The Tall Boy Cube (new picts 2-10) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 05:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
The Tall Boy Cube (new picts 2-10)

I have had this cube for about five years. This is its current state as 2-10-12

This is where I restarted the process of tweaking it. 1-27-12

It has been through everything I have in my planted tank hobby. First use- Natural Planted, Walstad style low light, low tech. Don't have a lot pictures form those days.

It has been full on 5 WPG high tech metal halide bad boy farm. This has grown a few things! Mad CO2, short photoperiod, etc. Huge flows, with big filter, additional circulation, the whole high tech enchilda.

Now that my friends is pearling.

Once again it is going to change. I am not really sure where I am going with this tank next, but it will be different in the near future. I will show you where I go with it, and hopefully you will enjoy the journey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
18"x18"x22"

Last edited by endgin28; 02-11-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:13 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great Tank!! What substrate are you using?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have Amazonia in the tank right now, with a cap of new Amazonia multi type. I will have some new plants that I will be incorporating soon and may do some hard scape adjustments.

18"x18"x22"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 04:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just for the record these are some hardware, software and zoology of this tank.
18"x 18"x 22" starfire glass tank

Fluval 306 filter- foam, cocoa puffs, carbon, purigen, peat, floss

Hydor 300w heater (set to 72, gets to 82 with mh for 6 hours)

Current design 150watt MH pendant, 8000k green Ada bulb (liked the standard better- probably moving to LED in the future) 6 hour photoperiod.

Hand made acrylic lilies
Ada amazonia original plus power sand spec (2 years old now, still pretty good.). Supplement crypts with tabs at this point. Power sand is a pain, but may have helped maintain, not sure.

5lb CO2 bottle, single stage reg, two needle valves (run two tanks), Ceramic one inch diffuser in tank. Four Bps.

Siryu stones

Livestock
10 espei rasboras
Four Amano shrimp
50 plus RCS (low grade hitch hikers gone wild)
Three otocinclus cats (edit- can only find two and moved one of them onto another project 2-10-12)
Four or five nerites

Plants
Fissidens, willow moss, C. Parva, C. Wenditii, C. lucens (I think), C retrospiralis, C. Balansae, crinum calmistratum, bolbitis hedoloti, blyxa japonica, dwarf hair grass

E.I. Dosing regime currently. It has also been potting soil, MCI, seachem and nothing at all for a while.

18"x18"x22"

Last edited by endgin28; 02-11-2012 at 03:41 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Awesome tank! Love the dimensions, and the progression.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So here are a couple of shots. But after one a little history.

So, after December, my tank was in pretty shoddy health for my tastes. I had a major nitrogen deficiency; I had made a mismeasured batch of mixed DIY NPK solution that I thought was about right and wasn't, and I had a three pound mass of bolbitis in the corner of the tank that was clogging my Eheim 2026's intake and would also suck down every smidge of fertz that were in the tank. The crinum was happy, but that was a miracle. Everything else showed signs of issues I had been neglecting. The only thing really keeping it together was the massive amount of CO2 I run and the fact that my 2 year old ADA bulb was nearly toast, in my honest opinion.

Since then, I reset root tabs, pulled the B, replaced the bulb with a green one (still don't like the spectrum that much, a little to green for my tastes), went back to good old E.I., and started to replant the tank in the glacial style with parva in the front. Pruning is pain. A friend hooked me up with a bit of extra parva, and since then the carpet is moving the right way. He also hooked me up with a couple of random crypts- I think its lucens and retrospiralis, but I have not nailed it down yet (haven't been trying either, frankly I just want to see if they melt or not before I get upset). Any guesses on ID's? They are in some of these shots, but aren't really focal.

I think he's sitting on lucens, but he could just be sitting on wendtii intstead, bad angle.

Retrospiralis, right?

Got some crazy GSA (edit i think i meant GDA) going on the rocks plus I really think the green bulb makes it look worse than it is. Plus, I only have one otto in there, and frankly the plants are digging it right now and are free of algae, so I am not getting into the algae freak out mode yet, or really ever. I can clean the rock if I feel like it, but I have three show tanks running right now, two of which need more work than this one. Hope you like the pictures, I know they aren't perfect. I see a DSLR and a macro lens in my future.

18"x18"x22"

Last edited by endgin28; 02-11-2012 at 06:19 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

New pictures. Still super green color from ADA bulb, but it is getting pretty close to where I want it. I have let the dust algae go wild. hit it up with a magic eraser for a second but wasn't thorough. My otto looks like he is going to burst. I want the parva to keep filling in. I will be selling some blyxa this weekend, so it will be thinned. The other crypts are growing in nicely. The bolbitis is suffering and may be pulled from the scape. The parva has shot a lot of runners around the tank. The crinum still is kicking out daughter plants. Fish are happy, one siamensis has decided that food is easier than scraping, and acts like a bully but everyone is pretty agile and can deal...

This is my fly tying room tank space. I will do a photo journal with the Mini M on the left in the future.

18"x18"x22"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
yes i think that is c. retrospiralis with the yellow mid vein
i havent managed to grow a c. parva lawn
they're too slow sometimes i think its stagnant

what plant is this? is it blyxa?

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-09-2012, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yeah blyxa japonica. Under really high light and food it turns brown and the reticulation shows up. Love that plant.

18"x18"x22"

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode