Liz's 29 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Liz's 29 gallon

My father has had a 29 gallon tank for a really long time. He hasn't had it set up in years. So, he gave it to me when I went back to visit for Christmas/New Year's.

I originally wanted it to be ON TOP of the stand, but I was having some major wobble issues, so I put it on the bottom instead. This caused some problems with placement of the lights, one of which came with the tank but never really fit the tank. The other light came from my 5 gallon shrimp tank I'm taking down.

Close up of the tank (Sorry 'bout the glare):

Little bit farther out, so you can see the stand as well. I don't have a top for the tank yet but plan to get one soon so I can set the lights on top of it, rather than balanced on the corner of the stand.

This tank has been set up since Friday (1/6/2012). I put a sponge filter in this tank from my 5 gallon shrimp tank. Doing this seems to have cycled the tank almost immediately. Since setting the tank up, my tests have shown 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, ~20 nitrates.

After setting it up, I added the rcs from my 5 gallon tank (as many as I could catch anyway). The morning after setting the tank up, I tested the water and then added 2 leopard danios that came from the 10 gallon tank I'm upgrading to this one. The danios seemed very jumpy, so I added 3 WCMMs (also from the 10 gallon) to the tank today. That seems to have helped the jumpiness that the danios displayed. Also in the tank are 2 pomacea diffusa snails.

Plants:
Java fern 'trident'
Java fern 'narrow leaf'
Dwarf water lily
anacharis
aponogeton sp.
brazilian pennywort
anubias nana 'petite'
Marimo moss ball

Eventually, I'd like the stock list for this tank to be:
10 White Cloud Mountain Minnows (all from my current 10 gallon tank)
6 danios (mix of leopard and zebra, also from my current 10 gallon tank)
10 corydoras habrosus or pygmaeus
6 corydoras paleatus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

For those who have been reading my thread on the possible columnaris: My fish still have the white on their lips, though the white has faded and isn't nearly as pronounced as it once was. I started another dosing regimen of pimafix today, in hopes that it would take care of the problem for good (last time, I ran out of pimafix 3 days before the dosing should've stopped).
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

After much waiting, my fish are finally in their final tanks, save for an oto or two in the 55 gallon that are being hard to catch. Half of the otos belong in the 29g, the other in the 55g, and I'm having problems catching the last couple of the otos in the 55g (where they quarantined) to the 29 g... I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

The 29 g is full of movement now!

Its final stocking list:
8 White Cloud Mountain Minnows
2 red wag platies (more as they multiply)
4 danios (3 leopard and one zebra)
7 corydroas habrosus
5-6 otocinclus affinis

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Whoa, too much aeration i think. i mean, your fish is gonna be happy, but not sure about your plants. probably there will be a slow grow like a super low tech tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Solution to ALL ALGAE Problem: Flying Fox!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

K. Thanks. I had put lots of extra aeration in at first because I thought I had cottonmouth. I don't know if that's what I had or not, but it killed ALL of the invertebrates in the tank (shrimp and snails) and my fish looked sickly and unhappy for quite some time.

I've already removed the bubble stone, and I plan on removing at least one of the sponge filters soon (there's two in there now - both homemade).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode