Double Trouble - two 5.5 gallon shrimp tanks (56K Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Double Trouble - two 5.5 gallon shrimp tanks (56K Warning)

So over the past two months I have been working on two emersed tanks.I feel like they are coming along well so I thought I would share what I have so far. I also Need to give credit to Jake for inspiring this project with his two shrimp rescue tanks. You can check them out here.

Equipment:
2x 5.5gallon tanks with glass hoods
2x Marineland 10 watt heaters
2x Eheim 2211 filters

Lighting:
2x Finnex ML-1624 24watt, 5000k daylight, CFL
HC tank on 12 hours a day
Glosso tank on 5hr, off 2hr, on 5hr

CO2:
Will be doing Paintball CO2. Anyone know if I can just split one paintball tank into both aquariums?

Substrate:
Fluval plant stratum

Flora:
HC (Hemianthus callitrichoides) From cableguy69846
Glosso (Glossostigma elatinoides) From cableguy69846
Dwarf Hairgrass (Elocharis acicularis) From nilocg

Fauna:
TBD - I really want to try some CRS

Ferts:
Seachem Flourish
SeaChem Flourish Excel

Dwarf Hairgrass tank

Then I added the HC

The HC is filling in nicely and the hairgrass is looking good too.

Don't mind the old credit cards, I'm trying to set boundaries for everyone.

And here is the glosso tank

I just flooded the tank today.

And a few side-by-sides

“Intellectual growth should commence at birth and cease only at death.”
- Albert Einstein
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

Last edited by Bensr20det; 01-04-2012 at 03:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks great, you've really mastered the dry starts! Your plants look like they're thriving so I wouldn't see a problem with CRS doing well there.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
Looks great, you've really mastered the dry starts! Your plants look like they're thriving so I wouldn't see a problem with CRS doing well there.
I wouldn't say I have mastered any part of planted aquariums, but thank you so much for your kind comment. I did buy an RO/DI unit just to put CRS in the HC tank. I have a lot more learning to do before I even try.

- Albert Einstein
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-
-
-

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Those are beautiful! I especially like the one on the left.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyMac View Post
Those are beautiful! I especially like the one on the left.
Thank you very much. The one on the left is my personal favorite as well. I can't wait until time to fill it and add some shrimp.

- Albert Einstein

-
-
-

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
What a sick dry start @ the HC tank.

-VeeSe

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
What a sick dry start @ the HC tank.
I agree. I couldn't be happier with it. I think it was the great quality HC I got from cableguy. It took off within a week of placing it on the soil. Very little turned brown and all I did was mist it every few days, super easy.

- Albert Einstein

-
-
-

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2012, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
any updates?

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvDO View Post
any updates?
Well things have changed a lot since my last update. Here is what happened

The Glosso was over taken with BGA. I read that I could "black out" the tank to kill it. So I turned off the light and covered the tank with a towel for 3 days. When I uncovered it the Glosso had turned white, grown to the surface of the water, and no change in the algae. So I decided to pull out the Glosso and start over. I just took some plants from my 55 and put a little something in here. I also added about 30 of the reddest cherries I could catch out of my 55.

Then I flooded the HC/DHG tank. Then some BGA covered my DHG and I started to get a little discouraged. I kept pulling out what I could. Then some very thick slimy black algae started to grow on the HC. It was easy to remove it. It just pealed off in sheets. I had just added 10 crystal reds I got from another member and I couldn't see any of them ever because they hid in the DHG. So I decided to change the tank to match the other and I would be able to see the new shrimp. So I pulled out the HC and DHG, cleaned off any algae and gave it away in a RAOK today. I then tried to mirror the other tank some what.

I am still happy with the tanks and now I can see all my shrimp much better. Plus I was able to give some plants away on here and that feels good.

I will get a better camera and take a few pictures of the shrimp. Let me know what you all think.

- Albert Einstein

-
-
-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode