe that is different.

I'll find out soon!

Thanks for the kind words about the tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowfan05 View Post
does your pygmy cory's nibble at the shrimp??? I was debating on adding some to my CRS tank, but worried they would nibble on them or the babies... oh and BEAUTIFUL TANK! I'm tempted to make a tank like yours some time soon
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a brief note/changes to the tank.

The pygmies were in here before when it was heavily planted with stems, crypts and E. Tellenus. They seemed happy enough, but I never saw them.

They were pretty visably stessed for the last week+ in the iwagumi setup, I think because they had no cover. If I watched them from the doorway, sometimes I would see schooling and messing about, but when ever I was sitting at my desk they would flip out and try and hide in a corner.

I have removed them and put them in our 55, and now we are seeing all sorts of schooling and much more relaxed behaviors from them.

I'm pretty sure these were wild-caught, and I'm thinking maybe tank-raised would work better in a nano-iwagumi setup. It is a pity because they school very neatly, and are just amazingly fun little fish and, importantly, don't predate shrimp. But if anyone is considering wild-caught ones in a nano without lots of cover, I would probably decide on something else.

Added a second 2L to my CO2 system last night, and will be adding a drop checker today. The 1 bottle setup was pushing almost nothing, and the shrimp don't seem to be reacting badly. Crossing my fingers.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode