So_Fishy ~ 55g Tank Journal ~ w/many pics! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
So_Fishy ~ 55g Tank Journal ~ w/many pics!

Hi, my name is Michelle. My husbands name is Jeremy. We both use this account to post but mostly its me. We both have had tanks all our lives from everything to gold fish bowls to saltwater reef tanks. But this was our first time focusing on a freshwater planted tank. So, this is our journal for our 55gal. We purchased this tank off of craigslist full set up plus alot of equipment for $100.00 (what a deal!) I am by no means any sort of photographer so these pics aren't fancy.

We set this up on 2/2/12.

New pics:
(02/09/2012) Post #6
(02/16/2012) Post #17
(02/21/2012) Post #18
(02/23/2012) Post #21
(02/28/2012) Post #27
(03/03/2012) Post #34

Most recent shot: (please imagine it without the big rock on the DW)

Size: 55gal
Substrate: MTS (1.25 inch) and Black Coal Slag (2 inches)
Lighting: 108w 6500k T5HO Pink Aquarium Light
Flitration: HOB Canister (came w/tank) and HOB Aquatech 30-60 (this will most likely come off after tank starts to clear)
Co2 pressurized w/20oz Paintball tank (setting this up tonight)

Pic #1 - Laying the MTS and cap

Pic #2 - Next, we ordered the driftwood. Which ended up being a bit larger than we had expected. But after some modifications (we took a hacksaw to it) we ended up with a look we are pleased with. You can also see the Peacock Moss tied on to the DW, that was not fun! The rocks on top of the DW are to weigh it down till its water logged and will be removed.

Pic #3 - Water and plants in!

Pic #4 - Plant/fish shot. We planned on doing a fishless cycle. But, we had 2 albino tiger barbs (named Orange and White - Go Vols!!) that desperately needed to be rehomed out of our 29gal because of a tiger barb (aka Dot) that has gotten a little too big for her breeches. Their lower fins had almost been nipped off! They seem to like their new home and are still swimming happily this morning.

Pic #5 - More plants! We still have to get a background. Most likely we will go with the basic black tape on kind.

Pic #6 - Right end tank shot. Water is still a little cloudy and the shot quality isn't that great but here ya go!

Pic #7 - Left end tank shot.

Pic #8 - I'm so ready for those rocks to come off the DW.

Pic #9 - One of my fave plants!

Plants: (keep in mind I'm not great at the identifying these guys yet)

Ambulia
Bacopa Monnieri
Cabomba Purple
Limnophila sp Vietnam 'mini'
Ludwigia Hybrid 'Red'
Ludwigia x Lacustris Hybrid
Ludwigia sp Rubin
Myrio Mattogrosense
Myrio Red
Neasea Trifolia
Limnophila Aromatica
Rotala Singapore mixed w/ R. Colorata
Peacock Moss
Echinodorus Vesuvius
Melon Sword
Aponogeton Ulvaceus
Aponogeton Undulats (I think)
Ludwigia repens
Rotala macrandra
Red Tiger Lotus
Dwarf Baby tears
Ludwigia Peruenis
Java fern
Fissidens fontanus (Not for sure on this, won a small bit of it in a mixed RAOK. Just attached it to a rock and we shall see.)
Subwassertang (Very small amount)
Crypt? (small - unsure of what variety yet or if it even is one)
Mermaid Weed
Banana Plant

Fish:

Cherry Barbs x 7
German Blue Rams x 2
Kribensis x 2
Oto x 2
Gold Algae Eater x 2
Black Ghost Knife
Upside down Catfish
Julii Cory x 2

Thanks for looking. Hope you enjoyed it. Comments and suggestions welcomed!

Last edited by So_Fishy; 03-07-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Nice start! Looking foward to seeing how it progresses. Depending upon the quality of your lighting, that may be a bit much, however. You may be alright with the co2, though. I have 54w of T5HO on my 55g. (no co2) and I had to raise it 6 in. above the tank to combat algae. You should join the frat! I live in FL now but, I am originally from the Nashville area. Go Titans!! Good luck with your new tank.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #58

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #20
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I think this looks gorgeous. You have more patience than I would, to tie the moss down like that. I haven't any moss except for a marimo ball. It was literally the first plant I bought. Things should be moving along pretty fast since you were able to start the tank off with co2. I hear growth is amazingly fast with it. Prepare yourself for the trimming maintenance you will be doing soon!!

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks like somebody bought a trimmings package from Herns on this forum, I recognize that plant set!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks tlyons! The moss was tricksy but most of it is still on the log. Everything is still going good. We got the Co2 up and running and we only almost blew the tank up once. Added four random snails and a golden clam today and also some Rotala and Ludwigia. And yes, that was the trimmings pckg from herns. It was very nice and we haven't lost a stem!

Fraternity of Dirt #72
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

A week in and we made a few changes. We took out some of the DW to give us a little more planting space. We were finally able to take out the rocks and the DW stayed down. We are getting some really good growth and have had to trim the Ambulia and Limnophila Aromatica. Its weird to look at pics of it and see just how much growth we have had. When you look at it everyday it doesn't seem as much as it is in the pics. We are getting some Otos tomorrow because I can already see algae growth on DW and plant stems.

We will most likely move around some of the plants once they start to fill in. We are still planning on the HC in the bare area. But, just haven't ordered it yet. I think the moss is starting to attach itself to the DW. How do you guys think it looks?

Fraternity of Dirt #72
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Wow, I'd say that you are getting some really great growth already! It's hard to believe that it has just been a week... I like the downsizing of the DW, you are right that it gives more space. I think that was a good choice. Seems off to a really wonderful start!!
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks again tlyons! I won a ROAK yay! So I've got a few more plants coming.

Fraternity of Dirt #72
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Nice tank you got there. It's looking good.

Semper Fi
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
Nice tank you got there. It's looking good.
Thanks a lot! We added 5 Oto's yesterday and have ordered some more snails and the HC. I believe I'm having a diatom bloom in the tank but I'm hoping it will go away with regular routine care, a good cleanup crew and time.

Fraternity of Dirt #72
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

Where are yo getting yor fish from?
I had a real bad problem on my 15g with diatom. I scraped everything, water change and added 3 ottos. Problem solved 2 days later.

Semper Fi
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

The Otos I called J and M (I believe thats it) on Fort Campbell blvd, and had them order some for us. They came in the next day! The Rams we happend to come across at a small pet shop in Paris TN. My family is from West Tn so we go through that area pretty frequently when I go home for visits.

Fraternity of Dirt #72
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah I know the people at J&M. I picked up 25 panda cories yesterday I had them order.
I have never been to Paris, to be honest I don't even know where it's at lol. I know where Dover is (I go to LBL a lot) but no idea on Paris.
I'll tell you an awesome lfs if your ever in East TN. Exotic Tropicals in Cookeville. I go from time to time to visit my little brother. I almost always bring something back.

Semper Fi
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is going to look so epic when it's all grown in

Projects:

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

What is the red plant on the right of the tank? I want some clippings when you have extra please. We can do some trading.

Semper Fi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode