Dss2004's 46 Gallon BF (Updated 1/16/06) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dss2004's 46 Gallon BF (Updated 1/16/06)

Hello I have stolen so much information from this site I figured I would finally join. I have always browsed around and found that a lot of people would ask the question I needed answered. Therefore I would just hijack the help and use it for my own needs.

Anyway you guys always provide thorough and rapid responses to questions and I undoubtly have benefited from your knowledge, so I just wanted to say thanks.

I also wanted to post a pic of my first planted tank. It is kind of crazy with different plants but I really just wanted to see what I could grow. I will post a better picture tomorrow as the one I have now is a bit old.

The tank is a 46 gallon bow-front with 96W pc lighting and pressurized co2. The substrate is all eco-complete.

Fish:
Breeding pair of apistos
2 bolivian rams
3 SAE
1 American-Flag Fish
2 Platys
1 Angel
4 otos
Bunch of Amano shrimp

Plants:
Mostly ludwigia narrow and broad
Hairgrass of the dwarf variety
couple different swords
Tiger Lotus small but starting to put on size
Wisteria
Rotala Indica
Some Java Fern
Crypt "bronze"
Some Giant Hygro that has grown to be a lot bigger than I ever thougth imaginable for a stem plant
And other that I can't think of right now.

Anyway I will post a better pic tomorrow. Thanks again for all the great threads and posts.

http://img195.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img1...tankpic7ny.jpg

Last edited by dss2004; 01-16-2006 at 11:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Welcome to planted tank, nice tank you've got there. It looks fine to me, better than mine actually. It looks like you have put hard work into this tank. What kind of filtration do you have? I would also upgrade the lighting a bit, 2.1wpg isn't going to give you enough light for the hairgrass.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 04:34 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
DSS, with a tank that nice, I think you've been lurking for too long . Nice to have you finally posting.

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

About the dwarf hairgrass. A lot of people on my other forum told me the same thing but it is actually growing quite well. It has spread a few inches in all directions. I used only one pot and split the pieces up into five seperate parts and all have grown together. I have more light that I could add but right now everything is growing well, algae isn't a problem, and my fert regimn is set. I eventually want to remove some of the basic stem plants and go with some of the redder more difficult so I will probably move up on the lights.

Thanks again for the compliments guys! I really appreciate the nice words.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 05:24 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Another 46g bf. Gotta love it. Nice tank!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks BSS. Yeah I do like it but this tank has got me itching for something larger!!! I have a question for you. I was thinking about getting a 55w over the tank but haven't really decided how to do it. I have the 96w coralife and I want to add some more light in a few months. Question is do you have one fixture with the 96 and 55 or are they in seperate fixtures? Just curious!
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

Well I haven't posted an update since I moved. I had to tear the tank down and start all over again. Looking back it was nice to start over, but it has been a little rough going. I decided to go with a little higher light tank, and it has taken a little longer for things to balance out. I had a co2 problem for awhile but hopefully that is ironed out.

I know the tank looks a little crazy right now, but in a sense it does reflect my personality, so I can't say that I am suprised!! Anyway I wanted to start out with a bunch of stem plants and then slowly replace them with others. I actually just performed a pretty heavy pruning, so it looks quite a bit different than it did a couple of hours ago. I have way too many species of plants, but I can never commit to keeping only a few. I also wish I could get my hands of some of the rarer types of plants kept in those beautiful tanks I so often see on this site!

Anyway I hope you enjoy!!

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 04:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
Oooo! I really like this new layout/picture. Very chaotic, dark, and mysterious. Those are my favorite kinds of aquariums. It's like you can sit in front of the tank and just explore all the dark regions...

- Erik
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 05:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the kind words Troy. The turned over driftwood on the right has a hollow spot that runs the entire length. It is a great spot for the fish to move in and out. The bigger piece on the left has tons of knooks and crannies all throughout. I am currently keeping 6 dwarf cichlids so it helps to set up territories.

Thanks again!
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure
Very chaotic, dark, and mysterious. Those are my favorite kinds of aquariums. It's like you can sit in front of the tank and just explore all the dark regions...
I agree, it's a very nice tank. Kind of reminds me of lord of the rings.
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

*updated 8/18*

*Sorry pictures are so LARGE*

Well I finally got a tri-pod and a new photo center so I thought I would put them both to use by taking some pictures of the tank and it inhabitants.

Here is a picture of an Apistogramma baby that was born in my tank a few months ago.

Here is one of my Bolivian Rams

post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Very nice progression. The HM foreground looks very natural and the driftwood is perfect as your centerpiece. IMO the little moss or whatever at the tip kind of distracts from it--is it going to eventualy cover the whole log?

Great job!

Re-boot!
post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Really nice tank! Very much a "nature" tank! Which in you tank looks very cool. I second an earlier post - it's probably great to sit there for hours and look at the fish swimming in and out of the dark spots.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 01:30 AM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dss2004
Thanks BSS. .... Question is do you have one fixture with the 96 and 55 or are they in seperate fixtures? Just curious!
Hey dss,

Sorry I missed responding to this post way back when. Must have missed it. I currently have a DIY hood that housed both a single AHS 55w kit and a single AHS 96w kit. I actually started a full hood with a not-so-rounded front many, many moons ago so I could add in another 55w kit I have. But, it ain't done yet . Life just took ahold of me and hasn't let up yet!

Nice new look. Those fish shots are excellent. Well done!
post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys I really appreciate it!!

Georgiadawger, the moss is actually some more HM, I agree it is distracting. I do eventually want to cover it with some lower growing moss. I was just waiting a little longer for the tank to balance out. I don't want to end up with a moss full of algae.

Do you guys think it would look better with or without some moss attached to the tip?

Thanks again for any and all replies!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode