Ten gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ten gallon tank

Ok here is a ten gallon tank that I've gotten setup in the computer room.
It's running 2 13w screw in PC lamps, a Penguin biowheel filter, no CO2 yet, but I'm hoping to experiment with that soon.

The substrate is peat moss, sand, and gravel mixed. I'm going to add some latarite to the substrate pretty soon.

Have neons, guppies, danios, and a pair of Mickey Mouse Platys as residents.

Oh the bubbles in back are a bubble curtain air stone.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looks good, are you going to fill it up all the way?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymdt
Ok here is a ten gallon tank that I've gotten setup in the computer room.
It's running 2 13w screw in PC lamps, a Penguin biowheel filter, no CO2 yet, but I'm hoping to experiment with that soon.

The substrate is peat moss, sand, and gravel mixed. I'm going to add some latarite to the substrate pretty soon.

Have neons, guppies, danios, and a pair of Mickey Mouse Platys as residents.

Oh the bubbles in back are a bubble curtain air stone.

plant on the far left is terrestrial, it will die in the tank very soon. DONT ADD AN AIRSTONE! plants need CO2 to grow, adding O2 will drive away any CO2 thats in the water. You should make a simple DIY Co2 setup, asap.
Looks nice and clean otherwise. I would take out the peat moss, and add laterite asap too.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

I think Java moss would look good on the stones. Nice to see more people keeping platies and danios.

Once you add CO2, you may find that bio-wheels may cause excessive loss; you might want to remove it at that time.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanks
plant on the far left is terrestrial, it will die in the tank very soon.
Ok, so take the sword out? Can I transfer that to my 55 tank in the family room?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart
DONT ADD AN AIRSTONE! plants need CO2 to grow, adding O2 will drive away any CO2 thats in the water. You should make a simple DIY Co2 setup, asap.
Ok, so don't add an airstone? Or take the bubble curtain out that is in there now?
I'm planning on adding CO2 once I empty the 2 liter bottle I have now. I have the tubing and the ingredients for it, but I'm not exactly sure what to make "in the tank" to disperse the CO2. I read somewhere that someone puts it in their filter intake? I'm a little confused about where exactly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jart
Looks nice and clean otherwise. I would take out the peat moss, and add laterite asap too.
Taking the peat out would mean taking the sand and gravel out as well. If I do that, I might as well empty the entire tank and start over, yes?

I need a good company to purchase bulk latarite. Petsmart sells it in 10lb. boxes, and that's not enough to cover the bottom. Any suggestions?

And yes, I filled it up!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
Yeah man,
You are going to want to get rid of the bubble thingy entirely. The idea is to reduce your surface agitation as much as possible. Surface agitation allows CO2 to escape. We want to keep CO2 in the tank as long as possible. This is the reason that removing your bio wheel was suggested as well.
jB
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 01:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
plant on the far left is terrestrial, it will die in the tank very soon.
Here is a listing of plants that may do well for a very short time but will eventually die in a planted tank: http://www.plantgeek.net/plantguide_...=2&filter_by=1
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wouldn’t rush to yank that bio wheel until the tank is FULLY cycled and stable (at least a month or two). Then, when and if you do pull the wheel, watch your nitrite and nitrate levels closely for several days and be ready to do a water change. If you’re going to use a 2 liter bottle to inject CO2 into a tank this small I STRONGLY encourage you to rig up a simple bubble counter and regulate the flow while carefully monitoring your pH (you can inject into the uptake tube of your filter and the bubbles will get chopped by the impeller and stick to your filter media, where they’ll dissolve.) Depending on your tap water hardness (and net softening effect of the peat) you may need to harden your water to mitigate wee hour pH crashes, but since you’re in Arkansas I doubt that will be an issue. (Any Arkansans out there care to chime in on local water hardness?) With as many fish as you’re stocking, you might want to reconsider injecting CO2 altogether and just let the fish provide CO2 for the plants. Granted, this won’t yield super fast plant growth, but you’ll have less to worry about in the long run. You appear to have plenty of light, so that shouldn’t be a limiting factor for your plants. Good luck and post another picture in a few months.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Ok, so take the sword out? Can I transfer that to my 55 tank in the family room?

Ok, so don't add an airstone? Or take the bubble curtain out that is in there now?
I'm planning on adding CO2 once I empty the 2 liter bottle I have now. I have the tubing and the ingredients for it, but I'm not exactly sure what to make "in the tank" to disperse the CO2. I read somewhere that someone puts it in their filter intake? I'm a little confused about where exactly?

Taking the peat out would mean taking the sand and gravel out as well. If I do that, I might as well empty the entire tank and start over, yes?

I need a good company to purchase bulk latarite. Petsmart sells it in 10lb. boxes, and that's not enough to cover the bottom. Any suggestions?

And yes, I filled it up!!!
you dont need 10 lbs of laterite! Buy aquariumpharm's 55 oz. stuff, that will be more than enough. mix it in with the gravel. Running the CO2 line into the filter only works with canister filters. You can either get the Hagen CO2 ladder, or build a small reactor yourself. The plant is terrestrial, which means it grows on land. It wont grow in your 55 gallon either.
Good luck with the tank.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Running the CO2 line into the filter only works with canister filters.
Lots of people with small run their Co2 into their HOB intake, including me. This method keeps my CO2 at ~30ppm. Granted i need higher bubble rates to achieve this, but it saves on having another piece of equipment in the tank

Grunge
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

Here is another HOB CO2 thread. Apparently Wasserpest has used this method before.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5045
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 02:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The plant is terrestrial, which means it grows on land. It wont grow in your 55 gallon either.
Good luck with the tank.
Why would a fish store sell a plant that grows on land??
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
Quote:
Why would a fish store sell a plant that grows on land??
Because they can.

Regards,
Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

48G Rimless Mr Aqua
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok, the bubble curtain has been turned off and taken out. Last night I drilled a hole in my 2 liter bottle cap, and siliconed the hole after I put the airline tubing through.

A little help. For those who mix their own CO2 recipe, with a ten gallon tank should I cut down the amount I put in the 2 liter bottle?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2005, 05:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Honestly, for a smaller tank that isn't very heavily planted, you could almost go with a 1-liter or a 20 oz bottle instead. Using a 2-liter bottle, I would probably add less yeast initially to keep the CO2 flow slower and more even. I use a half teaspoon in my 2-liter bottles and they bubble like crazy for about a month and then stop abruptly. I assume it is either the sugar is used up or the alcohol levels kill the culture at that point.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode