Help me brainstorm an office tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Help me brainstorm an office tank

I'm hoping that my stock options will pay out in January and among the mature things I'm planning (college funds for the girls, savings, paying off bills, etc.) I'm hoping to put together a "money-isn't-much-of-an-object" tank for my cubicle at work, and I'm looking for brainstorming (or what we call at work a "deep dive"). Here's the requirements:

1. It can't be huge. I might be able to get away with ~20 gal. if it was compact and didn't take up the whole desk (separate stand?)
2. It should be pretty self contained. No one wants to see cords and tubes and filters all over the place.
3. Not too high maintenance. I don't want to be putting in massive overtime doing upkeep.
4. It needs to be somewhat portable. We locate cubicles by project (all engineers on a project sit near each other), so I may need to move it a couple of times a year.
5. Money still matters some. Let's say a budget of $1000 for everything. (I'd really prefer to spend 1/4 of that, but if I see an absolutely awesome idea , I may give it some thought.)

We have a new GIANT cylindrical reef tank in the lobby (we build subsea robotics, so it's almost apropos) so I don't think the whole idea will get shot down. One of the engineers last year had a 5G Eclipse tank and no one batted an eye.

I'll let the suggestions roll for a while, then chime in with my initial thoughts so that I don't stifle any creativity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 03:41 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have a crazy idea for you. You'll need 2 tanks, maybe 2, 10 gallons. One has fish, the other acts as a planted bio filter tank / sump but it should be nice to look at too, not like a regular sump. It could grow emersed plants. Ideally, you'll never need to do a water change, or at lease one everytime you move cubicles.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
Get some rare crypts and some cool less common nano fish.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
No bigger than a 10 gallon if you need to move it around a lot. Get glass because it can support itself on the bottom, can use stands that are metal with gaps with glass, but with acrylic is isn't safe. Plus its easier to clean. A gallon of water can weigh around 8 pounds and when you move it you'll probably be have to empty out most of the water and the hassle of carting water to somewhere to dump is something to consider. I think people love fluval edges for the clean look, they have a 12g model and since you have the money. If you want low maintenance, buy a smallish tank like a 10g and put a filter in it that has 30 gallon capacity. Everyone will forever recommend at least weekly 10% water changes however, but maybe with low stocking you can do every other week with the extra filter capacity. You should plant it because that helps with the filtration too. You could do a brackish tank, get a dwarf puffer, but you'd need to go up to 15g. Enjoy building it up.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
ADA 10 gal and hmmm, can there be some cords? Because then you could get and Eheim 2213, inline heater, paintball co2 with a regulator (not the scary ASA) and a light of some kind. There are more than that many cords coming of a computer. And just because you have co2 doesn't mean it can't be low mant. You could have java fern, wisteria, moss...

Actually scratch that idea. Get a ADA Mini-M and ADA light with an Eheim 2211 and inline heater, paintball co2. I think that comes in under $1000

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well, Karatekid14 pretty much nailed what I was originally thinking as far as hardware. The multiple tank setup sounds awesome and if I had an office I might give it a shot. I've never considered crypts before and didn't know there were "rare" kinds, I'll have to look into that.

I was thinking of acrylic, but pagemee makes a good point about the durability.

So now I'm dreaming of an ADA 30-C on a custom stand, drilled, with a center column containing intake, output and supporting LED lights. Here's a quickie. I'll detail the design a bit later.

I started adding up the costs (thinking it would come out to around $250-$300) and was amazed at at how fast it adds up. Once I added in an Eheim 2232, GLA regulator & 5G CO2 tank, diffuser, inline heater, LEDs and driver it was at $667. That's $93/gallon!

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Planted Member

That would be sweet! Add some ada aquasoil and beautiful glass filter pipes. I've been thinking about a similar set-up for my husband's office.

Dreamy!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotguy View Post
I've never considered crypts before and didn't know there were "rare" kinds, I'll have to look into that.
Here is a thread with pictures of Rare/Pricey crypts.
Post Your Rare and Pricey Crypts!

, and
Cassandra
Just my animals: 0.2 Cornsnakes, 0.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.0 Water Dragon, 0.2.1 Crested Geckos, 1.0 Tiger Salamander, 2.0 Anoles, 0.0.2 Red Eared Slider Turtles, 0.0.1 Map Turtle, 0.0.1 Hermit Crabs, 1.0 Hamster, 1.0 Rabbit, 0.1 Horses, 2.2 Dogs, 0.2 Cats, Chickens, Ducks, Oscar Tank, Planted Bowl, 2x 10 Gallon, 2x 0.5 Gallon, 5 Gallon, and Planted 25 Gallon Tank....Is that it?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You will have to arrange the hardscape and plants carefully to hide the center pipe. Maybe you could set the pipe more against the back wall so it could be hidden. I think that should still give you good flow. Maybe it could look like this with the pipe hidden in the cliff
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010/show71.html

Oh and just so you know, you are spending more money on this little tank than my whole tank, which is also hi tech Have fun!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is an office set up so make it scream business with metal pipes and a nice metal light

http://www.adana-usa.com/index.php?m...cPath=76_26_44

I had an office tank (now at my home, tank in my signature) and it was a 10 gallon - I wouldn't go any bigger because I had to move it 3 times when I changed desks. With the majority of the water gone I was able to lift it (with a wood plank underneath) and I could wheel it on a cabinet with wheels, but if it was a 20 gallon there would be now way to move it with one person.

Your budget of $1000 is more than enough for what was laid out in the above posts! Good luck and be sure to make a journal of it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
This is an office set up so make it scream business with metal pipes and a nice metal light
OOh, those are sexy...

For some reason this portion of your post was hidden until I replied:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusiongt View Post
I had an office tank (now at my home, tank in my signature) and it was a 10 gallon - I wouldn't go any bigger because I had to move it 3 times when I changed desks. With the majority of the water gone I was able to lift it (with a wood plank underneath) and I could wheel it on a cabinet with wheels, but if it was a 20 gallon there would be now way to move it with one person.

Your budget of $1000 is more than enough for what was laid out in the above posts! Good luck and be sure to make a journal of it.
I am hoping to put wheels on the stand shown above so I can just drain some water, unplug it and wheel it to another location. Moving the tank may be less of an issue just because I am starting to think this project I am on now will drag on fooooorrrrrreeeeevvvvvveeeerrrrrrr....

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
After a long hiatus, I just tossed together something along the same lines. Here's the 30c with the incomplete equipment (need to swap out the Zoomed 501 w/the 2211 with glassware and then add an atomic diffuser and Hydor 200 to that).

Won't be planting until I get back from the shutdown; just basically cycling for clarity at the moment.

Eric

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I haven't had a desk in awhile, outside my studio desk which will never have water on it obviously, but I think the smaller, the better.

If you did something around 5 gallons, you could use a zoo med filter and keep it behind the tank and have it be unnoticeable, depending on how you placed it. You would would not be able to place lily pipes correctly this way and still keep the filter behind the tank. That doesn't mean you can't use them. You would also need a background or stems in back so you couldn't see the filter. I have a 5.5 setup this way and I like it, reason why I thought it could work for you.

If you do a stand, obviously you have much more options. I assume you can't drill holes in your desk so a stand will be much easier to hide a filter. With a stand, you really don't need to worry about outlets, filters, cords, etc. You only see a little of them. Put an inline diffusor or reactor and an inline heater, you only have your inlet/outlet and power cord for your light.

-Matt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode