Algae growers you are my inspiration. And a reverse "Dirt Tank" - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Algae growers you are my inspiration. And a reverse "Dirt Tank"

This is a 20g at my shop, but most of the time it needs about 2-3 gallons of top-off water. lol

1 lonely black molly that doesn't earn it's keep, 30 or so long and short fin BNP's and like every tank I own a load of junk RCS.

I do a water change maybe twice a year, never add anything else other than food. I might clean the glass inside and out once a year. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

For some reason I think I got this dirt tank thing backwards.

A ten gallon with a load of rotting wood and a common pleco. Of course it's full of junk RCS. Dont think I've done anything to this tank to two years accept toss in a few pellets for the pleco and shrimp couple time a week. The entire stream of water from the HOB flows over the intake tube area since the cartridge is so dirty. lol

This has mostly crushed coral as substrate and all that junk is, well, you know what common plecos are like. lol

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
First tank looks pretty acceptable haha. That second tank.. does seem you go the dirt thing going backwards. Glad everything is surviving in there. Why the yearly water changes? Just too busy to clean out these tanks?

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
I hope you're not saying all that brown stuff on top of the light substrate in the bottom tank is fish waste? What is the water quality like for your fish?
(hoping I'm just too tired to get a joke...)

The Fraternity of Dirt # 7 - Daughter of the Dirt - Canon Club #018
Twin 29g Dirt Tanks on an Iron Stand - DIY 3D Backgrounds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Behemoth - 125 dirt tank

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The only fish in the dirt-y tank is a common pleco, no other fish. It was used as a tank to sink some driftwood and the common pleco didn't suit my 60g when I added the BNP's. The junk RCS are fine in there as well with the population still growing. Those I trap and give to the LFS for them to sell but I think the employees keep taking them home. lol

I'm guessing all that stuff on top of the sand is a combination of waste, rotten wood and the avocado leafs I add every now and then.

Last I checked the gh and kh were way up there and I assume that's from the crushed coral.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The dirty tank is now clean. Pulled out the common pleco and 50 or so shrimp and they went off to the LFS for a thank you. Tank now has inert substrate instead of the mix of gravel and crushed coral that kept the kh and GH so high. I'll move some CW010 cories into it and hopefully induce some action.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quick shot of the 3g at home sitting on the wine rack.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode