45g Dirt - Rams & Angel - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
45g Dirt - Rams & Angel

Hey Planted Tank! Well, I guess I have been stalking the forums and asking enough questions, so I finally decided to create a journal! This will be the journal for my 45 gallon high. This is only my second tank, I'm a fourteen year old whose new to the hobby and appreciates any advice you have for him! I could really use some ideas on how to aquascape it. Here are the stats.

Lighting: Coral Life dual HO T5 fixture.

Filtration: Aqueon Quiet Flow 55/75.

Substrate: Miracle Grow Organic Potting Mix capped with Floramax.

Flora:dwarf sag, vals, amazon sword, crypts, java fern, Madagascar lace plant, rotala, and ludwigia.

fauna:2 Angelfish, 1 rams, school of tetras.

Last edited by mallardman12; 04-28-2012 at 05:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally filled up! It wasn't as cloudy as I expected. Everything is going well, except my filter is really loud...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Finally planted! I think It is looking good so far.
Left side

right side

Dwarf sag "carpet"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Algae Grower

Looks great!
I suggest looking at flourish excel, liquid fertilizers, root tablets, and co2 systems for your tank. These are all ways that people maintain plants in their aquariums. Some do a few of the above, others do all. Because you are using soil, the tabs are probably not needed.
I personally use the liquid fertilizer and root tabs. I started the liquid fertilizer a week ago and I see new growth already!
You might consider repositioning the filter to reduce noise. The air pump I have for my airstone can get really loud. I placed a cloth under it for a while before I relocated it entirely.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice. I don't plan to use any fertilizer just yet, because the tank is very new and the nutrients from the dirt is still in the water, or I'm assuming. In about a month I plan on weekly dosings of Flourish.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update! New growth on the Sword, lace plant, rotala, and jungle vallisneria!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was a little disappointed when I saw the tank this morning. I trimmed the old leaves of the lace plant and I pulled off all the melting leaves on the dwarf sag. The rotala seems like the only thing that is growing steadily. I don't know if I'm crazy about the sword in the corner, it isn't looking very healthy.

FTS

Melting dwarf sag

Pretty cool crypt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

Looks good brother!

Don't stress out about the melting dwarf sag, mine half melts whenever I move it. Trust me, before too long you will be yanking that stuff out by the handful! That's the hardest part about this hobby for me is the patience. It looks like you are definitely starting out right though. With a dirt tank your stuff will start taking off, don't worry.

How many hours a day are you running your lights? I would try to stay between 6-10 hours a day until you realize how powerful your lights are. It's easier to not get algae then it is to get rid of it, lol.

Do you have any fish yet? I didn't notice any, and you probably need to get some to help feed the plants. If not make sure you drop some fish food in there anyways to get the cycle going. I know it sounds silly to feed no fish, but do it anyways, the food will break down and get things going. With plants and no fish your water will be almost sterile, lacking the good bacteria you need for a balanced aquarium. Just don't overdo it, lol.

I saw your fish list...one word of warning on the Angels. They may seem cute and cuddly, but they are cichlids. They have a pretty mean "pecking" order. If you get just two a lot of the times the tough one will bully the smaller one. It's best to keep them alone, or in a group of at least five to prevent this. Getting five of them in a 40 gallon is OK as long as they are small, but Angels do get rather large. If you think someday you will have a place to put them as they grow or a pet store that will take them in then go for it. I'm just letting you know the ins and outs of Angel fish. That said, Angels are my favorite fish. Mine are like little wet dogs, I love them.

Keep us posted! And if you need anything don't hesitate to ask!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks a ton! I have been dosing flourish comprehensive weekly and and just got daylight bulbs yesterday. I just hope I will get a pair of angels. I usually have lights on for 6 hours a day on week days and 12 hours on the weekend.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallardman12 View Post
Thanks a ton! I have been dosing flourish comprehensive weekly and and just got daylight bulbs yesterday. I just hope I will get a pair of angels. I usually have lights on for 6 hours a day on week days and 12 hours on the weekend.
Light sounds good. Again, careful on a pair of Angels...sometimes that doesn't end well. My opinion, 5 angel minimum. You might get lucky and get a couple of chill ones.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2012, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice! I'll have to decide soon.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The tank is progressing well. The sag is almost done melting and everything else is showing new growth. I moved the sword and ludwigia and I think it looks better.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Update! Not much has changed but it seems to be growing in well.

First runner? Is it too deep in the substrate?

FTS
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New fish!

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-28-2012, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well neither of the gold rams made it more then three days, but my bolivan ram is doing great for over a week now! The tank is actually starting to fill in. 10 penguin tetras should be in on Thursday!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode