beardie enclosure - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
beardie enclosure

so i dont know if this is the right are but i thought id share my bearded dragons enclosure and ask for suggestions.
so first of all here it is
\
on the left is his vegetable bowl that i found, and on the right is his rock pile/ cave/ basking area. recently my female beardie lizzy died from head trauma. i did everything i could to keep her alive. i even hand feed her, and then she started to get better and we thought she had gotten over it, but i found that she had passed on morning. so im going to be getting a male beardie from a breeder in CA. first time ive ever gotten a live animal sent to me other than fish, and im kind of nervous. ill probably be buying him next week and am so excited. i already have a name for him, Blaze. well here he is

he's a Trans Leather Back 100% Het Hypo so i need suggestions for what to do one the other side. i was thinking a large piece of manzanitta wood, but suggestions are welcome

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do you have any source of UVB over the tank such as a UV fluorescent? It is strongly advised to use a UVB light source as it helps them break down vitamin D3 which is essential to good health. If not supplied with a proper UVB source they will suffer from metabolic bone disease over time. Other than that your setup looks great! Good choice with the tile substrate as it keeps the young ones from getting impacted, and it is easy to clean. What are the temperatures in the basking area? What are you feeding him? A water bowl is also advised. One that is large enough for them to bathe in, but not deep enough for them to drown in. Just offering some suggestions and pointers! Great looking leather back though! I'd like to see him grown up because the only leather backs I've ever seen are small juvies!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SejRamkas View Post
Do you have any source of UVB over the tank such as a UV fluorescent? It is strongly advised to use a UVB light source as it helps them break down vitamin D3 which is essential to good health. If not supplied with a proper UVB source they will suffer from metabolic bone disease over time. Other than that your setup looks great! Good choice with the tile substrate as it keeps the young ones from getting impacted, and it is easy to clean. What are the temperatures in the basking area? What are you feeding him? A water bowl is also advised. One that is large enough for them to bathe in, but not deep enough for them to drown in. Just offering some suggestions and pointers! Great looking leather back though! I'd like to see him grown up because the only leather backs I've ever seen are small juvies!
i have a 5.0 reptasun right now. im going to get a reptisun 10.0 right after christmas along with a large enough water bowl. the basking area is 103. i will be feeding crickets(with calcium powder, every day), turnip greens, mustard greens(both every day), carrots(every other day), and grapes(once a week).
here's a pic of his dad

he's going to be shipped next monday ( the baby whos name is now Blaze)

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 08:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sounds like your off to a great start!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Sorry to hear about your beardie man. This time, don't let anyone else feed it. (Sorry. Too soon. *facepalm*) That new one looks awesome though. I hope he does well for you. And that cage is pretty sweet.

For a water dish, until you get one, you can use one of those cheapo sandwich containers, like the little square plastic ones. I use those all the time for water bowls and hides. They work very well. As for the greens, they don't need to be fed to a juvie every day. He will do better on crickets or mealies as he will need the protein while he is growing. You can feed him greens a couple of times a week for a while, as he gets older, you can switch it up and feed greens every day and crickets or mealies a couple of times a week. Good luck man.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yea no ones feeding him except me. im actually probably buying some fake plants and a water dish today. ive got a question though. how should i treat a 48 inch piece of driftwood? peroxide??

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutfish View Post
yea no ones feeding him except me. im actually probably buying some fake plants and a water dish today. ive got a question though. how should i treat a 48 inch piece of driftwood? peroxide??
Bake it if you can. Or a light bleach solution. You will have to rinse it thoroughly if you use the bleach and leave it to dry for a few days.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

wouldnt spraying peroxide work bc this wont fit in anything

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Another thing you can do for young Beardies is to use a pipette or clean eye dropper and drip clean water on their head, near their mouth, and they will drink the water up! My Wife is a Vet Tech at a Exotic Animal Vet, and they have found a lot of young Beardies don't drink well from water bowls at first! Just drip a drop or 2 at a time and they will lap it up quickly as it runs to their mouths! We rescued a Baby from one of the big box stores that had a bad spot in it's tail. And after having th the bad part of his tail removed by the Dr. He wasn't drinking very well, and the drip trick worked like a champ! He is doing MUCH better, and has doubled in size in the last 3 weeks!

So GOOD LUCK to You with your sweet looking Beardie! Nice Setup too!
Drew
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
wouldnt spraying peroxide work bc this wont fit in anything
Not sure honestly. I have always used the baking or bleach thing. You can't fit it in the tub?

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxxerBoyDrew View Post
Another thing you can do for young Beardies is to use a pipette or clean eye dropper and drip clean water on their head, near their mouth, and they will drink the water up! My Wife is a Vet Tech at a Exotic Animal Vet, and they have found a lot of young Beardies don't drink well from water bowls at first! Just drip a drop or 2 at a time and they will lap it up quickly as it runs to their mouths! We rescued a Baby from one of the big box stores that had a bad spot in it's tail. And after having th the bad part of his tail removed by the Dr. He wasn't drinking very well, and the drip trick worked like a champ! He is doing MUCH better, and has doubled in size in the last 3 weeks!

So GOOD LUCK to You with your sweet looking Beardie! Nice Setup too!
Drew
thanks!

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
Not sure honestly. I have always used the baking or bleach thing. You can't fit it in the tub?
yea but mom wouldnt be down with that.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
yea but mom wouldnt be down with that.
Got ya. I would look around on the net a bit. There has to be something.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yea. i was told to use peroxide to kill anything for using the wood in the fish tank. ive got 2 pieces that ive got in the oven

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 01:30 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to CrazyMidwesterner
I put my driftwood in a new garbage can and filled it with bleach water. The piece was still to big so I let it soak for two days and then flipped it let it soak for two more days. I repeated the Same with clean water with to rinse it. Seems to have worked. In the tank now with no issues.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

75 Gallon Lowtech
75 Gallon Hightech
10 Gallon Cherry Shrimp Farm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode