"Dirt Cheap" 10g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
"Dirt Cheap" 10g

ok, so I had an extra 10 gallon sittin on the counter that temporarily housed my gouramis. It was just sitting there on the counter taunting me. It was screaming "Plant Me! Plant Me!" So anyways, I ran outside and grabbed a bag of Miracle Grow Organic Complete. so I tossed that in and added some water. I apparently missed the part in my readings on this forum that says dirt floats without sand..... so I drained off what water I could and topped it off with some sand that we had laying around for weight in the back of the truck. Yeah, its play sand. I don't care. It was free. I had some wisteria that needed a trim in my 38.... Well not really, but whats the point of having an empty tank? I also tossed in some of my Brazilian Pennywort that is floating in the big tank.

Then I got to thinking today.... Wait a second! I think I have a bunch of aquarium stuff in the basement. So I went on a scavenger hunt. (If you saw my basement you would understand it really was a hunt lol) So anyways, I found a glass top for the tank and a little light. I tossed a 13 watt CFL in the light and BINGO! we have a little almost planted tank for absolutly nothing!

So far its pretty bare, but the whole point of this little tank is to not spend much of anything on it, just to see if I can even do it.

Logically I think I can. If I use trimmings from the big tank for the plants, and hand-me-downs for the equipment that I will need. I think I can put together a nice little tank for next to nothing.... Now will my will power allow me to? Thats a whole different world all together.

Once I get the tank filled, I'll take a picture of it. But I'm to lazy to do it tonight.

Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Went scavaging again, found a little Zoo Med Turtle Clean Filter 318 with nothing but course filter sponge in it. Dialed that down all the way and filled the tank the rest of the way. Debating about adding a little ferts to the tank to jump start the plants. They have been without light for a few days, so they are looking pretty rough. Will try to get some pics up later.

Laura

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

sorry about the bad pic, took it with my phone!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Laura

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What bulb are you using, 6500K?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Laura maybe we need a low budget tank thread my 10gl is pretty much a dumpster diver tank. Not the nicest scape I 've every done but, a very healthy tank that is pretty fun.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
What bulb are you using, 6500K?
Honestly I have no clue. I doubt it. It was something I had laying around. A friend of mine is going to give me a dual incadescent fixture that he has, so I do plan on getting some 6500k CFL's but for now its whatever was in the fixture I had

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
Laura maybe we need a low budget tank thread my 10gl is pretty much a dumpster diver tank. Not the nicest scape I 've every done but, a very healthy tank that is pretty fun.
haha that wouldn't be a bad idea, just so newbies on the forum know that cheap is still possible with planted tanks.

Laura

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Nothing new on this tank just yet. Waiting on the plants in my other tank to take off so I can trim and put some more stuff in this tank!

Laura

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Good luck with that tank!

I just recently started a 10G with the same soil and sand as yours. The only difference is that I didn't have anything on-hand so I had to buy it all. As you can imagine it wasn't dirt cheap... but it's got dirt! lol!

Hawkian

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
DOH! Another tank thread I have to follow now.

Love it so far. What plants do you have in the other tank that you are going to put in there? If you don't want to wait, I have a bunch of plants I would be willing to share that would do great in there. Let me know, and keep up the good work.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would love some more! I have some Hygrophilia angustifolia, Limnophila sessiliflora, & Helanthium tenellum that I am hoping to add to it once it fills in a bit in the big tank. But that's probably going to be awhile, but I would love some more to put in it sooner. PM me! Thank you so much! This forum is absolutely amazing!

Laura

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
I would love some more! I have some Hygrophilia angustifolia, Limnophila sessiliflora, & Helanthium tenellum that I am hoping to add to it once it fills in a bit in the big tank. But that's probably going to be awhile, but I would love some more to put in it sooner. PM me! Thank you so much! This forum is absolutely amazing!
The Hygrophilia angustifolia will get huge if you let it. I have some in my 20 gallon and it is quickly taking over one corner. Awesome plant though. And the Limnophila sessiliflora will grow like a weed, but worth it. The other one I have never had. I have a few more stem plants that will do well for you and sent you a PM this morning.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

well, my sunset hygro has now moved over to this tank.... and I added another plant, can't remember which one now. I ordered a plant package today for the other tank, and the extras are going over to this tank.... As of right now, I think I'm putting the following in here:
5 corkscrew vals
salvia minuata
Java ferns
crypt walkeri

Also may start adding co2 to this tank. Not quite fully decided on this yet.... so we'll see where my mood takes me

Laura

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

wow I'm massive due for an update here! I can't even remember what one of the plants is that is doing really well in this tank, I'll have to look it up, but I now have Wisteria, Sunset Hygro, Willow Hygro, random crypts, and a couple of java ferns in here. Also have some duckweed and Sylvania minima floating. I stuck some Hydrocotyle in the substrate just to see how it does, I've gotten two new leaves so far... so we'll see. I'm due for a trim, but waiting until Sunday so I can take the trimmings to our club meeting.

oh yeah, breeding pair of Dwarf Gouramis are the only intentional inhabitants... couple of random snails that I cull as I find them

Laura

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura View Post
wow I'm massive due for an update here! I can't even remember what one of the plants is that is doing really well in this tank, I'll have to look it up, but I now have Wisteria, Sunset Hygro, Willow Hygro, random crypts, and a couple of java ferns in here. Also have some duckweed and Sylvania minima floating. I stuck some Hydrocotyle in the substrate just to see how it does, I've gotten two new leaves so far... so we'll see. I'm due for a trim, but waiting until Sunday so I can take the trimmings to our club meeting.

oh yeah, breeding pair of Dwarf Gouramis are the only intentional inhabitants... couple of random snails that I cull as I find them
Tank looks good. You have some Hygrophyla sp. 'Angustifolia' in there, or is that the willow hygro? And I see some Limnophila sessiliflora. Looks like you are getting amazing growth out of everything.

And sorry about the snails. I am sure those came from me. I tried.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Lmao the snails are no big deal. My daughter likes to play with them before we toss them outside... They "play" on her lego sets before they go "play" outside lol. The Hygro Angustifolia is the willow hygro. the Limnophila sessiflora is what I can never remember what it is lol. This tank is really doing well. I can wait to see how the new crypts and java ferns do in there. I think I have too much floater in there, so I'm going to clear some out and take it to the club meeting on Sunday.

Laura

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode