girlfriend's ADA Mini-L w/ custom LEDGROUPBUY Dim4 LEDs - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
girlfriend's ADA Mini-L w/ custom LEDGROUPBUY Dim4 LEDs

I set this tank up for my GF's apartment while she goes to Pharmacy school. Tried to make it simple with easy-ish plants and fish. I actually had this set up since October or so, but just am now getting to posting this journal.

Obligatory tank specs:
ADA mini-L
Custom LED light, 3x cool white LEDs, 3x neutral white LEDs, 3x royal blue LEDs, controlled and driven with a LEDGROUPBUY dim4 controller
ehiem 2232 w/ do!aqua intake and cal aqua labs nano outflow.
hydor inline
5lb co2 w/ azoo regulator and diffused with a do!aqua music glass
ADA amazonia NEW multi type
hardscape: Hakkai stone (super rare apparently) and manzinita
Plants: Cyperus helferi, trident javafern, mini pelia, Fissidens fontanus, starougyne sp 49, belem hairgrass, HC
Animals: Fire reds, CPDs, otos.

Ok, and on to the pics.
Custom stand made out of an old Ikea desk

Custom LED fixture. I used 9 left over Cree LEDs and used this controller http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/dim4-4-po...ntroller-v1-0/
It's pretty sweet, you can actually run up to 12 LEDs on it up to 500ma without the need for a separate driver, so for a small tank like this, it's perfect. It' can even do sunrise/sunset features. I'm using 3 channels for each of the LED colors and the last one for the fan. I tried out a new style of building the LED light, instead of doing strips, I clustered them like on the Aqua Illuminations LED light, this way, I can easily blend the colors and get the optimum color temp, while still getting the spectrum I need from the cool and neutral white LED. The only draw back is that you'd need a lot more LEDs. For this foot print tank, I probably could've gotten away with maybe 6 LEDs. Even at 9, and with the optics on, the spread is only ok.

PAR readings, this was at about 18 inches off the ground. Good thing I had the meter back then, I was able to dial it in exactly the intensity I needed.

And finally, here's the tank with everything set up and light mounted. My dad and I built the light cover, and painted it white to match the rest of her furniture.

Here's the tank as of yesterday. Everything is growing in nice and slowly, which is perfect for her since she doesn't want to have to do maintenance on it. I have her dose brighty K and bright k special lights (2 pumps a day) yes, i know these ferts are expensive and whatever, but i got a good deal on them and this is the easiest way for someone to dose a tank.

thanks for looking!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by IWANNAGOFAST; 12-27-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Shrimpsanity

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to shrimpnmoss
sick!

|ShrimpTech|
|
|
|
|
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 05:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Awesome build! The tank looks great! Really like the whole setup and will have to look into that controller.. Keep it up!

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks! It's covered in BBA right now unfortunately. The tank water evaporated since she's been home for the holidays and it dropped below the diffuser so no co2 was getting to the tank.

The water evaporated to about 1/2 way and the filter stopped getting siphon, so the inline heater stopped running. the water temp dropped to about 40, so all the fish died too.

I covered the tank up with plastic wrap for the last 2 weeks of her vacay so hopefully it'll slow down the evaporation and it won't happen again.

post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Nice DIY for everything!

Can't wait to see it stocked and fully grown in!

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks jkan! Word to the wise, don't use ikea furniture for diy stuff. When we cut open the table to make the stand, a lot of the flat pieces were made of cardboard!

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (20/100%)
Nice job!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
Thanks jkan! Word to the wise, don't use ikea furniture for diy stuff. When we cut open the table to make the stand, a lot of the flat pieces were made of cardboard!
Nice DIY build.

Yea that is why Ikea products are so cheap but that doesn't stop many of us from purchasing their products. I prefer American products but that is a whole other thread.

FACT: If you do not have a passion for what you do in life, be it your career and/or your hobby you will not be successful. RIP Dad (1/12/12). I love and miss you.
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here's the current state of the tank. For some reason, BBA attacked with a vengence. I think with small tanks like this the evaporation and topping off affects co2 levels pretty heavily which may explain the bba. I've upped the co2 rate and trimmed all the leaves that had bba on them. Spot dosed the wood with excel too, but its so thick that I don't know if it had any effect. We'll see.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
beautiful!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Dont think I'd have used the royal blues..
Probably just go with pure cool white.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWANNAGOFAST View Post
Spot dosed the wood with excel too, but its so thick that I don't know if it had any effect. We'll see.
You ever find spot dosing with Excel also affects the surrounding flora? I've had a bunch of plants die on me due to Excel dosing but I used the initial recommended dosing on the bottle which is 1 capful for every 10G. I was hoping to kill off the BBA and it did, but it killed a bunch of plants as well. Curious to see if spot dosing also has an adverse effect...

Hawkian

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Gorgeous tank and lighting rig. Makes me want to be more handy with electrical goodies.

Nice piggy trash can, too.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Awesome set up there! Love the scape. I'm going to have to get that dim4 for my led light! Not sure if they are available in Hong Kong though.. Need to look around.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkian View Post
You ever find spot dosing with Excel also affects the surrounding flora? I've had a bunch of plants die on me due to Excel dosing but I used the initial recommended dosing on the bottle which is 1 capful for every 10G. I was hoping to kill off the BBA and it did, but it killed a bunch of plants as well. Curious to see if spot dosing also has an adverse effect...
Spot dosing excel on moss will kill the moss for sure. But most other plants should be ok, but of course your results may vary.

I usually triple dose the recommended levels on a daily basis, so 3 capfuls into my 50 gal, and 15capfuls when i do water changes.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode