125 Gallon AngelFish Paradise - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
125 Gallon AngelFish Paradise

I recently purchased a beautiful Aqueon 6 foot tank and after some thought and planing I put together a bit of a different design than i've seen before... basically it's a sand bottom but with two planted islands on the sides.

I made acrylic barriers to separate the silica sand from the eco-complete and hope that the fish don't decide to re-decorate too much

Equipment:
Lighting: two 36" Odyssea T5HOx3 + LED moonlights
Filter: Eheim Pro3 2080
5lbs CO2 cylinder with ceramic diffuser
Titanium heater

Here's some pics I took along the way.

Tank in its final resting place

Using a heat gun to shape acrylic strips to form the substrate barrier

Test fit

Trimmed down a little

Glued in place and filled with sand

Now the real work begins!

Mike

125 Gallon Angel Fish Paradise
5.5 Gallon Chi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's a bunch of pics from the planting and setup:

Didn't know how many of these I had till i separated them all!

Mike

5.5 Gallon Chi
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mike

5.5 Gallon Chi

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Mike

5.5 Gallon Chi
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And here's a cool attempt to get the leafs logo reflected off of my television

Mike

5.5 Gallon Chi
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sweeeeeet!

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #58

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #20
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Planted Member

To me the biggest accomplishment is the firemouths that live with a school of neons...

Good job on the sand.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

This looks very nice! What a good idea to have the isolated "islands" of plants.

If I could offer one area to improve it would have to be the rock borders around the "islands". IMO this is a bit too contrived, it almost seems like somones back yard garden as opposed to making a more natural transition. Maybe try mixing up the size and shape of the rocks or even better maybe add in some DW with some anubias nana or maybe some type of moss attached, I think that would look really sharp.

Over all I really like it though - good job.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtdad2 View Post
Sweeeeeet!
Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by koiboi View Post
To me the biggest accomplishment is the firemouths that live with a school of neons...

Good job on the sand.
Ya that didn't last long.... unfortunately I didn't do much research on those firemouths before they went in so now my school of 60 neons is down to about 20 lol might have to find a new home for those guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyFish View Post
This looks very nice! What a good idea to have the isolated "islands" of plants.

If I could offer one area to improve it would have to be the rock borders around the "islands". IMO this is a bit too contrived, it almost seems like somones back yard garden as opposed to making a more natural transition. Maybe try mixing up the size and shape of the rocks or even better maybe add in some DW with some anubias nana or maybe some type of moss attached, I think that would look really sharp.

Over all I really like it though - good job.
thank you for the advice... i've always tried more of a natural look on my other tanks but this one was actually supposed to look like a garden guess it worked! lol Plus the stones actually block the acrylic barriers which stand an inch above the surface of the sand and substrate.

Mike

5.5 Gallon Chi
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:26 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Wow! You put so much work into this tank. It's beautiful!

~Natalie |

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 02:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you keilatan! it's a lot of work but it's soooo fun to look at every day

Mike

5.5 Gallon Chi
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well it's been a while since I've posted an update so I figure it's about time. The tank is doing great since my recent scare. I've had no deaths since I last reported and everyone including the 3 remaining Angel Fish are doing very well. There are a couple additions to the tank this week. I got a very colourful Gouramais (not sure of the species) and also I bought a school of 100 white cloud minnows. The plants are flourishing and I've actually already trimmed and relocated 3 big stems of pogostemon to the other side of the tank. The hygrophilia is overdue for a trim.

Here are a couple new pics that I took recently.

Mike

5.5 Gallon Chi
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well another day off, another trip to a couple stores, another bunch of additions to my tank!

First off I have been wanting for a while to find a female crowntail betta to try out with Lucifer in my tank. I haven't ever tried to put two bettas together but I figured with a 6 foot tank if she didn't like him there would be plenty of room to keep to herself. If anyone has experience with betta pairs I would love some advice on the subject. Right off the bat the male is extremely interested in her and he is following her around but there has been no sign of any aggression at all by either of them. They seem to just be feeling eachother out which I see as a positive. I figured it would be pretty clear pretty quick whether this was a good or bad choice.

The second addition to the tank is a school of 36 pearl danios. These guys have some great colour and will fill in that upper stratum of the tank that has been pretty empty up to this point.

I also got a couple plants and have no clue what they are but they look great, I will be starting a plant ID thread but if you know what these are please let me know.

Heres the pics from today

Mike

5.5 Gallon Chi
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
wait, you have a male betta, female betta, and gourami, all in the same tank?
if the bettas are b. splendens (which is looks like, a vieltail male and crowntail female), you gourami is gonna get harassed to death, and depending on the males temperament, your female will be too.
b. splendens do not pair like other species of betta. and they are very territorial toward related fish, like gouramis.

love the tank though.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
wait, you have a male betta, female betta, and gourami, all in the same tank?
if the bettas are b. splendens (which is looks like, a vieltail male and crowntail female), you gourami is gonna get harassed to death, and depending on the males temperament, your female will be too.
b. splendens do not pair like other species of betta. and they are very territorial toward related fish, like gouramis.

love the tank though.
the male is a crowntail as well as the female, and so far I havn't seen any aggression toward the gouramai, but thanks for the heads up.. I will keep an eye on them.

Mike

5.5 Gallon Chi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode