20g/l, riparium plants growing fast - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
20g/l, riparium plants growing fast

things happen and less than favorable tanks end up being neglected. that's the life of my 20g office tank.

After much consideration i've decided my 55g in the basement is to be "broken down" plants and fish that i want to keep moved to the 20. the rest given new homes. this basically translates to a few plants being moved for the time and placed being. the fish situation will end up being my white clouds, both normal and yellow colorations, being moved to the tank after my aquariumplants assorted plant package arrives, is planted, and given some time to grow out/establish more biological filtration.

ultimately I'd love to have a very grown out jungle tank with a healthy, breeding, white cloud population as well as a healthy breeding shrimp population. You'll also notice a gradient in the center in front of the stumps long arm, i'm hoping for a nice carpet here and my only trimming should be to keep this area lit well.

the plants currently in the tank are not in place, but are clippings i intend to save for this tank... minus some star grass, and will be moved around to better locations once the plant package arrives.

waiting to go on is some black vinyl for the rear of the tank

tank specs:
20gallon long
2 x 24" 2 t5h0 lighting
flourite red substrate
pressurized co2
sun sun w/ uv sterilizer

so here's just a few shots, including the view from my desk.

my plants should ship out on the 10th, so expect some updated shots after they come in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5597.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	39866  

Name:	IMG_5594.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	39867  

Name:	IMG_5592.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	39868  

Name:	IMG_5607.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	39869  

Last edited by scapegoat; 05-15-2013 at 03:01 PM. Reason: why not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the stump and the gravel.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-15-2012, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

received my package from aquarium plants dot com.

can't say i'm all that pleased... the product they deliver is fantastic, all of the plants are in amazing shape. i certainly got what i paid for, but not what i wanted. to emphasize, i didnt buy what i wanted... i bought what would be easy.

i'm upset with myself for taking the easy way out and buying a package with plants unknown. i had visions for this tank... this isn't it. but i'll let these plants grow out, i'll move the fish over to the tank, get he kirbs set up and eventually replant the 55 with these plants and take more care deciding on what goes in this 20.

there are a number of plants from the 55 getting put in here as well that will fill out the mid and fore grounds.

ultimately, i am very disappointed with the layout... but it'll get fixed down the line
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5693.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	40256  

Name:	IMG_5692.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	226.7 KB
ID:	40257  

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I need a bunch of plant id's!

first up some f/t shots

I still need a carpeting plant of some sort... though i'm thinking of using flame moss instead since i have it

still not super pleased with the layout, but i'll let these plants grow out from here and see how it fills in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5709.jpg
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	40292  

Name:	IMG_5710.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	40293  

Name:	IMG_5699.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	40294  

Name:	IMG_5700.jpg
Size:	165.2 KB
ID:	40295  

Name:	IMG_5701.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	40296  

Name:	IMG_5702.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	40297  

Name:	IMG_5703.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	40298  

Name:	IMG_5705.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	40299  

Name:	IMG_5706.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	40300  

Name:	IMG_5708.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	40302  

Attached Images

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (110/99%)
Ludwigia repens

Cardamine lyrata

Nesaea pedicellata

Alternanthera reineckii

Ludwigia arcuata

Hydrocotyle leucocephala

Rotala rotundifolia

Shinnersia rivularis

Proserpinaca palustris

Most of them look emmersed so other pictures you'll find online won't look very similar to what you have. Nice haul of plants! Where on earth did you find that piece of driftwood? I love it!

Tank: 20 gallons, 62 watts t5, DIY CO2

Unemployed, poor, and still living off the parents.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
Most of them look emmersed
i was afraid of that... i guess i can look forward to a decent loss as they root and regrow. and after looking at the pictures i'm a lot happier, i'm looking forward to them acclimating now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Tetra View Post
Where on earth did you find that piece of driftwood? I love it!
LFS had this... i knew i had to have it when i saw it. The only problem is that it leans a little too far forward and it doesnt look right leaning back any. i'm hoping to get some moss on and around it.

thanks for the ID! now i can do some research on what i have and plan out the replanting once these things take off
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

so i've got a lot of micro bubbles from the co2 injection... think it's time to get a sponge in the reactor. anyway, i've got a ton of larger bubbles of co2 in the tank on leaves, but i am also getting some mild pearling, which is exciting as i've never seen it in person.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5725.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	40323  

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
tank looks good! any updates?

-Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
tank looks good! any updates?
not much to say. the tank was ignored and overgrown, moved into the basement and replanted, then ignored and overgrown again. I can't seem to keep an eye on this tank because its always somewhere I'm not.

it's back in the office though, replanted... and the basis for the 125g i'm building. so i'll be paying closer attention to it.

this time I'm learning from my experiences and choosing a lesser number of plants... no more 40 varieties stuffed into a 20g long hoping to be able to properly care for each one. this time there are 6 varieties in the tank.

two anubius, v. nana and v. veritus
a dwarf hairgrass, a red tiger lotus, Val. spiralis
and some left over java fern Windelov... which i'll be RAOK'ing or selling.

I replanted the african plants a couple nights ago, so eagerly waiting for everything to grow in. the vals in the back are a little melted from the trip, but they should bounce back. I never have issues growing plants in this tank (just the opposite, i cant keep with trimming). I need to raise the lights about 6" i think and break out the ferts. this tank loses about 1/2" of water a day thanks to the server being in the same room. the ambient temp in that room is around 80 degrees.

if you take a look to the left you'll see the java fern, below that a spot of pitch black where the kirbs have dug out a wonderful cave that is supported by stones i've put in there.

other than the kirbs are 7 leopard danio to act as dither fish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20130123_191311[1].jpg
Views:	69
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	72450  

post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 01:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks good so far. Don't forget, i have that bolbitis for you. I'll try to get it to you this weekend. Worst case, i'll pop it in the mail next week.

-Bill

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

no rush, i'm out of drift wood haha. the tank could definitely use some of it along the back center though. I'm afraid I should've purchase more vals

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't worry, soon enough, you'll have more vals than you know what to do with.......lol

-Bill

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I hope so. I'm excited to see the tank fill in.

anubius have beautiful leaves, but they sure have ugly roots.

I'd like to replace the java fern with that bolbitis... but its pretty well secured to that driftwood. I may take a run to hidden reef this weekend to take a gander at some smaller pieces of wood.

Once spring hits I'm planning on some walks through tyler park along the river to grab some driftwood.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The bolbitis i have is already established on a piece of lava rock. I can remove what i want and leave some on the rock if it makes it easier. I was planning on moving it to another tank anyway. And i love anubias roots. They give such a jungle vine look when they get the room for it.

Tyler is a great place for wood. I need to start trolling for wood. I'm looking for that "perfect stump" for my 125 rebuild.

-Bill

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks great!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode