75gal Rivers edge. - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
75gal Rivers edge.

Planning out my first planted build and I am giving you guys the opportunity to live vicariously through me (and my wallet)

I have a stand that I built for a 75gal (cherry finish) but should fit a 90 gal as well.

For lighting I already have a 48" 4 bulb HO T5 odysea unit

I also have a aqua controller jr I plan on using for automation. I need new ph and temp probes.

Now here's where you guys come in!

1. Substrate:

Leaning toward black. I am a big fan of brightwell aquatics http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/rio_escuro_m.php and would love to use their substrate but can not find it for sale anywhere. Back up would be eco complete and maybe black diamond.

Other suggestions are more than welcome. Mineralized mud, ect?

2. Background:

Normally I make my own, but realistically I end up spending an arse ton in the process. For around $200 these are pretty sweet backgrounds
http://www.gillsnfins.ca/deluxe3d.php#tanganyika_rock
Either the canyon or the tanganyika. I prefere the tanganyika.
Or I could just do a plain black background but would prefere 3D

3. Filtration:

This is where I could use the most help. Silence is golden.
size, type, pre filters ect.

I would prefer to go the canister route as the sound of splashing water drives me nuts, No HOB or sumps. Could I use a ro filter canister filled with filter floss as sort of a pre filter to capture larger organic matter?

How should I go about plumbing everything? I have a drill bit that will fit a 1/2" bulkhead but I could always order other sizes from www.glass-holes.com

I would prefer drilling vs any unsightly lines dangling into the tank.

Lighting:

I prefer giesemann bulbs. I have one aquablue+ and an actinic bulb. I assume the rest would need to be replaced. Suggestions?

CO2:

I am a complete noob when it comes to this subject. Can I assume that a 5# aluminum tank would be enough for a 75-90 gal tank? As far as regulators, needle valves and ect I am at a complete loss.

Livestock:

The fun part! Originally I was planning on doing a discus / tetra tank but after doing more research on them I am thinking of ditching the discus idea.

I really want to do a handfull of CRS and maybe other species of shrimp. But I could always do a tank on the kitchen counter for them.

Now for other livestock, neon tetras, oto, maybe large school of C.pygmaeus, killifish? any particular rare awesome looking species that would be cool to breed?

Plants: Star moss?, Utricularia graminifolia, Hemianthus callitrichoides, tiger lotus, red rubin sword, Limnophila aromatica

Any other suggestions?

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
E
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by D3monic; 04-20-2012 at 01:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Would microrasbora galaxy go ok with killifish and tetras?

Canon Pimp Club #019

"I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip"

E

post #3 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Is the Fluval G6 really worth the outrageous price tag? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=21092

or am I better off going with the eheim G or pro series?

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #4 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok.....eheim it is.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #5 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yay tax returns here!

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #6 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Getting ready to run up to petsmart or where ever to pick up my 75 or 90gal tank.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #7 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow sounds cool! I'm not sure if I can offer any help but it sure sounds cool! Apistos are cool fish that are super cool! Many choices in type and most are small and pretty as well as being relatively easy to breed.

I run a 10# co2 setup on my 75 and it seems sufficient but I had leaks so my refills were premature and not typical. From what I read 5# should be sufficient for a 75 the 10# was a criagslist bargain is why I have that size.

Good luck looking forward to what you come up with.

10 gallon journal - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=158315
75 gallon journal - https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=151037
post #8 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3monic View Post
Is the Fluval G6 really worth the outrageous price tag? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...2&pcatid=21092

or am I better off going with the eheim G or pro series?
Hagen makes really good stuff (other than their test kits - they suck) but it is usually overpriced. Good that you decided against it in the end.

Hawkian

post #9 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

ok not to keep flip flopping but it looks like I am going to go with a 75gal aqeon if I can find one local.

For filtrations its going to be eheim ultra G 160 (don't think this is over kill do you?)

Substratum will be black diamond and eco complete. How many bags do you think I would need?

For a background I am going to go with the aqua terra 3d rainforest or canyon I can't make up my mind.

What are some good brands of Test kits and what exactly should I be testing for in Fresh water?

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #10 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

For Co2 is this a good deal for a tank? http://www.amazon.com/5-LB-CO2-Cylin.../dp/B0023VE8F2

Is this regulator any good?
http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Inst...8307258&sr=1-1

I should be able to program my controller to turn off and on the CO2 when ph reaches certain points

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #11 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Substratum will be black diamond and eco complete. How many bags do you think I would need?
I like the look of 2-3 inches of substrate

https://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

Quote:
What are some good brands of Test kits and what exactly should I be testing for in Fresh water?
Seachem, salifert, elos make good kits. But the testing procedure is really what matters. Make sure you make reference solutions. Take a few different samples from the tank if you're really want accurate results. If you're spending that much money on test kits and taking the time to test your water, i'm guessing you're interested in the tests being accurate.

As for what you can test for, that rabbit whole goes down a long ways...

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, KH, GH, and CO2 with a drop checker, are the most common ones.

No matter what though, distinguishing color is somewhat difficult, depending on your eyesight, background light, etc.

Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people

l
l
l
post #12 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
ok not to keep flip flopping but it looks like I am going to go with a 75gal aqeon if I can find one local.

For filtrations its going to be eheim ultra G 160 (don't think this is over kill do you?)

For a background I am going to go with the aqua terra 3d rainforest or canyon I can't make up my mind.
i just picked up an aqueon 75 at a lfs for $89.00 the other day. then the wife gives me the green light on the 125g i wanted!! :-) god bless the I.R.S.!!!LOL so i guess it will sit until i can gather equipment

i'm a believer in the school of thought that you can't have enough filtration. i kinda like the idea you had about the r/o canister as a prefilter, but i would plumb it with a bypass so that cleaning it won't cause too much of a headache or mess.

if you are really going to put tetras in the tank, then go for the rainforest or amazon tree. they would look sweet!! now i'm thinking the amazon tree with a bunch of swords and crypts in my 75 with a school of about 50 cardinals in it.

-Bill

post #13 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
god bless the I.R.S.!!!LOL

now i'm thinking the amazon tree with a bunch of swords and crypts in my 75 with a school of about 50 cardinals in it.
Don't forget a school of Galaxy Rasboras!

I like those backgrounds because theres enough room behind them that you can run all your filtration, heating and probes behind them out of site.

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #14 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok heres what I got planned for fish so far,

6-8 Galaxy Rasbosa

10-15 CRS

2-3 otos

5 Green or dwarf corydoras

a couple Gardneri Clown (Killifish)

and maybe a handfull of blue tetra

Am I missing anything on the clean up crew side?

Canon Pimp Club #019

E

post #15 of 137 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 07:41 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ok heres what I got planned for fish so far,

6-8 Galaxy Rasbosa

10-15 CRS

2-3 otos

5 Green or dwarf corydoras

a couple Gardneri Clown (Killifish)

and maybe a handfull of blue tetra

Am I missing anything on the clean up crew side?
I would add some amano shrimp and a few more otos, but other then that its looking good.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode