New Big Tank on the Way! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
New Big Tank on the Way!

The kids and wife gave me a coupon (in crayon by kids ha) good for a 180 gal or less for Christmas! I have 8 x 9L bags AS, a new RO ssytem to put together (hard water here in central Ohio), lots of Manzy from Tom, needle wheel for CO2. Still to go is final decision on lighting (ATI or Tek T5), HOB overflow, sump, large purchase of Stauro for foreground, and of course the tank itself. Here are my choices (dimensions in inches), no built in overflows except for the local DLS tank).

Standard Aqueon 180 gal 72x24x24 from local LFS
DLS no brace 185 gal 60x30x26 from local LFS

From Great Lakes Aquarium in Michigan (4 hour or so car ride to pick up, they can drill back of any tank for bean animal overflow use if I go that route)

Star fire rimless no brace 155 gal (60x30x20)
Star fire rimless no brace 150 gal (72x24x20)
Star fire rimless no brace 170 gal (72x30x18)

Star fire with rim & brace 175 gal (60x30x22)
Star fire with rim & brace 200 gal (60x30x26)

Star fire with rim & brace 165 gal (72x24x22)
Star fire with rim & brace 195 gal (72x24x26)
Star fire with rim & brace 205 gal (72x30x22)

I am replacing a 120gal (48x24x24). New tank would be in same spot. I would like the star fire rimless/braceless but the height is a lot less. I have discuss and am not sure of the 18 or 20 inch height compared to 24 I have now, nice picture view from the front glass important... 24 inch front to back an easier sell to wife than 30 inch, although 30 inch in a 5 foot length would be Ok, 6 foot by 30 inch would be pushing it haha. I can get a higher measurement with rim & brace and still get star fire. The 72x24x22 or 72x24x26 would fit best in a 6 foot length. Viewing would be from the front and right side primarily(as facing the tank). Back of tank against a wall. This will likely be my final tank (had the 120 for 10 years so wanna get it right. High tech planted with fish. Also want to maximize gallons as well if possible

Any thoughts appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:44 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
195 gal or the 200 gal, the 30 in front to back would lead to some awesome scaping possibilities and a great sense of depth. I would do the 200 I think
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Let's not forget the coupon specifications though haha. The 205 wouldn't be bad but damn 30" depth just seems like so much to me I'm a fan of 24. I'd get a 165 starfire rimless but eurobraced (love the rimless look and gets rid of the need of the brace in the middle still keeping it strong).. with that selection of tanks I bet they could just make you a custom one or order it

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I would be all over the rimless starphire tanks, especially the 30" deep one but I like a background that matches the wall so the tank is part of the room rather than a black hole when lights are off. The only way to go if you want an uncovered tank too which I would in a flash. I would want to have the 150 and have it drilled for a beananimal on the side with an external coast to coast overflow but I don't have discus. Me, vitually shopping?? No, not me.

If you prefer or need a black background for the fish to be happy then the rimmed tanks wouldn't be a visual nuisance. I prefer the 3 tiny 7x26" openings with 5" braces in my 96" acrylic tank to the large 24x18"openings with a 12" brace in the previous 60" glass tank, much easier to work in the tank strange to say. I do have short arms and use a stepstool to do any real work in the tank. If you could try the braced tanks on for size that might be a help. For a discus tank the 195 would be real nice.

If the tank is drilled on the side then the tank can be much closer to the wall. I really liked the 60" tank when I put a plant next to the plumbing on the side and there wasn't anything behind the tank. Again, that was with the wall as backdrop.

My 60" tank was black rimmed with black silicone. I liked it fine when I had a black background and it had bookcases around it but once the bookcases were gone it looked odd with a black background and once the background was gone the rim and silicone were distracting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

River Bank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MOP* Nano

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode