Rafal's 10gal Dirt tank 56K Warning (Retired 1/23/2012 replaced by 20L) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Rafal's 10gal Dirt tank 56K Warning (Retired 1/23/2012 replaced by 20L)

Hi,

Decided to start a dirt substrate tank and since my 10gal got taken over by some evil green stuff that excel and other things could not kill (i suspect a bacteria that looks like algae) I broke it down and started fresh. Cleaned everything with bleach solution (taking all precautions to rinse and neutralize bleach as well as soak in water with a current for a few hours) then dumped all previous plants and substrate in the garbage. No worries about inhabitants because I accidentally gassed all of them a few days ago (diy champagne yeast is powerful stuff!) :-(

So clean slate.

Filtration is done via a zoo med 501 and a small penguin (bio wheel kind ment for 10-20 tanks).
100 watt Fluval heater
2 18w compacts for light 4" off glass top (not sure weather to keep same)
diy co2 and Flourish to help boost fast growth in initial plants
2" of MG Organic Choice Soil
1" Beatuiful Black sand cap

Here are some pics of setup

1. Dirt used:

2.Tank Filled with dirt

3. The sand (fanciest substrate I have ever used, splurged since it is only a 10 gal and I still have a bit left over... hmmm. shrimp bowl with black sand????)

4. Filling the tank

5. Great sand! no kick-up no rinsing required and water is fairly clear

6. Day 1 with some minimal plants to get started (mostly trimmings and such from my 75gal

More to come... And as the title says the more input the more I learn!

Last edited by rroginela; 01-28-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Hm.. did you rinse out the dirt so that the larger chunks of wood and seeds are no longer there? Might be an issue if you didn't, but I'm not too familiar with dirt tanks.

Btw, what is that plant you have on the right side of your tank? I have some in my tank that came with shrimp and never figured out what it was.

Also, you might want to consider some MTS as those are essential with sand substrate so you avoid any dead spots.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Hm.. did you rinse out the dirt so that the larger chunks of wood and seeds are no longer there? Might be an issue if you didn't, but I'm not too familiar with dirt tanks.

Btw, what is that plant you have on the right side of your tank? I have some in my tank that came with shrimp and never figured out what it was.

Also, you might want to consider some MTS as those are essential with sand substrate so you avoid any dead spots.
Did'n rinse but I picked out the large chunks by hand (took a while).

Hornwart is that stuff I got it as a nutrient sponge and it is fast growing from what I remember.

I have MTS in my other tank and will consider them but I have some stocking questions for the fish guys before I do. Great suggestion!

Thank YOU for your help and comments.

Rafal

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
What is the plant just to the left of the white rock with the red leaves? Nice tank! Just started my own first dirt tank! Where in the Chicago area are you?

"Hopefully everything doesn't turn out horribly ironic"
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfish View Post
What is the plant just to the left of the white rock with the red leaves? Nice tank! Just started my own first dirt tank! Where in the Chicago area are you?
Hi,

I'm in Darien (where i355 x i55) that is a Red Ludwigia Repens and if you ever need or want some I throw away about a good handful every-other weekend it seems.

It is quite nice to look at although it seems to me kinda tough to get to look how I want but that isn't something wrong with it but maybe because I'm a newb at pruning . I also have plenty of Jungle Val that i'm also throwing away on a regular basis if you need some.

Thank You
Rafal
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool! My mom lives in Downers Grove and I'm down there all the time. I'll send you a PM next time we're in the area!

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi,

Just a quick update... no pics yet but no real change yet.

Tank is looking good (kinda) The bacterial or whatever bloom is done since I disconnected the Co2 but now the soil is leaching ALOT of TANIS!!!! I mean alot a 60% water change didn't even touch it (maybe a smidgen) but I've never seen it that tea colored... kinda cool and the plants don't seem to mind it at all. Actually seeing some growth on the stem plants. The crypt and Java Fern are still not doing great but I know they take a while to re-root.

Will Update once I get fish in.

Rafal
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Plants definitely won't mind the tannins. Nor will most fauna, it's the humans who don't like the tea color haha.

Throw in a little baggy of purigen into your filter. It'll clear up the tannins right away!

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Plants definitely won't mind the tannins. Nor will most fauna, it's the humans who don't like the tea color haha.

Throw in a little baggy of purigen into your filter. It'll clear up the tannins right away!
I'm not sure I mind so much either and I know it has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties so for now if it clears up then its ok.

Thanks!
Rafal
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

NEW ARRIVALS!! Picked up some Apistos today a double red male and his harem of 3 females. I got these from a local breeder and judging by his fish room and his beautiful fish I would not hesitate to recommend his fish. He raises Angels, GBR's(even has some wild caught fish he is wanting to spawn), Apistos (couple different kinds), Electric blue rams and gold rams (i'm sure I missed something) but it was pretty cool to see how he cultured vinegar eels and such just a super nice guy who took the time to talk and share!

Anyways the fish are in the 10 gallon and while the water is tea collered they accepted some food and were exploring thier new found home. I have 3 "caves" setup for the females to chose from and we will see if they pick out a home thy like. Here is some pics but gotta warn that they are still pretty skittish and were hard to shoot.

The "caves are made of 2 3" clay planting pot saucers with the lip cut out to form the entrance. The Dremel just paid for itself by saving me soooooo much work! The caves take up alot of room in the 10 gallon but I'm hoping that they will give the fish some cover from each other.

Male and one of the females:

2 Females together:

Male and 2 females looking at me (hard to see cause of angle)

Updates soon enough I'm sure.
Thanks for looking and helping all.

Rafal
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 04:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Care to share your contact? Nice looking fish!

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 03:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Those caves look pretty good. Did you superglue to two pieces together? Or are they just resting on top of each other?

To save room you could stack the caves all up on top of one another, but have the openings face in different directions?

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Those caves look pretty good. Did you superglue to two pieces together? Or are they just resting on top of each other?

To save room you could stack the caves all up on top of one another, but have the openings face in different directions?
They are just stacked... didn't think to super glue them not sure I would want to in case I needed to clean or check them (that was the thought anyways). They seem stable enough, time will tell i guess... great suggestion I always forget that super glue is fish safe :-)

A condo huh? sounds like a neat thought! I'll see if the fish get acclimated and use the caves at all and then see if they mind the condo idea. But an awesome idea! Thank you!

Rafal
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you have access to a few amano shrimp you should throw them in. I just looked through your pictures again and see a lot of black hair algae :O!

If you do do the condo idea. I would super glue them together haha. Hope your fish like it so you can do the condo !

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you the Algae has always been on that plant. I have been trying to get it to grow for AGES in my 75g and it just stalls and the bottom leaves get black like that I'm almost ready to pitch it.

Rafal

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode