This is an unstoppable hobby! :) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is an unstoppable hobby! :)

Hello!

Well, first off I shall introduce myself a bit. I got my first real fish tank when I was 9. It was a 5 gallon tank and I've had fish for all but 2 years ever since! I am a college student so most of my fish keeping is diy. This can be anything from hoods and filters to random decor, fish tanks, etc. I will try to post pictures and instructions of what I make if anyone want to try them on their own.

I have 3 main tanks. The 10 gallon cichlid tank (for my roommate's fish), the 75 gallon community tank (owned by my college, cared for by me - I love my job) and my 55 gallon tank. The other two I will randomly mention will be my 3 gallon plastic tub that acts as a quarantine tank (custom filter) and my 15 gallon holding tank (will be gone when my 55 gallon gets set up).

To start this off, I figure I should tell you a bit about this custom filter I have in my quarantine tank. It's a very simple thing and works great for my purposes.

What you need:
a small container (I used the Ball Freezer storage jars from Walmart)
an air pump with tubing and stone
gravel

First thing to do is punch small holes in the bottom of the container. Then place air stone attached to tube inside container and fill with gravel about 2/3 the way full. (see attached picture). Then place some filter wool down into the top of it, place in tank and plug in the air pump. I can make 5 of these for less than $5 (excluding air pump).

For my quarantine tank I don't want the carbon or all the filtration, because depending on what I'm doing with it, depends on the needs.

In other news, I have been having problems keeping the school's tanks stats steady. Not surprised. They were told to put straight tap water in the tank (no treating), the filter has almost nothing to it, heaters didn't work and don't even get me started on the substrate. So I have finally been able to pull the kH up from just over 0 to 4 naturally, but all the other tank stats are fluctuating. So today, I stuffed an old spandex sock full of crushed coral and stuffed it behind the plants and under the bubble wall. I'm going to let it run a couple days and then clean the filter before the break. This is a project to say the least, but thankfully, I have 4 years to fix it. This tank is planted with plants I'm told are native to S.C. that is all I know on that. I will try to take pictures tomorrow to post on here, maybe you know what kinds they are. Some crazy kid dumped a bunch of chemical in the tank a couple years ago and killed everything, the plants destroyed, but they have grown back considerably and as I know little about plants, any advice would be awesome!

Well I have a test to study for, but next time I will have two projects.
1) the LED hood
2) the under gravel filter.

~Sasdrum
Attached Images

Current self study project: custom aquarium decor
Current favorite fish: Featherfin Catfish, Pictus Catfish, Rainbow Shark, Lyretail Molly, Gouramis, Discus, Red Lined Torpedo Barbs
Current tank of focus: 75 gallon School Tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay, so it was an interesting morning. I woke up to find fry in my quarantine tank. I had not expected this at all! I just got the two black lyretails yesterday, so instead of studying for my bio test, I was living it, we are studying population genetics and ecology. After pulling the fry from the quarantine tank to put into a breeding trap in my tank, I finally got around to looking at them. 4 are solid black, 1 is white and 1 is a mix of black and white.

For these fry I needed to get my air pump so the lyretails were placed in the science tank quickly (not that a big of deal the stats are only a couple degrees off on kH and gH) and my filter was converted into a sponge filter which is now down and just right of my breeding trap. Then I ran to my lfs to see about some liquid fry food, but she didn't have any in stock so I got some java moss instead (had been planning to get some for my big tank this just sped it up a little). Now the fry have this little column of java moss in their breeding trap which they are munching on occasionally and the rest of the wad I got has been spread out in my 15 gallon.

I'm still new to plants, so was wondering if anyone knew if I could continue to fertilize my plants with the fry in the tank? I use API Leaf Zone. I'm supposed to put it in tomorrow. Anyone have any experience here?

Thanks!
~Sadrum

Current favorite fish: Featherfin Catfish, Pictus Catfish, Rainbow Shark, Lyretail Molly, Gouramis, Discus, Red Lined Torpedo Barbs
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I used to make these for my cray tanks, but instead I used a bottle.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pics of the tanks or none of this happened!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It seems I kept missing one in my counts of fry. There actually 7 Molly fry. (they are in the breeding trap). My sponge kept floating and I didn't want to stick it under my rocks in case my catfish tried to get into the crevice, so I have wedged it into my extra filter.

As for pictures I have attached pictures of my 15 gallon holding tank (this is a temp tank until my 55 gallon gets set up after Christmas). I will have to get pictures of the science tank tomorrow as the building is locked now, but that is a cool tank.

Again if anyone knows if I can use API Leaf Zone plant food with the fry, please let me know.

~Sasdrum
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
what sort of plants are you dosing?

Leafzone, in general, is pretty mild stuff so shoudl be ok.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have an Aponogeton Hybrid, some Java moss and some sort of fern. No clue on type just that it is native to S.C. Glad to hear it. I might do partial doses just to be safe. Thanks!

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This is the 75 gallon tank I take care of here at my school. I've been given free reign over it so long as the fish don't die. Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20111209_124830.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	38522  

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-11-2011, 12:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Okay, so I've been working out the details on how to build my lighted hood for my 55 gallon tank. Well, more like my dad is asking a million questions so that he can get everything set up and then I just put the lights in when I get home for break. Anyway...

I've been looking at using LED lights, technically Christmas lights that I get easily right after 25th. I have reading lots of stuff on both sides of the issue and it seems that the general agreement is that they are perfectly fine if you are not growing plants, but if you are growing plants then you need certain spectra, etc. So after more research, I have found that there are Christmas lights sold that produce the desired spectra. Now, since I am not growing anything terribly complicated and don't plan to anytime soon, I think this is a viable option for me. My dad has already created what will be my hood for me and after the e-mail I just sent him with all my research data, will likely be out and about looking for lights this week (or drilling 100 1/4" holes in each of my two hoods).

That is the plan thus far. The fry are doing well, I set up a mini "filter" for their breeding trap. It's not really a filter, just a way to push water through it from my tank (hair clips and spare pieces of airline tubing work quite well). I'm probably going to be reworking the layout of the 75 gallon tank next week. I'm thinking of creating a some sort of stair stepping shelf that I can put along the back to create some height as the school doesn't want any plants that are not native to S.C. and the ones that they have are only reaching heights of 8" which makes everything not on the driftwood (that you can't see) look really small. I'm also going to be going hunting for some cool rocks tomorrow to put in the tank. I have rocks for my 55 gallon, but I don't have enough to put any in the 75 gallon. Maybe I'll find some cool pieces of wood too.

~Sasdrum

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode