Mr. Aqua 11.4 Gallon, First Planted Tank (pic heavy) Advice Needed - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
Mr. Aqua 11.4 Gallon, First Planted Tank (pic heavy) Advice Needed

Did the nano-reef thing for a while, got bored, so trying this NPT thing out.

Tank: Mr. Aqua 11.4g
Light: Archaea 36 Watt
Filter: Eheim 2213
Heater: Hydor 200w inline
CO2: Fluval 20 Reg w/ bike cartridges, Fluval bubble counter, Do!Aqua Music 10D Diffuser. (Temporary while I build my Dual Stage setup)
Stand: 46 gallon bowfront, pine top added, painted white. $20 Craigslist Special. Might make an ADA knock-off eventually.

Progression over the last couple weeks...

Last edited by chubbyone; 02-17-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
That looks really great!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Planted Member

Turned out really nice. What animals will be housed in there?

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
That looks really great!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc91006 View Post
Turned out really nice. What animals will be housed in there?
Thank you! Still thinking about fauna. I really like the CPD's, and the "Orange" Australe Killi's. Don't want to put a top on though so the killi's are probably out of the question. I will probably toss a couple Oto's in with whatever I decide, and maybe some inexpensive shrimp.

I'm going to focus on flora over the next few weeks, as I still have a large portion of substrate awaiting plants, and my CO2 is inconsistent at best with the cheap fluval regulator. Once I get the plants settled in, I'll start my fish hunt.

Plants in there now, LFS names:
Tear Drop Rotala
Anubias Nana Narrow Leaf
Compact Hygro
Micro Sword

Any criticism welcomed!
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I have a small tank like that and I stocked it with 2 dwarf puffers and 2 bumblebee freshwater gobies---I love the interaction from both of those species--they come to the glass and beg for food like puppies--lol.

Nice tank, I dig the layout. It will look real nice when it grows in.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
love it!! that wood is gorgeous!

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3fan View Post
I have a small tank like that and I stocked it with 2 dwarf puffers and 2 bumblebee freshwater gobies---I love the interaction from both of those species--they come to the glass and beg for food like puppies--lol.

Nice tank, I dig the layout. It will look real nice when it grows in.
Thanks man, my name is Shane too! I have been eyeing a "pink lipped goby" at my LFS. Really cool personality. I have tossed around the idea of puffers as well, still undecided really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
love it!! that wood is gorgeous!
Thanks! Just plain old Malaysian DW from my LFS, $18 for both pieces, and it sinks right away. I just did a hot water rinse, and tossed it in. No tannin release at all, had a little white "slime" for a day or too, but siphoned it out and it is all clear.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
2 dwarf puffers would be awesome in this tank! As would a trio of pseudomugil gertruedae aru II!

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchidman View Post
2 dwarf puffers would be awesome in this tank! As would a trio of pseudomugil gertruedae aru II!
Those ARU II's are awesome little guys, but I don't even wanna fathom how hard they are to track down, and with no top I'd worry to leave the tanks side for fear of jumping.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Ah, I thought that was anubias, thought it might've been a lobella. that anubias is going to die if you leave it planted like that. It needs the rhizomes to be out of the substrate.

I like the placement of it though, you should take it out of the soil and tie to a small rock, that way you could still place it there and it won't rot.

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
Ah, I thought that was anubias, thought it might've been a lobella. that anubias is going to die if you leave it planted like that. It needs the rhizomes to be out of the substrate.

I like the placement of it though, you should take it out of the soil and tie to a small rock, that way you could still place it there and it won't rot.
I've been curious about this.

I bought the plant potted from my LFS, and it was rooted pretty well down into some fibrous material. I replanted the same way I got it. It has been ~2 weeks, the plant has actually put out a few new leaves in that time, to my surprise (slow grower I thought). So maybe I have enough of the rhizome exposed? Like I said, I emulated the planting of the pot it was in, so I just assumed it would be ok. I'll try and get a better picture in the next day or so.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Got some HC planted tonight. Also trimmed the Rotala down past the micro-sword sight line, as per the ADG method. Will have pics up tomorrow.

I guess for the first pruning/major planting it went well. Sure is time consuming getting HC to stay down. Worth it in the end though, I hope.

Anubias rhizome is exposed enough, I can't get a good picture with my camera (read phone). But I have quite a lot of new growth, and it's sent out a runner grabbing the DW.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 04:39 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (13/100%)
Nice little setup. Good luck with the HC, once it gets rooted in it should be fine just be sure to trim and it will go swimmingly.
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 05:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Wow nice looking tank! Those Mr. Aqua tanks are so nice, especially when done RIGHT like this one! Keep it up!

-=:Sketch804:=-

Fluval pimp #31

post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgin28 View Post
Nice little setup. Good luck with the HC, once it gets rooted in it should be fine just be sure to trim and it will go swimmingly.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I am optimistic, I got a nice dense planting. I went the small bushy planting route, as planting each individual stem would have kept me from any sort of sleep last night, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch804 View Post
Wow nice looking tank! Those Mr. Aqua tanks are so nice, especially when done RIGHT like this one! Keep it up!
Thanks so much man! I really appreciate it, I thought this would be a breeze compared to the SW tanks I have done. Turns out to be just as much, if not more, work; but, the quick growth of the plants satisfies my need for instant gratification way more than coral ever did.

pics incoming...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode