Fluval Ebi CBS and PFR tank journal. Month 2 update. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Fluval Ebi CBS and PFR tank journal. Month 2 update.

So a couple weeks ago, my mom asked me if there was anything in particular I wanted for Christmas. I'd been mulling over a little nano tank for the dining area in my apartment, and really love the dimensions on the ebi, so that's what I asked for. A few days later, a huge box shows up at my front door, and lo and behold, I'm the owner of a shiny new fluval ebi. First order of business was popping off the back panel. The glue dots were a bit disconcerting, but thankfully, all of the residue scraped off pretty easily. Been wanting to do a really branchy scape since seeing that 33 rimless on Kris Weinhold's blog, and figured the height and dimensions on the ebi would be the perfect opportunity. The wood is sandblasted manzanita, with black lava rock making up the base. Again, sorry for the link to an offsite gallery, but I'm way too lazy to resize photos, lol.

http://imgur.com/a/rJqC2#qtFqi

Heavily leaning towards the layout pictured in the last photo, but as of now, there's still some time to change things around, so any input will be greatly appreciated. I don't really mess around with pressurized co2 or fert dosing regimens, so definitely going with low tech friendly plants and mosses.

Planned flora:
trident java fern
Anubias nana 'petite'
Anubias nana 'narrow'
mini christmas moss
fissidens fontanus
riccardia
crypt parva

Planned fauna:
Crystal black shrimp
Painted fire red cherries

Gonna be upgrading to the archea 27w fixture, but I'm a bit worried that it may be too much light for the setup. Hopefully the telescoping legs will be useful in controlling the intensity somewhat. I absolutely hate the stock filter. It seems very flimsily made, and at least on mine, the slightest pressure will dislodge the media chamber from the top half. Additionally, the way the cord comes out really kind of forces you into some limited placing options within the tank. Otherwise though, the glass itself looks really slick, and I am definitely very pleased with this thing overall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by inka4041; 03-02-2012 at 06:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
I really like the way you have laid out the tank.

The EBI filter is some what problematic in design. You have to cover the intake or shrimplets will end up in the filter. I only used the filter that came with the EBI for a few months. I added the carbon inserts for it and it started rattling so it was removed.

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks, Cynth! What did you end up replacing the filter with? I've stuffed the first chamber with filter floss like I've seen recommended on here, so hopefully that will deal with the baby shrimp issue, but the ease with which the media chamber detaches really makes me nervous. It also sucks that I can't get the cord to go where it needs to when placed in the position that I want it. Right now it's attached to the right side pane, and still, the cord needs to be jammed into place, and doesn't stay there without the weight of the glass top securing it.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I replaced it with a small HOB filter and a zoomed canister. I also run an airstone all the time. I am not using the glass lids for the EBI's anymore.

I am not thrilled with the zoomed canisters but since I have two EBI's I couldn't afford two better quality filters. Eventually I hope to replace the zoomeds with Eheims.

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ah, I see. Unfortunately, due to the placement of this tank, I'm basically limited to internal filters. Have had good experiences with the penn plax cascade brand, and may eventually swap the fluval out for one of those.

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Not getting a lot of feedback here... Anyone? Anyone?

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Overall I like the last scape you had and as for the filter you can contact the warranty dept and ask for a replacement filter. How much room do you have around the tank? An external canister will look better overall if you can hide it. If anything run an air driven sponge filter hidden by your driftwood. There are also other internal filters out there but none are super high quality.
As for the light you'll be sitting a little above 3 wpg so you'll grow anything you want including algae. I would definitely have some floating plants to help cut down on some of intensity of the lighting to the tank and they will help curb any algae growth. Can't wait to see more pics!
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am unable to view the picture
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Hmm my only question is what substrate are you going to use? I don't think lava rock is going to be good for any crystal shrimp.. Unless your water is already perfect for them from the get go and will never change.. Otherwise I would recommend a substrate that will buffer the ph down..

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Overall I like the last scape you had and as for the filter you can contact the warranty dept and ask for a replacement filter. How much room do you have around the tank? An external canister will look better overall if you can hide it. If anything run an air driven sponge filter hidden by your driftwood. There are also other internal filters out there but none are super high quality.
As for the light you'll be sitting a little above 3 wpg so you'll grow anything you want including algae. I would definitely have some floating plants to help cut down on some of intensity of the lighting to the tank and they will help curb any algae growth. Can't wait to see more pics!
Thanks for the tip. I'll call them today and see if they can do anything for me. Honestly, I really like the bigger fluval internals, something which only added to my disappointment over this POS. The tank is actually sitting on a little breakfast table, where the stools tuck underneath, so there's really nowhere I can put a canister where it won't be really really visible. I have a lot of frogbit, but will probably end up using something a bit more well behaved like salvinia. Not a huge fan of super long roots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
I am unable to view the picture
Sorry. Imgur was down for a while. Maybe they work now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
Hmm my only question is what substrate are you going to use? I don't think lava rock is going to be good for any crystal shrimp.. Unless your water is already perfect for them from the get go and will never change.. Otherwise I would recommend a substrate that will buffer the ph down..
The substrate is fluval shrimp stratum with a bit of mosura old sea mud powder sprinkled underneath. I heard that lava rock can affect hardness, so I did a soak test with it, and didn't see any increase in kh or gh. In any case, if anything, my water is too soft for them. Both kh and gh read at < 3 degrees, ph is generally 7.0. In the past, when I've tried, I get a lot of berries out of the parents, but 0 survivability of shrimplets. Does all lava rock buffer water? I'm nervous about my soak test now. Might have to redo it with a longer soak. Thanks for your input! I need all the help I can get when it comes to shrimp, lol.

post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 07:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel
Nice ok, the FSS should well for ya then. I've had very good luck with ph<7 kh=0-1 gh~5, the stratum should hopefully buffer the water to that no problem.. And lava rock *should* be inert.. I'd definitely test it for 2-3 days to double check that, but yeah

SunSun Pimp # 42

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better about giving shrimp another shot. I had the lava rock soaking for about a week before testing, so I think it'll be ok. The lights get in on Friday, and I want to wait till all the plants have arrived, but I'm really itching to set this thing up right now, lol.

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Spent a good part of the afternoon putting things together. The last of the plants and the fixture got in yesterday, so I finally had everything on hand. Feels good going into the new year with a new setup. Now to just let it settle in and cycle, and hopefully i'll be ready for shrimp by the end of the month.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice! What kinds of mosses do you have netted to your rocks?

Fluval EBI Pimp #2
Planaria Rancher #9
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-01-2012, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you! The two moss rocks on the far right are regular christmas moss, the 2 in the center are mini christmas, and the one all the way to the left is riccardia, which I hope will start taking over the tall rock directly behind it eventually.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode