10g swamp, now 20g due to leak - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
10g swamp, now 20g due to leak

I had a spare 10g tank sitting around in the basement, just collecting dust. Figured I ought to do something about that.

I want to make kind of a swampy-looking 'scape out of it. Not quite sure what fish I'll put in it yet, but that's the general look I'm going for.

Here's how I found it:

Not real prepossessing, right?

It cleans up pretty nice, though.

Filled it up with a mix of aquarium sand and gravel. (Not the world's best substrate, I know, but it's worked well for me in the 20L when supplemented by root tabs and/or years of accumulated fish crap.) I like the slope in the back - may wind up adding some more to it.

I filled it up, looked at it, thought "what the heck" and grabbed the biggest piece of lucky bamboo we had. I guess it's not exactly authentic, but I kind of like how it looks. Might make a kind of forest of these.

I've got plants due to come in in a couple of days, and then it'll really look like something. I gave it the old filter media from my established 20L, so hopefully it'll cycle pretty quick and painlessly.

I also just re-scaped the 20L - it's the first tank in which I've successfully grown plants that aren't java fern, so I'm still pretty excited about it. Most of the plants in there are recent additions. All appear to be doing well - substantial growth on the crypts and the anacharis in the few days they've been in there. Dwarf sag was a bit slow starting up, as it took some damage in shipping, but saw some new shoots on it today. Pretty happy with this scape overall.

Hopefully, as this goes on, I will learn to take better photos, but no promises.

Last edited by Sharp; 06-08-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Plants arrived today! (Also wound up rescuing some more lucky bamboo from the local Walmart.) I really like how this looks so far. Hopefully, everything lives. I actually kind of like the tannins in there - adds to the swampy feel, but I guess they'll have to go if the plants start to look unhappy.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A couple of new additions to both tanks.

As my Christmas present to myself, I got a pair of orange A. cacatuoides for the 20-gal. They've become my favorite fish in the tank - they're only about an inch long right now, but they're completely and totally fearless. They seem interested in my hands when I do water changes, and beg shamelessly for food. Seem to be getting along well - there's been a little chasing, but nothing serious, and they spend most of their time hanging out together.

Here's the female:

And here's her boyfriend:

The tank has also grown in quite a bit - I dumped in some of the extra rotala I got for the 10g, and added some frogbit.

The 10g has also finished cycling. The rotala and the lotus are doing well, but the hygrophilia seems pretty unhappy. Leaves are turning sort of spotty, so I'm guessing a nutrient deficiency. I'm going to try dosing "for real" instead of just Excel and root tabs and see if that makes a difference. (Any other suggestions?)

In a stroke of luck, I spotted the last honey gourami in the tank at the LFS today - I've never seen them for sale here before, and this guy seemed healthy, and fit with the swampy theme. Definitely the most energetic gourami I've ever owned - wasn't able to get a sharp shot of him. (Pretty sure he thought he was about to get fed.)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 03:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You have an awesome setup on both tanks. Wish mine looked half as good as yours. Also what lighting do you have on your 20 L?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks! I'm actually a bit surprised at how well they're coming together.

The 20L is lit by two 17W T8s, one 5500K and one 7800K, held about 9 inches above the top of the tank. This setup seems to be working out for me so far, but if the 10g does better in the long run, I may go ahead and switch it over to CFLs.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2012, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Long time, no news. Finals at school and overtime at work have combined to keep me off the internet. But in the meantime, the 10 g has grown in.

I mean, like, grown in a lot.

Water level's a bit low here - this is the reason.

I have no idea how this happened. Yeah, that's terrestrial moss colonizing a HOB filter. I almost hate to remove it, but filters got to filtrate. Incredibly, nothing in the tank except the filter has algae of any sort.

Here are some inhabitants. Chili rasboras and RCS courtesy of Mizjinkzd. Tried yet again to get a good shot of the honey gourami, but she's pretty camera shy.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Crisis averted

10g tank sprung a leak. Fortunately, it was the slow, seeping kind of leak, rather than the sudden catastrophic failure kind of leak. I was just about to upgrade the 20L to a 40B, so I was planning to move things around anyway, just not quite this soon. For now, I moved the 20L inhabitants into a Rubbermaid container. Not ideal, but it'll do until next week when I can move them into the 40B.

Once that was done, I moved the tanks around and transferred all the 10g stuff into the 20. This took a while.

Finally got everyone moved - scape is temporary until I can get some more plants to fill it out and the water's still cloudy from everything being stirred up, but I think it'll look pretty good once everything's in place.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Sorry to hear of the leak, good job with the tanks. Very interested to see what you come up with the 40B and new plants for the 20L.

Congrats on the upgrade.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Canon Pimp Club #041
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks. It's funny, I've been keeping tanks for well over a decade now, and this is the first time I've had one leak. Got lucky on the timing with this one, I guess. Definitely looking forward to the upgrades!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A little late, but I got some more plants. Also experimenting with riparium planters and rafts, courtesy of hydrophyte. I'm pretty happy with this at the moment. Not sure how well some of those plants will take - I think the L. aromatica is likely to be sort of hit-or-miss in this tank, but it doesn't look like it's outright dying yet, so I'm hopeful. Some of the plants in the planters were rescues from Home Depot - no idea what they are, they were just labeled as "Asst. Foliage." Their tags indicated that they needed the soil kept moist, so maybe they'll do ok. If not, I've got plenty of pond and bog plants I can try, so no loss.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode