Demonbreedr's 20gEH Riparium - SE Asian Themed Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Talking Demonbreedr's 20gEH Riparium - SE Asian Themed Tank

Ok, so I got a 20 gallon extra high a week ago now...while looking at it, I was pondering ideas...when I started thinking about the crack, I didn't feel comfortable filling it anywhere near it...so then the thought hit me! Riparium...

I had the stuff from a few previous attempts that I loved but never worked out...

Continuing the story:
A few weeks ago in WM I seen a betta I wanted to bring home[actually, I'd like to bring them all home, but I can't :P ] ... what drew me to him was his coloration[blue & red Cambodian/marble-ish mix] and tail type[crowntail] and that he had swim bladder disease...

Well...this last week, he got over it and could control where he swam[99%, atleast] and I suddenly realized if I set up the tank and put him in, he'd have a bigger space[he darts and I didn't want him darting in the ornament and getting more injuries] and that'd be 1 less tank I have to worry about every single day[1gal critter keeper]...

SOOO...to today, I bleached and really cleaned up the tank, dechlorinized it, blah blah blah and put him in...when I did, he acted as though he died and went to heaven!

Anyways, as it sits, it's incomplete, but within the next few weeks, I'll resolve that and within the next few months, hopefully it'll grow to match my [high ] expectations...

If anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, whatever, I'd LOVE to hear them!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Pics!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:44 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thats a crazy tank. Should be a good riparium. Can't wait to see it planted.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
You'll have to select plants with the right size + shape, but that should be a nice riparium.

For such a tall tank like that a riparium is a better use.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hi everyone!

Kworker, there isn't much to show justtt yet...it's the riparium containers/rafts, a silk plant, and 3 decorations for Tygris[the CT betta] to swim thru... :P It's just functional for now...but I'll definitely take pics when there are things to show!

aretreesfree, It really is a crazy tank shape...like...2 10's stacked...lol

Hydro, I was thinking crypts, mosses, java fern(s) and such...easy things that will live under 30W of CF lighting...

For the moss & duckweed, I already have that covered[thank you shrimp10! ]...

hopefully the crypts and ferns will be easy to acquire too because you can tell, tho they live in there[/I have some], they don't have any babies that I could use[IE, they aren't as fast growing as the java/flame/Christmas moss ]...

Any other plant suggestions from those? I'd kinda like to keep it SE Asian...
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 04:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
That is a crazy tank shape. I like it. Should make for a great riparium.

If you want crypts, I have some. Emergent grown, but will still work. Wouldn't mind taking some of that moss off your hands......

If not, talk to gordonrichards on here. He has a bunch of stuff that he sells. Some of my crypts are from him, and they are great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ooo...that'd be cool! How much moss would you want and would it bother you if it's mixed together? [I have flame and java for sure...but maybe also Christmas? They're all entwined, tho]

Also, while reading thru your tanks' thread, I see you have Myriophyllum Mattogrossense...I'm dying to have that plant again[not really, but I hated when my last batch died off since it was so epic]...do you have any strands/cuttings you could part with?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonbreedr16 View Post
Ooo...that'd be cool! How much moss would you want and would it bother you if it's mixed together? [I have flame and java for sure...but maybe also Christmas? They're all entwined, tho]

Also, while reading thru your tanks' thread, I see you have Myriophyllum Mattogrossense...I'm dying to have that plant again[not really, but I hated when my last batch died off since it was so epic]...do you have any strands/cuttings you could part with?
I would be interested in a little bit of each moss. Not a whole lot, maybe the size of a marble or so. And I can trim back the M. mattagrossens. I have it going crazy in two tanks.

post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, that'll be very easy to extract! Would you be interested in any amazon frogbit, BTW? It continually takes over my 20gL with 15W T8 light so if you wanted some...I could send several pieces...
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ok, that'll be very easy to extract! Would you be interested in any amazon frogbit, BTW? It continually takes over my 20gL with 15W T8 light so if you wanted some...I could send several pieces...
Naw, I will pass on the frogbit. I am currently infested with duckweed and I hate the stuff.

Shoot me a PM tomorrow, and we can work out all the details for this. I need to see if I can get some ID's on some crypts, but I know for sure I have C. wendtii 'Red' growing emersed. I have like 3 or so more kinds as well, but I don't know what they are.

post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The best thing it's got going for it[besides being a major nutrient sponge, atleast] is that it's MUCH easier to eradicate then duckweed[because it's a LOT bigger] but I know floating plants block light to others and that alone can suck...

And I have duckweed in Arc's[my red copper dragon HMPK] 2.5, the shrimp10, & the 20gL and I get what you're saying about hating the stuff! lol It just doesn't want to die... :P
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
The best thing it's got going for it[besides being a major nutrient sponge, atleast] is that it's MUCH easier to eradicate then duckweed[because it's a LOT bigger] but I know floating plants block light to others and that alone can suck...

And I have duckweed in Arc's[my red copper dragon HMPK] 2.5, the shrimp10, & the 20gL and I get what you're saying about hating the stuff! lol It just doesn't want to die... :P
I try to stay away from floating plants as a lot more of the plants I have been getting lately need higher light to color up a bit. Not to mention, with HOB filters the stuff can make a mess.

I don't think duckweed can be killed. It will survive nuclear holocaust with the roaches and twinkies.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Still haven't gotten anything done on the tank[sick]...but Tygris has a bubble next by one of the riparium planters... :P

Anyways, I think this is the list:

Equipment:
20gEH glass tank ... brown trim/stick on thermometer
Tetra Whisper 10i Filter
Tetra Whisper 50W Heater
20LBS. brown gravel[including in the riparium pots]
3 small riparium pots/trellis rafts
2 stump ornaments

Fauna:
2 Firebellied Newts[if I can find them and depending on how they do with -- below]
1 M CT Betta - Tygris

Flora:
Flame/Java/Taiwan Moss
Cryptocoryne Wendtii ‘Red’ & ‘Green’
Hygrophila Corymbosa ‘Stricta’/’Kompakt’/Angustifolia
Hygrophila Polysperma/Polysperma ‘Rosanervig’
Rotala Rotundifolia
Java Fern
Tiger Lotus
Floating Fern/Duckweed[because it's entwined with the moss & floating ferns]

Any thoughts so far?
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Still haven't gotten anything done on the tank[sick]...but Tygris has a bubble next by one of the riparium planters... :P

Anyways, I think this is the list:

Equipment:
20gEH glass tank ... brown trim/stick on thermometer
Tetra Whisper 10i Filter
Tetra Whisper 50W Heater
20LBS. brown gravel[including in the riparium pots]
3 small riparium pots/trellis rafts
2 stump ornaments

Fauna:
2 Firebellied Newts[if I can find them and depending on how they do with -- below]
1 M CT Betta - Tygris

Flora:
Flame/Java/Taiwan Moss
Cryptocoryne Wendtii ‘Red’ & ‘Green’
Hygrophila Corymbosa ‘Stricta’/’Kompakt’/Angustifolia
Hygrophila Polysperma/Polysperma ‘Rosanervig’
Rotala Rotundifolia
Java Fern
Tiger Lotus
Floating Fern/Duckweed[because it's entwined with the moss & floating ferns]

Any thoughts so far?
Hope you feel better.

Not sure about the newts. They like cooler water, like low 70's and the betta will like warmer water, low 80's. So you may not work there. I am not 100% on this though.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 04:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm still alittle on the edge about them, but if they seem uncomfortable, I'd definitely adopt them out...the betta is my main priority, obviously... :P

But I used to have one and it did very well for itself in warmer temps so I'd still kinda like to try a couple and atleast see if I can keep them happy/healthy...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode