Welcome to the Jungle! (20gal tall) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Welcome to the Jungle! (20gal tall)

So I have had this 20 gallon tall for about a year now, and as it is my first fully planted tank I have learned a lot. I have been through many trials and tribulations with this tank, and I'm finally beginning to be pleased with the results. I would like any suggestions on my aquascape as well as my equipment setup. I also have a few ?'s about some of my plants.

Equipment:
1 x 2 x 14w t5no fixture from home depot, homemade reflector about 1" above water
1 x 6500K bulb
1 x 10000K bulb
1 x Aqueon Quiet Flow 30
1 x Marineland 100 W Heater
1 x 88g pressurized Co2 from Hagen. (not terribly pleased with this considering paintball Co2)
Dosing Flourish regular

Flora:
Lymnophila Aromatica (thin stem, not growing fast, thin small leaves?)
tons of Rotala Indica (rotundifolia)
Rotala Macranda sp Green (small leaves, growing slowly?)
Java Moss
Tropica Fern
Blyxa Japonica
Myriophyllum Mattogrossensegreen (lower stems/ leaves slightly brown?)
Micranthemum umbrosum
Crypt. Lutea
Hygrophila sp. "Bold"
Sunset Hygro

Fuana:
2 x Rummy Nose Tetras
3 x Siamese Algea Eater
5 x Pearl Gourami
Lots of Cherry Shrimp

Below are links to 2 previous tries with this tank that I was not pleased with the results with

First try: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/aq...s-updated.html

Second try: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/aq...me-jungle.html

New Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-12-11_18-13-35_328.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	38653  

Name:	2011-12-11_18-14-36_689.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	38654  

Name:	2011-12-11_18-14-51_693.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	38655  

Name:	2011-12-11_18-14-04_281.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	38656  

Name:	2011-12-11_18-14-26_371.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	38657  

Last edited by SejRamkas; 12-12-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good! I love your driftwood and crypts. I have to say though, it would look pretty awesome if you tied some java fern or anubias to the left base of the stump.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually plan to tie some java moss to the entire stump, just waiting for it to grow in a bit because I just recently moved a large portion to my 55 gallon. These pictures are right after a recent trimming, so its not quite as full as it will be. Also I wanted to throw out a question. Would it be a good idea to swich to t5ho? I'm getting good consistent plant growth, but was curious if it would be a good idea on this deep tank.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

As of right now I have a simple home depot dual 24" t5 setup but I got to thinking. This setup has two bulbs put right next to each other with the ballast behind them. I built a cardboard reflector wrapped in aluminum foil to act as a reflector for both bulbs. I know this is not the best option, but I just havent had the time to build a better one. Now I've been planning and have a setup in mind. These reflectors will be made out of thin aluminum sheeting (either kept bare or painted white.... whats better?), and I want some input on how much better you think this setup will be than my current one. Thanks. Angles on reflectors are 135 degrees if that helps. Images were just drawn up quickly in SolidEdge to get a good idea of dimensions and the final product.
Attached Images

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Would this be a more suitable reflector design? First angle is 150 degrees, second is 130 degrees. Is there a certain angle that will give me the best light spread/reflection? Also, should I leave it the tin/aluminum color or paint the insides white to get the most light reflection?
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anyone have any kind of input? I'll be visiting my parents over the holiday break (home from college), and will have time to work on these reflectors then. I would like to have a bit of input from more experienced people before I begin this project. Thanks!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
i am sorry, i do not have answers to your questions. But i have to say that i love your aquascape. That stump is great. I actually have one that looks exactly like that one going in the tank i am building right now.

Looks great. Hope you get your answers. Good luck.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SejRamkas View Post
Anyone have any kind of input? I'll be visiting my parents over the holiday break (home from college), and will have time to work on these reflectors then. I would like to have a bit of input from more experienced people before I begin this project. Thanks!

I have a T5 sunleaves (http://www.sunleaves.com/default.asp) unit over my tank and the reflector configuration looks almost identical to your second design. The product seems pretty high end to me so I can only guess that they chose the best design.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement ChadRamsey! I think the second design is going to be the most beneficial to me just because it seems to be able to reflect and spread the most light theoretically. Thanks for the link WallaceGrover it also sheds some light on the issues I've been trying to deal with.... pun may be intended there. What size tank do you have this over? What would you say your lighting is i.e. low/medium/high with that reflector? Thanks!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode