RCS 20G Long! Starting slow this time. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
RCS 20G Long! Starting slow this time.

So my tank's been empty besides 2 otos for about 3 months now so I decided to try it all up again. Definitely not as green as it used to be, especially with the lack of water changes I did and the buildup of algae. But it is getting better!

Substrate:
Turface Pro Leauge

I actually know very little about the plants I have. I got them from a local awhile ago when I wasn't really focused on planted tanks:P I do know that I have:
Riccia
Java Moss
Mini X-Mas Moss
Hydrocotyle sp. Japan
Crypt Wendtii

Decorations:
Driftwood

Lighting:
DIY CFL light hood
Two 20w 6500k Daylight CFL's 7-7 1/2 hours a day

Heater:
Marineland 200w

Filtration:
Sunsun HW-302

Fauna:
RCS

Water Params:
pH: 6.6
Temp: 76F

Last edited by mjbn; 06-12-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: ++
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-11-2012, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Some pictures of "before"/"afters"
When it was a fish tank; did have some live plants:

Last week:

Now:

Trying to get the plants to fill in and waiting on a few driftwood pieces!
post #3 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:11 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Waiting to see the Rilis and... Tangerine Tigers!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Waiting to see the Rilis and... Tangerine Tigers!
Remember dinosaurodon when you breed the TTs lol
post #5 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (79/100%)
Or you could have me send the TTs to Jimko in return for Jinko's red rillis
post #6 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Got my shrimp today. Wasn't what I ordered... Didn't get red rilis:/ I'll post up pics soon of what the seller sent me.

|
|
|
post #7 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's the tank with the new driftwood pieces (thanks Robert H!). I will probably be re-arranging things again soon.

And now the shrimp!
Amanos:

Oooo blurry "not what I ordered" shrimp

Do I see a saddle?:O

Some more of the "not what I ordered" shrimp

Yes, to my surprise, the seller was MORE than generous. I thank this seller (you know who you are) so much for the great shrimp!

|
|
|
post #8 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Looks like you got blue pearls? Is that right?

Also, what are the water parameters? You'll want them to be inline with CRS parameters for the TT's. Namely ph under 7, kh 1 or less, gh 4-6.

The tank looks good!

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #9 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Seller told me they're blue rili!

I'll update params on OP.

|
|
|
post #10 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:03 AM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
It's very possible that they are blue rilis and they have not completely colored up with the patterns yet... Also, from what I understand, only the really (no pun intended) high grade blue rilis exhibit really (again, lol) visible patterning.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

post #11 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
It's very possible that they are blue rilis and they have not completely colored up with the patterns yet... Also, from what I understand, only the really (no pun intended) high grade blue rilis exhibit really (again, lol) visible patterning.
I hope so! I just saw a guy that bought blues from the same source and they had some red spots on them, but they had bred a couple times so I guess it came back through the offspring.?

|
|
|
post #12 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
It doesn't necessarily come back with breeding since you never lost it in the first place, they're just stressed from shipping which is why they lost their color. It's just selective breeding to promote the redness.

post #13 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Glad you ended up with more expensive shrimp! John had this same problem but his F1 generation is starting to look like actual rili's instead of blue pearls.

Get some MTS to mix up that sand or you'll end up with dead spots! Also, are you planning on tying anything to the DW? Looks awfully bare like that in the back right corner !

End up using tap water or did you get an RO unit? What's your TDS and what not.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #14 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

My blues are molting already. Good sign?

|
|
|
post #15 of 157 (permalink) Old 01-13-2012, 05:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Depends. If your gh is too low then no. They won't have enough hardness to create their shells. TEST IT BRO!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode