1.5 month old 29g tank "Pic Heavy" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
1.5 month old 29g tank "Pic Heavy"

Hey all

Just wanted to post a new planted tank that I start about 1.5 months ago. I kept a 55 and 29 gallon marine aquarium for about 8 years but decided to break it down about 2 years ago because I was not able to give the tank enough of my time to keep it running. I ended up getting the itch again to start it back up, only this time as my 1st planted tank.

Tank setup is...
The decided to go the dirt tank route using the 1.5" Organic Miracle Grow potting soil 3/4" sand and 1" of Eco Complete.

Fluval Canister Filter
Odyessa 24 x 4 T5HO lighting
DIY CO2 at startup.
Was able to get my hands on a 20lb Co2 tank filled for $40. Woot! This has been running for about 3 weeks now.

I decided to get my plants from Sweet Aquatics even though I heard that they were slow in getting items shipped. I wasn't in a hurry to get the plants because I was still cycling the tank. Here is a list of plants that I ordered and some pics.

Rotala Indica (Rotala Rotundifolia), Ludwigia Natans (Ludwigia Repens), Cabomba Caroliniana (Cabomba, Green), Water Wisteria (Hygrophila Difformis), Cryptocoryne Spiralis, Cryptocoryne Walkeri, Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red, Cryptocoryne Crispatula var. Balansae, Echinodorus Ozelot 'Green' and Echinodorus Tenellus (Narrow Leaf Chain Sword)

Water Wisteria

By philthymcnasty at 2011-12-10

Crypt Walkeri

Ludwigia Natans

Cabomba Caroliniana

Cryptocoryne Crispatula

I was very happy with the plants that I received and the price I paid.

Here is a pic of the tank after I placed the plants in.

And here is what the tank looks like now. The Wisteria has grown like a weed. I trimmed it once already and might have to do it again unless I decide to let it grow out of the tank.

Livestock includes
2 Red Fire Gourami's
10 Neon Tetras
5 Tiger Barbs

Let me know what you guys think (good or bad). I'm think about redoing part of the front of the tank with dwarf hairgrass or something close to it.

Livestock includes
2 Red Fire Gourami's
10 Neon Tetras
5 Tiger Barbs

Last edited by PhilthyMcnasty; 12-11-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 03:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
That tank looks good man.

What type of light do you have? Are you dosing ferts at all, or just relying on the soil?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice tank!! Its soooo... jungley! Do you have any bottom dwellers in mind for this tank?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Great growth. Looks nice.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post
That tank looks good man.

What type of light do you have? Are you dosing ferts at all, or just relying on the soil?
Thanks man. I bought a 24" fixture from aquatraders. Here is a link to the one I bought. http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4...e-p/52303p.htm

Not bad for the price but I will buy better bulbs when they need replaced. Also, this fixture does not have individual reflectors. I like how it has 3 power cords, 2 of them power two lamps each and the 3rd powers the 2 moon led's.

As of right now I have not used ferts on the tank but looking at getting Flourish tabs or making my own.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetThereBeFish View Post
Nice tank!! Its soooo... jungley! Do you have any bottom dwellers in mind for this tank?
I wanted to do a heavy planted planted tank so I could try and keep algae down to a minimum. I was going to get some oto's but to my surprise, I really had no problems with algae (knocks on wood).

I been looking for some albino cory's but for some reason my LFS are having problems getting them in. Petsmart got a few in but sold out of them quick since they were $1.00 each
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilthyMcnasty View Post
Thanks man. I bought a 24" fixture from aquatraders. Here is a link to the one I bought. http://www.aquatraders.com/24-inch-4...e-p/52303p.htm

Not bad for the price but I will buy better bulbs when they need replaced. Also, this fixture does not have individual reflectors. I like how it has 3 power cords, 2 of them power two lamps each and the 3rd powers the 2 moon led's.

As of right now I have not used ferts on the tank but looking at getting Flourish tabs or making my own.
That is a nice fixture. How many bulbs do you run and how long? For fert tabs, you should look into osmocoat root tabs. You can make them yourself and it is pretty cheap to get the stuff to do it.

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode