Kendra's Planted Tank Introduction (10 gallon) *DUW* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Kendra's Planted Tank Introduction (10 gallon) *DUW*

So I bought this tank originally as a desktop tank, after leaving that job the tank sat at home for a while and eventually I set it up and decided to try my hand at a planted tank. I did not fully comprehend what all went into a planted tank and promptly bought a couple plants shoved them into the gravel and watched them die.

Fast forward a couple months and I started actually reading about taking care of a planted tank and I bought Fluorescent lights and a couple more plants to try.
(sorry this pic is so messy, I guess I took it literally right after 'planting' all the dwarf hairgrass)

After becoming increasingly frustrated at replanting the DHG I read some more and decided to switch to the Flouramax substrate. So I pulled up most of my plants and most of the rock and replaced it with Flouramax. After replanting the DHG and everything settling I was pretty happy.

Until my Khuli loaches started digging all the grass up...so I still had to replant it all. So I bought some sand to put over the top of the Flouramax. It helped a little and I rehomed the loaches, so my Cherry barbs decided that the grass was their new favorite food. So I took out all the grass and around August I added some new plants. This is the tank today (roughly 3 months after adding new plants)

So thats where my tank is at now and I'm pretty proud of it. I know its not the masterpieces that many of you have set up but it gave me the confidence to get a bigger tank to try and plant.

Tank specs (this is pretty low tech)
-2WPG
-Marineland 100 penguin biowheel filter
-10 gallons
-DIY CO2
-1 big piece of driftwood

Fish
-Betta Fish
-4 Cherry Barbs
-1 Red tail black shark
-2 Algae Eater shrimp
-100's Malaysian Trumpet snails

Plants
-green Ludwigia
-red ludwigia
-red rotala
-corkscrew vals.
-Java fern

I'd love to be able to move this over to a 20 or 29 gallon but for now I'm happy with this tank. I may add some c. parva for ground cover but I don't know yet. I also am going to work on my fish tank photography skills.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode