15 Gallon Journal - critique/help appreciated - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
15 Gallon Journal - critique/help appreciated

Hello all! I am new to the site and recently I bought an aquarium about a month or two ago. I am going to start planting it soon and would love suggestions for plants as well as fish/invertebrates/etc. (: I would really love some bottom feeder suggestions or fish that will swim bottom to mid level.

Aquarium/Plant Equipment
Single 18" F15T8 Fluorescent Marineland Natural Daylight 5200 Kelvin (22W)
50W Tetra Heater (tank heated to 78F)
Tetra Whisper PF10
Flourish Comprehensive Fertilizer (dose 1/4 teaspoon day after weekly water change)
Black Petco Sand

Inhabitants
1 Male Betta Splendens
3 Ghost Shrimp
1 Bunched Anarchis
1 Amazon Sword
4 Water Sprite
4 Giant Hygro
2 Anubias Nana

Questions!
1. I am thinking of buying some Malaysian Trumpet Snails to aerate the substrate (although I've heard it's only necessary if you have really deep sand). I'm scared they will have a population explosion, so how can I keep some MTS and Pond Snails in my tank without killing off the entire population while keeping them to pleasant levels? (:

12/22/2011

01/2/2011

Last edited by tahbi; 01-02-2012 at 05:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
You will have to occasionally remove some snails from the tank, otherwise the population can explode. Easy way to to make a trap out of a plastic bottle, you can find videos of that on youtube.

Did you get your setup as a kit from petco?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznartist34 View Post
You will have to occasionally remove some snails from the tank, otherwise the population can explode. Easy way to to make a trap out of a plastic bottle, you can find videos of that on youtube.

Did you get your setup as a kit from petco?

Okay thanks, and yes I did. (:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I hate Malaysian Trumpet Snails - I don't care if they aerate the gravel... as far as I'm concerned, the gravel is fine the way it is. They will absolutely explode in the tank and the gravel will become a floor of snails. But that's just my 2 cents, maybe others have had better experiences with them (mine were introduced on accident through a fish or plant so I never wanted them in the first place).

As far as your setup, I like it but the heater is in too prominent of a place... I say put it vertical on the left side of the tank to hide it away and you don't need that thermometer on at all times so that can go too.

I also don't know much ab out black petco sand but I assume it has no nutrients like eco-complete, flourite, or ada aqua soil. From my experiences the substrate is really important and though initial costs might be high (not really for a 10g), it's well worth it in the long run. Aqua soil in particular helps buffer the water to make it suitable for fauna and has nutrients in it for the plants, so win-win. Depending your tap water, the PH in your tank might be pretty high because of the slabs of rocks in there and no other PH buffering things (like peet which is in aqua soil).

But hey that's just me, people can make great tanks with that substrate it's just I don't see benefits of it (aside from the looks) whereas there are substrates now that I mentioned that really do help the plants grow.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice, do your betta and ghost shrimp get along?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
I hate Malaysian Trumpet Snails - I don't care if they aerate the gravel... as far as I'm concerned, the gravel is fine the way it is. They will absolutely explode in the tank and the gravel will become a floor of snails. But that's just my 2 cents, maybe others have had better experiences with them (mine were introduced on accident through a fish or plant so I never wanted them in the first place).

As far as your setup, I like it but the heater is in too prominent of a place... I say put it vertical on the left side of the tank to hide it away and you don't need that thermometer on at all times so that can go too.

I also don't know much ab out black petco sand but I assume it has no nutrients like eco-complete, flourite, or ada aqua soil. From my experiences the substrate is really important and though initial costs might be high (not really for a 10g), it's well worth it in the long run. Aqua soil in particular helps buffer the water to make it suitable for fauna and has nutrients in it for the plants, so win-win. Depending your tap water, the PH in your tank might be pretty high because of the slabs of rocks in there and no other PH buffering things (like peet which is in aqua soil).

But hey that's just me, people can make great tanks with that substrate it's just I don't see benefits of it (aside from the looks) whereas there are substrates now that I mentioned that really do help the plants grow.

Thanks for all the info. I moved the heater and took out the thermometer and it looks a lot better now. I'd rather not tear down my tank to put new substrate in. :P I might just buy root tabs for the plants instead if I really need them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecoyX View Post
Nice, do your betta and ghost shrimp get along?
Yes my betta is very docile. (: The shrimp are actually brave enough to take food from him lol.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As of a week ago tank now looks like this:

Still deciding on fish. Might go with 4-5 panda cories and a school of rasboras, danios, barbs, tetras, etc.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode