Alyssa's 30 Gallon Dirt Farm Tank [**R.I.P**] - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)
Alyssa's 30 Gallon Dirt Farm Tank [**R.I.P**]

Edit: Sadly I broke this tank whilst moving. Had to dump the dirt and rocks and focus on saving what plants that I could salvage. I will likely get a replacement tank with the same footprint, but not sure it will be a dirt tank, though it did grow amazingly well, i think I might want to save that for the 45 when I get that one going. Rest in peace my little tank!

Sooo I suppose I should have posted this here a long time ago, but ah, I didn't.

We actually got this finished setting up in the few couple days of November.

Here it is with the soil and the cap put in:

And here it is right after we planted it and filled it up!

Here is a close of the tank starting from the left side ...

And then the middle ...

And then the right side!

It's gone through some upheavals and much meltings and a right now it has a few algae issues, but I have faith it will get where we want it to be eventually!

Last edited by Alyssa; 09-16-2012 at 10:43 PM. Reason: My poor tank died.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I was expecting to see 1000's of Malaysian Trumpet Snails....haha

Looks good though even though there aren't any snails...lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No, just some pond snails ... which will need to die soon!

Here is a picture that I took yesterday ...

And the weird emerald algae that someone told me was actually a bacterial something or other that dosing with Maracyn didn't seem to do a thing to even make it stay in check...

As you can see, it needs some help. But it does now have diy co2, which seems to have put the other algae in check! I know part of the issue is it has the light on for too long, but other than that, I'm not sure about that weird algae!

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
I was expecting to see 1000's of Malaysian Trumpet Snails....haha

Looks good though even though there aren't any snails...lol
yeah, i was confused... why would anyone bother planting an trumpet snail "farm" tank haha
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Definitely cyno. Are you dosing anything for the plants? How's your water circulation? Water parameters?

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
I was expecting something like my old tank also :P

20g high with over 2000 MTS.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
I was expecting something like my old tank also :P

20g high with over 2000 MTS.
Which MTS are we talking about?

**** Green ****

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

MTS = Mineralized Top Soil.

Quote:
Definitely cyno. Are you dosing anything for the plants? How's your water circulation? Water parameters?
Cyno? What is cyno? The water seems to have more than enough circulation, I was actually thinking of putting a spray bar to reduce the flow because it looked like it was too strong to be honest. The filter is a fluval 405 which I figured was strong enough for a 30 gallon tank.

I'll test the water today and post the results. There is no fauna in the tank, so I haven't bothered testing it really as I just assumed the tests were more for making sure it was suitable for critters than anything else!

I have been dosing excel (Tom's mix) and Flora Pride. I have tried blackouts and maracyn at double the strength for 8 days. But I am overdue for cleaning the canister and so I'll do that and test the water and then do a water change and test the water again and see what the results are I guess.

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Cyanobacteria AKA blue-green algae.

MTS also stands for Malaysian Trumpet Snail.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ah yes I'd forgotten that. Or just assumed folks would figure it out when they realized it was a dirt tank, lol.

And thanks, looking cyno up now ... cuz it's annoying stuff!

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 07:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Ah yes I'd forgotten that. Or just assumed folks would figure it out when they realized it was a dirt tank, lol.

And thanks, looking cyno up now ... cuz it's annoying stuff!
She's right Caton, you're wrong.

**** Green ****

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Who is Caton? And what am I allegedly correct about? I am soooooooooooo lost! LOL

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
Who is Caton? And what am I allegedly correct about? I am soooooooooooo lost! LOL
Caton = Da Plant Man

green valley was saying you were right about MTS being about a dirt tank where Caton was suggesting that MTS meant the snails. Some people see MTS and think snails (me) and some think dirt. All depends on the context.

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Caton = Da Plant Man

green valley was saying you were right about MTS being about a dirt tank where Caton was suggesting that MTS meant the snails. Some people see MTS and think snails (me) and some think dirt. All depends on the context.
Glad Nubster is paying attention.

**** Green ****

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

LOL! Thanks for cluing me in! I'm caught up now I think, lol.

ₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑᴼοₒᴑ
ٴٴٴ˚~Alyssa

|
|

| TPT Clubs:
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode