Dormroom 5.5 gallon (update 3/7/12) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
Dormroom 5.5 gallon (update 3/7/12)

so after taking down 20 long to try and free up some time, im deciding to set up a new tank. unfortunately im now convinced that aquariums are addictive, as this is a typical cycle of detox and relapse (even fits into the timeframe).

Setup:
5.5 gallon glass aquarium
Azoo palm filter (filled with filter floss, carbon, and biomedia)
powerhead (for a bit of extra flow)
10watt florescent desk light (6000k)
flourite

im planning on making this a low-light betta tank, with lots of moss on various sized rocks to make a rolling hills type aesthetic. maybe with some driftwood and a fern and or petite.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Last edited by @[email protected]; 03-08-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

tank is still a trainwreck in terms of aquascaping, so no pics. but ill show off my back orchid CT betta:

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

here are some shots:

FTS

zebra nertie

new bud on ludwiga

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
wicked nice tank! im surprised your betta likes the extra flow from the power head. for a while i was convinced that i had the only betta that actually liked lots of water movement haha. i wish my school allowed fish tanks in the dorms so i could display my two tanks 24/7 instead of covering them up when i have to leave.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thanks

im pretty sure the idea that bettas cant stand flow is bs. when i tried my hand at breeding, i used a 10 gal with an ehiem at full blast. for 48 hours, the fish were literal being blown in circles. but by the end of the week they had no trouble swimming.
i also read moderate flow is good for CTs, and that it can reduce ray curling.

my school doesnt "allow" tanks either. but my RA saw it, and doesnt care.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:21 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
i definitely agree with you. after a day or so my betta rode the current around in the tank. it makes sense that it would reduce ray curling with the extra flow going across them. the idea that they don't like strong currents probably just came from the bettas kind of freaking out when first introduced to it.

a couple of my friends are RAs and they think my tanks are the coolest thing ever. i just feel awakward running to the bathroom emptying and filling a one gallon jug while im doing water changes haha
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

thats how i felt. i was using an arizona iced tea jug. then i went out and bought a 3gal bucket.
but i only use it to fill. water being pulled out of the tank goes right out the window and down the building into the grass.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i just finished treating my betta for velvet. used a blackout, salt, and went out and got copper sulfate (might not have been necessary, but i preffer overtreatement to undertreatement). all the tank inhabitants are completely fine now. the snails didnt react to it at all, and 2 hitchhiking RCS didnt care at all (was very surprised).

some pics:

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode