My 75 Gallon (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
My 75 Gallon (56k)

Hello everyone,
I recently scored a decent deal on a 75 gallon tank of craigslist, and now I get to upgrade from my 55 to the 75. ( I never was satisfied with the depth of the 55 so i've been looking for a 75)

Here is a pic of what i'm working with at the moment.

Untitled by jeremyblevins, on Flickr

And here's a picture of my older 55 (a.k.a green hair algae heaven)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
That's a nice 75. I have a 55 sitting in the garage, but I haven't put it up. Everyone says that 75s are better because of the depth. So I may never put the 55 up, LOL> Can't wait to see this tank completely set up!!

Proud Momma of 1 Baby Girl, 8 Goats, 1 Horse, 10 Chickens, 2 Guineas,1 Rabbit, 2 Dogs, 1 Cat, 1 Hermit Crab, 4 Angel Fish, 16 Tetras and 2 Cory CatsOh, And a Hubby that understands my tank addiction! (Update! Since going planted he now SHARES my tank addiction!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay so i found a guy locally who makes furniture out of driftwood so he said i could get a 4 foot piece from him for around $30. So now i just need to find a piece that like.

Does anyone have a good link to show how to suspend a light? i plan on building a wood enclosure and having it suspend over the tank.

Also one last question for the moment is the 75 gallon aquarium made out of oak? when i make the light enclosure i want it to match as closely as possible. I plan on staining the stand a dark red mahogany.

Thanks

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
you could always do somthing like this, its not a canopy but its cheap and i think it looks good. i just used copper water line soldered it and painted it black then used some waterline clamps and screwed it to the back of the unitlight is the same as yours just 24" and i bought the reflector from a hydroponics store and painted it black
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	38384  

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	38385  

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	38386  

Last edited by wpgfish; 12-06-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfish View Post
you could always do somthing like this, its not a canopy but its cheap and i think it looks good. i just used copper water line soldered it and painted it black then used some waterline clamps and screwed it to the back of the unitlight is the same as yours just 24" and i bought the reflector from a hydroponics store and painted it black
Nice. I was thinking more alone the lines of a wooden box though similar to what they have on the AH supply website. The lighter colored one( though my will be stained a dark red mahogany color the same as the stand) I haven't decided on if i'm going to suspend the lights from the ceiling or just make two conduit pipes.

Speaking of varnish does anyone have a good guide to varnishing as i've never done it before.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Is anybody on here good at recognizing wood? i would like to match the same wood in the light enclosure if it's not too much money.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Soaking the driftwood.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (42/100%)
Looks like pine or maybe Douglas fir. Definitely not oak though.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

okay so the outside of the stand is almost finished. I'm thinking i might want to paint the inside to make it look nicer and also more resistant to water. i was thinking white, grey, or black. Does anyone know of a good way to paint wood that's fairly waterproof?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2011, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay finally got the last coat of poly on the stand last night. just waiting until tonight to bring it inside here are some pictures.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Looks nice man! Hope that canister works out well.
A little late, but when staining pine, sometimes it helps to use a stain conditioner, which helps the stain soak evenly, unless you are looking for some contrast.
Look into maybe.seeing of you can find a cheap pipe bender, and buy some galvanized conduit, bend it, and use pipe hangers to mount. I dont have a bender myself, but i can borrow one for a weekend if you are ever around.
Also, once you get this going let me know, I have plenty of stems, crypts, floaters, moss, guppy grass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah i plan on going the conduit route. I'm hoping they'll just bend the pipes for me in the store since i just need to 90 degree bends. I'll definitely let you know when i need some plants. Thanks again.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Okay I'm trying to figure out how I wanna setup the filtration. I have a 305 and a 304. I was planning on having each intake strainers in either back corner and then getting two fluval spray bars and having them on the back glass facing forward at a slight angle down. What do you all think or recommend?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

anyone?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Sounds like even flowage. You planning on hooking up thr CO2? And how?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode