PTrader: (6/100%)
Storrisch's 20g Long MGOCPS tank

First picture is the soil I used

The soil packed down and prior to capping it

You can see the depth difference between the cap and soil a little better here

All capped with fine red flint gravel

Total depth picture

Using a plate to fill the tank so the substrate was not disturbed

Full Tank Shot... sorry I cannot take it straight on as there is a 10g Long immediately in front of it

Erio Parkeri

Blyxa Japonica

Bacopa sp. colorata

I noticed my DIY co2 recipe on this tank wasn't lasting as long as planned so I'm having to switch them out a little quicker. Due to that I've noticed a few strands of BBA starting to grow. I've since reduced the light cycle by 2 hours to 10hrs a day and am changing out a new 2L every 6 days. Here are some pictures from today.

Here are some pictures. I pulled some Bacopa sp. colorata from the tank and added it to the 75g as it was growing too quickly. I also was able to get the Eriocaulon parkeri to flower. I split the second one into 2 additional plants as well. I forgot that in HAP there are flowering points. What are the odds that I can still attain the points for parkeri.....?...anyone?

Garrett Brueland

The Fraternity of Dirt #52
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 02:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)
Great pics in the setup post!
Hope you won't hate questions.
What depth are the soil and capping layers in inches? Estimating is possible looking at the photo but the added detail would be more precise. You mentioned dropping from 12hrs. down to 10 on the photo period how much light are you providing the tank?

With the DIY gas mix failing and requiring replacement every 6 days how long have you had the tank setup? Any tested parameter shifts as the new soils settled in the tank? I'm guessing a small one or not at all based on the material you used. MGOCPS is listed in the tittle but the bagged material shown is the organic potting mix which lists chicken waste while the soil includes cow manure based on ingredients claimed in the listed contents.
Is the tank filtered?

Fantastic opening post!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed,,, keep kicking it
RubberSideDownOnTheLanding,
2-75g planted, 3-55g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 2018 update returning to sanity (Nutz)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where did you get that glass cleaning magnet? I like it.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkndracer View Post
Great pics in the setup post!
Hope you won't hate questions.
What depth are the soil and capping layers in inches? Estimating is possible looking at the photo but the added detail would be more precise. You mentioned dropping from 12hrs. down to 10 on the photo period how much light are you providing the tank?

With the DIY gas mix failing and requiring replacement every 6 days how long have you had the tank setup? Any tested parameter shifts as the new soils settled in the tank? I'm guessing a small one or not at all based on the material you used. MGOCPS is listed in the tittle but the bagged material shown is the organic potting mix which lists chicken waste while the soil includes cow manure based on ingredients claimed in the listed contents.
Is the tank filtered?

Fantastic opening post!
The soil is about 1.5" compacted and about a 1.5" cap on top.

The lighting is a 24" 2 bulb coralife normal output light.
The tank has been setup for about 60 days now.
I haven't been regularly testing the tank, I just keep an eye on how the plants look. There are no fish so I'm not overly concerned.

Listed contents of the soil:
. Composted bark, sphagnum peat moss, pasteurized poultry litter 0.10-0.05-0.05 Total Nitrogen (N) .10% - Ammoniacal Nitrogen .02% - Water Soluble Nitrogen .001% - Water Insoluble Nitrogen .097% (slow release pasteurized poultry litter) Available Phosphate (P2O5) .05% Soluble Potash (K2O) .05%

No filtration.

Garrett Brueland

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-17-2011, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagemee View Post
Where did you get that glass cleaning magnet? I like it.
Its actually a mag clip I was using to hold some airline in place. I also use them for any heaters I use as well.

Garrett Brueland

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode