GraFFix's 10 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
GraFFix's 10 Gallon

I've been a member at PT for around a month. In that time I have learned many things, been amazed by many of the images posted by other members, and inspired to create my little masterpiece.

I currently have only a 10g tank due to space restraints...but I am happy to say that I will be upgrading to a 20g in a week or so. My 10g will be broken down and brought to work to make space for the new 20g. Most of these plants will be transplanted into the 20g as well as the fish. This is why I thought i would share the tank the way it is now before it is all gone. And of course I will post pics of my new setup as soon as its up and running.

First the Current setup:

10 Gallon
Medium sized gravel
UGF
AC70 (modded to slow flow)
45w misc fluorescent
DIY Co2 system with hagen ladder
Due to the fish load I do a 4g WC once a week to keep nitrates in check.

Inhabitants:

8 small Neons
2 Zebra Danios
1 Bristle Nose Pleco
1 tiny Clown Loach
7 Amano Shrimp
8 Cherry Shrimp
1 Clam
3 Ottos

Plants:

Java Moss
Red Lugwiga
Rotala Indica
Amazon Sword
1 Algae Ball (2")
Wisteria
Mondo grass
Watermellon sword
Mondo grass
Watersprite

Water Parameters:

Temp - 78
Ph - 7
Nitrate - 10ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Ammonia - 0ppm
Co2 - 18ppm
Phosphate - 4ppm
Dosing Flourish only

And now for the pics. Sorry in advance for the quality their not the best.

A few from the front of the tank...

The view from the best invention ever....The Lazyboy chair! (side view)

One of the many cherries...

Can you find the Amano?

Working as usual...

And just because im excited to get the new 20g up and running i thought id run down what im upgrading to.

20g AGA back glass painted black, 65w PC lighting, Eheim 2213, 100w Visi-Therm stealth heater, 40lbs eco-complete topped with TMS.

Its killing me because i have most of the stuff sitting here waiting for the 2213 to come in. Should be anyday now. Then my plan is to setup the 2213 on the 10g for a week or so to start some biological filtration going, then break down the 10g. save some mulm from the UGF lay that under the eco-complete to seed the new tank. Pack it with plants and start the fun! Hopefully this will keep the tank cycle to a minimum.

Thanks for looking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 06:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your 10G looks really great so I can't wait to see your 20. Will you be trying anything novel with the 10G when you get it to the new location? I've just planted a 10G in a south facing window with an open top. It's got filter pack over potting soil for substrate, heavily planted with Ludwigia Repens, an 18W corkscrew CF (in a pendant fixture) and Nutrafin CO2 with ladder diffuser. I plant to yank the CO2 when the plants take off so that I can get the pH back up and add some fish. Sorry for the ramble...I hijacked your thread! (blushing...)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Thanks for the kind words!

With the 10g Its going to be pretty simple...easy plants not much lighting...just going to keep it easy as possible to maintain. After all im supposed to be there to work not play with a tank...or so they tell me. lol
As for fish Ive decided that the only fish that wont be going into the new 20g are the Neons. everyone else will be moved to the 20g
Ive had the neons for so long I kinda want a change in the tank so the they will live in the 10g at work with some shrimp. and ill probably be getting a school of rummnynose tetras for the new 20g tank to add to the exsisting list of fish.

Although I saw a thread today and really loved the way the tank looked...so I might try my own little version of this kind of aquascaping. Here is the link to that thread. https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=15352

Ohh and dont worry about the rambling..I do it all the time. but you might want to rethink about pulling the co2 off the tank..the levels will quickly drop and plant growth will not be as good. What is your current ph at? Maybe you could keep the co2 and look into other ways of raising ph...slowly i might add

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ah yes...the Gomer thread and the famous tree. Very nice indeed.

My goal with the 10G descrbed above is to dabble in the Diana Walstad approach http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846 thus once the plants take hold I'll likely pull the CO2. I have VERY soft seattle water, thus the pH drop. It's at or below 6 right now, since the low pH solution is just barely turning pale yellow. I could buffer my water (which I'm about to start doing for my other tanks) but for this one I'm trying to keep all input except for light and water to a minimum. No dosing of any kind, either to alter the water chems or feed the plants.

I think there's anothe thread here somewhere in which a guy is looking for a photo of schooling rummynose ... (time passes) ah yes, here it is https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ight=rummynose so if you get a good photo of your new school you might want to add it...

Good luck with the new setup and keep on tinkering!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode