New to the Forum, thought I would share - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to the Forum, thought I would share

Hello everybody, I am a long time reader first time poster to this forum, I have been working with tanks for 20 years on and off. I just sold my 55g Saltwater tank, and I am concentrating all my efforts and $$ to my planted discus tank. It's a 90g tank, 4 discus, 100+ cardinal tetras, a bristle nose pleco, and about 10 amano shrimp. I am running Dual T5's and a LED setup. My most recent purchase was a pressurized CO2 kit from GLA. Far to many plants to name. The following pics are not the most recent, they where taken the day that I installed the pressurized CO2, since then (about a month) the plants have quintupled (if that's a word) in size. Sorry if some of the pictures are blurred, it's a new DSLR and I am still learning how to work the flash so the pics are not blurry. The large yellowish discus I kinda rescued from BA's, as the fish was not doing well at all, it's doing much better in my tank. I am locating in (as you can see from profile) St. Catharines Ontario, my biggest challenge is trying to find quality aquarium accessories and fish. My closest LFS is a 45 minute drive to BA's and unfortunately the quality of fish is not always the best. I am currently looking into doing some major driftwood / red java rock work to the tank. All of my plants are either from BA or ebay, direct from Poland, and Malaysia and Taiwan. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed and appreciated.

[/IMG]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I currently have an outbreak of tiny snails, and some light BBA, that I am looking to get under control, the BBA is almost taken care of, thanks to many posts that I have been reading on here, and I have been trying to clear up the snail problem as they are overwhelming and chewing the bejesus out of all my plants. I have been using shot glasses with a bagged salad mixture stuffed in them over night which takes care of several hundred each night, but it's doesn't seem to be putting a dent in the population of tiny snails.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
If you have that many snails they probabily have laid eggs everywhere already and chances are you're fighting a losing battle. I would invest in ONE or TWO assassin snails and have them slowly eat away the population. Don't buy 10 or so assassins at once as they'll crash the pest snail population and then have nothing to eat.

Glad your BBA battle is coming to a close. Which method did you use? Excel, black out?

Good looking tank. Do you think the front section is a bit bare or are you keeping it that way to show off the fish?

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
I second the assassins. Your tanks looks good.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I would suggest that you look to see if there is an aquarium club in your area. They often have great classified ads, auctions and swap meets. You can get great deals on equipment and plants that way, also tap into the knowledge of the members.

Also, for your pictures, try taking pictures without the flash. Leave your tank light on, and use a chair or something to prop the camera on when you are taking a picture to hold it steady (tripod is optimal), and take your picture. I would love to see a recent picture of your tank

I noticed that some of your plants were still in their little pots in your tank. I would take them out of the pots (if you haven't already), and remove as much of the rock wool and then replant. Plants seem to do better planted directly in the substrate.

Other than that, everything looks great! Did you have any trouble with customs, etc., importing plants into Canada?
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
If you have that many snails they probabily have laid eggs everywhere already and chances are you're fighting a losing battle. I would invest in ONE or TWO assassin snails and have them slowly eat away the population. Don't buy 10 or so assassins at once as they'll crash the pest snail population and then have nothing to eat.

Glad your BBA battle is coming to a close. Which method did you use? Excel, black out?

Good looking tank. Do you think the front section is a bit bare or are you keeping it that way to show off the fish?
Front is a bit bare, I am waiting for plants to come in, I have ordered a bunch of new plants, and I will re-scape when they arrive. The BBA is under control with an Excel OD. THank you for the advice, now I just have to find out where to get them. Finding quality aquarium goods around here is quite a challenge, I order most things online.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by touch of sky View Post
I would suggest that you look to see if there is an aquarium club in your area. They often have great classified ads, auctions and swap meets. You can get great deals on equipment and plants that way, also tap into the knowledge of the members.

Also, for your pictures, try taking pictures without the flash. Leave your tank light on, and use a chair or something to prop the camera on when you are taking a picture to hold it steady (tripod is optimal), and take your picture. I would love to see a recent picture of your tank

I noticed that some of your plants were still in their little pots in your tank. I would take them out of the pots (if you haven't already), and remove as much of the rock wool and then replant. Plants seem to do better planted directly in the substrate.

Other than that, everything looks great! Did you have any trouble with customs, etc., importing plants into Canada?
Some of the plants are still in the pots because it was a temp placement until the newer ones arrive, then I will take the pots and wool off the roots and replant. The only time I have had issues with customs are with items arriving from the US, I have had plants shipped from all over the world with NO issues at all, only things from the US for some strange reason. Thanx for the photo advice, much appreciated!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:51 PM
Banned

what is that suction cup thing with the bubbles called? i know its for the co2 but where can i get it
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchymasters View Post
what is that suction cup thing with the bubbles called? i know its for the co2 but where can i get it
Bubble wand? You can find it in Walmart, LFS. It's very common but you'll need a air pump to run it. It's also not only for CO2, it allows more surface area to appear on the top of the water increasing the rate O2 and CO2 are exchanged. Also increases water circulation.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy86 View Post
Front is a bit bare, I am waiting for plants to come in, I have ordered a bunch of new plants, and I will re-scape when they arrive. The BBA is under control with an Excel OD. THank you for the advice, now I just have to find out where to get them. Finding quality aquarium goods around here is quite a challenge, I order most things online.
It's not bad ordering stuff online. I have to do that 95% of the time since I live in a college town lol. There's like nothing around here... I would check the Canadian SnS on this forum. I'm pretty sure you can find everything you're looking for there!

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchymasters View Post
I got mine when I bought the CO2 kit, it's NOT something that can be purchased at WalMart, the WalMart ones are designed for running air. The one that I have is from Green Leaf Aquarium's it's an actual CO2 Atomic Diffuser, it makes the smallest bubbles for the best absorption of CO2 within the tank. The ones that are made for Air at Walmart are about $2 these ones that are for CO2 are about $50 but work flawlessly because it's produces the smallest bubbles possible, almost a fog.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
Tank looks great. That really sucks that your LFS are not good. I used to have really bad panic attacks and could not get out too far away, was limited to one store with any plants and one store that had OK fish. I feel your pain.

That said, it looks like you are doing a really great job. I think this will look great as it grows out. I would love to see a carpet plant of some sort, it will make the tank look "mature" and developed.

-Matt

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyguy86 View Post
I got mine when I bought the CO2 kit, it's NOT something that can be purchased at WalMart, the WalMart ones are designed for running air. The one that I have is from Green Leaf Aquarium's it's an actual CO2 Atomic Diffuser, it makes the smallest bubbles for the best absorption of CO2 within the tank. The ones that are made for Air at Walmart are about $2 these ones that are for CO2 are about $50 but work flawlessly because it's produces the smallest bubbles possible, almost a fog.
Ahh. Didn't know THAT's what they meant when they said it was for the CO2. I thought she meant to gas off the CO2 at night. Yea that would definitely be more effective for CO2.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by talontsiawd View Post
Tank looks great. That really sucks that your LFS are not good. I used to have really bad panic attacks and could not get out too far away, was limited to one store with any plants and one store that had OK fish. I feel your pain.

That said, it looks like you are doing a really great job. I think this will look great as it grows out. I would love to see a carpet plant of some sort, it will make the tank look "mature" and developed.
I just got a small order of dwarf hair grass that I have put at the front of the tank, still waiting to see if it fully recovers from the ride in from Poland.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post

I took your advice and bought 2 Assassin snails today (3 where in the bag thou I guess I got freebie), plus 2 otto cats, and 3 german blue rams....they where on sale

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode