My Continuing Project: A New Beginning - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Continuing Project: A New Beginning

I've been gone an awful long time as far as this forum is concerned. I've been around, lurking in the shadows I suppose. The majority of the plants and fish that got me hooked to this hobby are long gone, with only one plant an exception to that. Nearly all of my tanks have been passed to friends and coworkers to help establish a passion for fish keeping in young children and old 'kids' alike. My saltwater tanks all turned in and traded at the LFS, for equipment etc. The good news is, I still have two tanks set up in my home. One is mine, and currently exists as a 30g cube. The other is run by an 8 year old girl, and is a ten gallon.

The second half of this story is that I was recently laid off. The loss of the job has provided me a lot more free time to revisit my hobbies. It's also causing me to relocate. I currently live on the Central Coast of California, but I will be moving in about a month to Bridgeport, Texas. The resulting relocation is obviously bringing some changes to my tank. I'll document and explain those changes here. This hobby has provided me with an outlet filled with challenge and victory met in a relaxing setting. With so much turmoil around me, I've rediscovered how I truly love my aquarium.

Currently I'm sad to say my tank is pretty poorly cared for. I've only recently added six angels(2 ghosts, 1 smokey, 3 golds) from a good friend who breeds them. They have been in their home for about 4 months now, and are still quite young. I also have a female Betta splendens, a small handful or White Cloud Mountain Minnows and 3 Pseudomugil furcatus. Theres also 3 cory cats and a SAE. Rams Horn snails and Malaysian Trumpet snails are the only invert survivors after either the Betta or the angels ate all the Cherry and Amano Shrimp.

For plants, I have Crypts and Aponogetons. I have one Echinodorus osiris that I have had since my first planted tank. it has had years of thriving, and a few of decay. It split into two plants, one of which I traded off, and the other I have kept "alive." It's been slowly dying over the last 6 months due to a stint where I tried using LED fixtures. I am currently waiting on a new t5 fixture to be delivered. I recently added a Banana Lilly, and I stole some moss from the ten gallon and tied it to an old piece of wood I had. They've been in the tank for 2 days as of Jan 23rd 2012.

I'm currently using Eco Complete substrate, but I've always had better success with Flourite, and will be returning to Flourite and the Carib Sea equivalent blended together when I move. I'm not currently running CO2, but I have a newly refilled tank and solenoid under the tank, and will return to using it post move as well. The LEDs didn't put off near enough light to warrant the CO2. (The ten gallon tank has thrived under the LEDs, for the record)

I'll get some higher quality pictures taken for you guys soon. These are from my cell phone.

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Just a status update

I bought some new substrate, and got a bucket to rinse and transport it in. I'll be out in the "country" upon arrival, so I'd like to be as ready to go as possible when I get there for tank setup. There isn't a LFS (worth noting), so I can't just run to town if I'm short gravel or something. I'm also working on preparing a bucket with an aeration system to move the fish in. I'll have a few plants in that bucket to help lower stress, but move the majority of the plant life in a third bucket. I'll also travel with 20 gallons of RO. I'll document all of this, and the trip. I'm hoping I don't lose any fish, but that may or may not pan out. It's a three day trip. I need to go get a piece of glass cut as well to make my lid fit my tank correctly. My plumbing from my filter doesn't allow the original one to fit. More to come....

Planted tanks are all about shrimp.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode