Gxnefishing 20 Gallon (56K warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gxnefishing 20 Gallon (56K warning)

Im hooked on this stuff! My first tank ill be doing is my Girlfriends 20 gallon. I have been lurking quite some time trying to answer my own questions and now ive deceided to post a journal and maybe ask what I can't find and share my journey with everyone else.
20 Gallon Living world tank

Filtration:
Aqua Clear 20
Bubble Stone
Whisper air pump

Lighting:
Stock Hood Single 15w 6500k Daylight bulb

Substrate:
Big Glob of Peatmoss
Sakrete Play Sand
Sea Glass

Plants:
Amazon Swords?
im working on getting names for the rest.

Fishes:
2 Paired Angelfish
1 Tigerbarb
1 Albino Tigerbarb
1 blue gourami
1 Catfish thingy

Last edited by GxneFishing; 01-24-2012 at 01:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is my first go around so its a learning experience in the works. I didn't have my heart set on a sand substrate but my girlfriend wanted to decorate the tank with her Sea Glass so beachy and sandy it shall be. I have my own 36 corner bow to play with so im good with letting her decorate one.
We started with a bit of sand, I dumped it straight from the bag into the tank, Added some water to help mold it to the outside of the tank and create a more matching front and sides. We planned on using Peatmoss and she would rather see sand than the black peatmoss covered by sand in the front. I grabbed a few handfuls of peatmoss and added water to it in a bucket. In the beginning this stuff hates water! IT floats right on top of it. We took a nice glob of it and added about a 1" layer to the bottom of the tank. So far were looking good. I had her add the plants to the peatmoss before adding the sand to try and avoid contanimation of the sand.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1070119.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	40446

Name:	P1070120.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	40447
Here just adding the sand around the plants nothing to special.

Name:	P1070123.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	40449

And here we are Done with the planting! The water was getting cool in the bucket the fish were in so we deceided to fill the tank at this point to give it time to filter, add the fish and do the sea glass later since it will be sitting on top of the sand anyway. I filled it very slowly at a slow drip almost running the water down the side of the tank trying to not stir up the sand. Well Lets just say as slow as we went and careful as we were the sand Cloud was Terrible! SO bad I didn't even bother to take pictures of it. Just imagine a tank full of red smoke... that was the tank! Lesson Learned! RINSE THE SAND FIRST. did a water change instantly (about 10 gallons) 1/2 the tank. It was a little better but still not even close to clear. Deceided to add the fish let them search theyre way thru the tank and get sanded down about while swimming. Where we stand this evening, The tank is not even close to clear. Its not even worth tanking the embaressing picture.

Name:	P1070124.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	40448
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Name:	IMAG0204.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	40598so its been a few days, we started over and removed the peat moss from thee bottom. after the angelfish ate the purple and green plants I decided to try to move them too another tank to save what was left I pulled plants out of the sand it created a geiser of peatmoss that came out from under the sand. hurrying to cover the hole with existing sand it was to late and just created another mess. the tank was not crystal clear to begin with so I wasnt to upset. we threw out all the substrate and started again with WELL rinsed sand.and no peatmoss.
my other half went on a plant buying spree yesterday and ended up with the plants above and constructed a slate cave for some cover. this its what I woke up too this morning. I like it but we have one factor with lighting. her hood consists of one T-8 15w plant light, liked they sell at walmart. its this enough light? I bought a 15w daylight bulb I believe its 5600k ifim not mistaken but from reading I need more watts correct? please help

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Name:	P1230186.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	40715

Name:	P1230189.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	40716

Name:	P1230190.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	40717

Name:	P1230195.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	40718

Name:	P1230199.jpg
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	40719

Name:	P1230211.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	40720

Name:	P1230212.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	40721
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well my angelfish have done it again,They are on their raage again. A week in the new habitat and here is another heap of eggs! lets hope they last this time all but 5 has been fertilized. last cycle i had movement out of the eggs like little wigglys came out then the angels deceided they were a nice snack and its all she wrote.
The 65k light doesnt seem to bother anybody except the gourami he has found a new home in the slate cave. I don't know if he is shy of the light or just likes the cave. He has never hid before he was always out towards the top of the tank. A few of the swords are starting to turn yellow and look wilted. Maybe wilted isnt the correct term but they just look thin and wavy. Time for some more research to see if it was a light issue or somekinda nutrient defficancy. I have never had a problem growing them in the past in gravel.

Name:	P1260217.jpg
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	40907
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The Angelfish eggs were eaten after the second day of being on the leafs, oh well that seems to be the norm for them the last few times. This plant seems to be the lucky charm of the tank. Today I look at it and it seems I am going to have 2 flowers?? I thought they were just stems where the leaves were eaten off but it looks more and more like a base for a flower to me. Also I now have a battle with the algae in the photo, the new lighting has woke that up as well, Im hoping the Otto I put in likes to eat that type.
[ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P2050230.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	41484  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode