75G coming from a newbie. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
75G coming from a newbie.

Advices needed.

Just wanted to say hello and a little of introduction, I'm a saltwater for many years and planning on setting up a FW planted tank. Knowing very little about planted tanks and seeking for advices. Below is the detail of my plan/progress:

What I have:
1. Tank : 75G standard glass (4' long) and stand from petstore.
2. Fuval canister
3. Lots of driftwood collection
4. Lots of rocks collection
5. 10lbs Co2 tank with regulator
6. Useless light that was included with tank purchase
7. heaters

Things I need:
1. light
2. substrate
3. plants (what plants?)
4. fish (what fish?)
5. other stuff for setting up??

Too many hobbies to keep up, low cost is still a target to achieve

The tank I have in mind:
Green, mountain look (rockscape) one side and river look (driftwood) other side? group of tetra is the only fish I have in mind but will explore for more, don't have much knowledge about plants, I'm impressed about some java moss hanging on the driftwood but that is pretty much I know about plants.

Anything I have to watch out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedequa View Post
Advices needed.

Just wanted to say hello and a little of introduction, I'm a saltwater for many years and planning on setting up a FW planted tank. Knowing very little about planted tanks and seeking for advices. Below is the detail of my plan/progress:

What I have:
1. Tank : 75G standard glass (4' long) and stand from petstore.
2. Fuval canister
3. Lots of driftwood collection
4. Lots of rocks collection
5. 10lbs Co2 tank with regulator
6. Useless light that was included with tank purchase
7. heaters

Things I need:
1. light
2. substrate
3. plants (what plants?)
4. fish (what fish?)
5. other stuff for setting up??

Too many hobbies to keep up, low cost is still a target to achieve

The tank I have in mind:
Green, mountain look (rockscape) one side and river look (driftwood) other side? group of tetra is the only fish I have in mind but will explore for more, don't have much knowledge about plants, I'm impressed about some java moss hanging on the driftwood but that is pretty much I know about plants.

Anything I have to watch out?
Awesome to hear you want to set up a planted tank! It sounds like you want to do a Iwagumi style on the one side. Having one type of fish in the tank will definitely confirm that. But the addition of the driftwood is questionable as iwagumi is strictly rocks only, but then again you're only doing this to one side. Besides, it's what you think that looks the best to you so...no worries. I found a site that might educate you more on this style because as simple as it may look, it's pretty complex.

http://www.leonardosreef.com/guide-to-iwagumi/

Aside from all that, the iwagumi style really demands alot of your devotion on maintenance. Because the style is all about simplicity (1 plant type, usually a carpet type) it's hard to maintain with such high light levels. Carpet plants are slow growers therefore nutrients are absorbed slower. But that's only one side as you want to have a river look on the other that can support some stems to absorb the excess.

http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2007/02/...aquariums.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the info. Didn't know there are styles with each of tankescaping, I just browsed the web, looked at different tanks and dreaming about the look of my tank :-) with my limited experience I think I'll stick with something easy maintain and learning along... So river look seems easy for me to adapt to.
Can I grow carpet plants with sand or pebbles on top of soil?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 10:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Never had the experience with sand but I have grown carpet plants on gravel medium just as long as you have root tabs to encourage root growth. But I don't see why you can't do the same for sand.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode