Chad's Possible Train Wreck aka First timer w/ 125g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Chad's Possible Train Wreck aka First timer w/ 125g

This is not only my first journal but my first planted tank, so please bear with me and PLEASE offer any criticism and commentst that you may have.

Thanks fopr looking!

Equipment
6 ft 125 gallon
FX5
Hydor inline 300w
CO2 powerhead injested
2 x 6 ft Sun Blaze T5 (may add another later playing it by ear)

Substrate
Mineralized MGOPS capped with flourite original

The plan as of right now:

I am getting a bunch of Limnophila Aramatica for the background, which ill allow to grow about 3/4 of the way up on the left but will trim it down progressively as it moves to the right toward the rock formation. With some Bocopa Japan thrown in for more green along that wall as well.

If you look at the rock formation you will see that there is a small void space behind the 3 tall stones. That will house my focal point plant which will be a large grouping of Echinodorus Urguayensis or Echinodorus Major. I havent decided which. Basically a broad leaf or a narrower one.

The mid and forground along with the far right side will be covered with carpeting plants, DHC, HC and UG (between all the rocks). With a dozen or so cryptos and petite nanas. mixed in.

The driftwood with be covered with Fiss and pellia (IF i can find any that is).

I want ALOT of open space up front for a large school of fish, which ATM, i am leaning toward 30-50 cherry barbs and 12 tiger barbs for contrast. And 6 darters of various kinds and a clean up crew of course.

Thats my plan thus far. But it chances a bit here and there. You know how it goes.

I start my DSM tomorrow.

Sorry about the crappy iphone pics

light diffuser mound

Front shot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Really loving the hardscape, that tree on the left is great! I am looking forward to seeing this progress.

post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I love the stump on the left, great piece.

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks, i got that piece from The Driftwood Store. And found the rest.

There are 2 types of people on this forum. Those that have algae, and those that lie and say they don't.
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
I love the stump on the left, great piece.
I agree! Is that piece as nice as it looks in the picture?

post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
nice start!

(A)narchy Love
The Fraternity of Dirt #2
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
It sound good so far with no problems, the only warning would be wary of C02 reactors with a high flow filter like the FX5 as you will greatly reduce your flow. I would run any and all reactors, heater, etc. from a seperate pump with no more than 275 gph to keep things working well and this includes UV if you are so inclined.

But it looks good to start so I can't wait to see it with plants and I have never seen a tank with that many Cherry Barbs but I do keep 9, just remember to double up on the females. Here's a couple of mine.

See how the gang up on the female they like.

Excuse the algae but the females are not as red but they are just as beautiful IMO, good luck and lots of pics please.

post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
thanks, i got that piece from The Driftwood Store. And found the rest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
I agree! Is that piece as nice as it looks in the picture?
I think so. I just love the stump look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonconductive View Post
nice start!
thx i appreciate it

post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
It sound good so far with no problems, the only warning would be wary of C02 reactors with a high flow filter like the FX5 as you will greatly reduce your flow. I would run any and all reactors, heater, etc. from a seperate pump with no more than 275 gph to keep things working well and this includes UV if you are so inclined.

But it looks good to start so I can't wait to see it with plants and I have never seen a tank with that many Cherry Barbs but I do keep 9, just remember to double up on the females. Here's a couple of mine.

See how the gang up on the female they like.

Excuse the algae but the females are not as red but they are just as beautiful IMO, good luck and lots of pics please.
I am not going to use a reactor. I am copying Speedie powerhead idea to inject the CO2 into the tank.

The only thing that i will have inline from the FX5 will be the heater. Im splitting the 1" return line into 2 x 5/8 lines, putting the Hydor on one side and a vlave on the other.

Your cherrys are beautiful. How do you think 30+ will school and get along in my tank?

post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

After speaking with Hoppy, i decided to pick up some Sun Blaze T5 HO fixtures. I had to get 2 two footers and 2 four footers. I got them mounted and man are they BRIGHT! Il post pics of the tank all lit up soon.

post #11 of 64 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 11:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
They do school a little but not like Rummynosed Tetras, but they may act differently in such a large group, no matter what they are going to look good, IMO. That's a good idea for the heater so you don't loose any flow and it should work on other items too. Good luck with the lights.

post #12 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

here is how i anchored the big stump DW.

post #13 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadRamsey View Post
I am not going to use a reactor. I am copying Speedie powerhead idea to inject the CO2 into the tank.
What's the Speedie PH idea? Haven't come across that one.

post #14 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
What's the Speedie PH idea? Haven't come across that one.

Somewhere in this thread is a discussion about it. around page 100 or so.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...iver-wild.html

basically the CO2 tubing goes into the tank, and is inserted into the intake of the powerhead, the bubbles get "chopped" up by the impeller, and thus distributed to the tank. I hope!!

post #15 of 64 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Planted Member

Thanks. I did a search of the thread and it looks like it starts around page 63.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode