For Sewingalot, some impressive algae- my 230g - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (206/100%)
Send a message via AIM to msjinkzd
For Sewingalot, some impressive algae- my 230g

So this tank used to be pretty heavily planted with just willow hygro, but the fish kept rearranging everything so now its just an algae farm. Inhabitants are 3 Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri, a Polypterus ornatipinnus, a Tropical gar, and a Red bay snook. I am sure you will all be awed at my amazing algae (which I actually, truly, like for these inhabitants as it lends a mysterious dark tone to the tank).

Click image for larger version

Name:	algae.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	38380
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (112/99%)
Very impressive algae growth but it doesn't top the algae in my 55 g CRS tank

-
-
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:37 PM
ShrimpRetirement

PTrader: (397/100%)
lol I like your fish... algae, might take a bit of getting use to I suppose. :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Algae is bad????
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:44 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
LMAO @ title!

Nice looking algae you have there, Rachel! I see at least three types of algae, I must say I am impressed especially on such a large scale. I like how you have the two algaes (clado and bba) that indicates clean waters in nature, and really appreciate it layered like that. I must say, it's a pretty contrast.

By the way, those are some nice looking fish in that tank. How long have you had these fish? And awesome stand! I love the industrial look to it.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I am also impressed at its lovely contrast. I really really like this algae tank. I shoudlhave taken the pic when the GSA was evident as well, you may have swooned!

I was not sure if that bright green algae was clado, as its MUCH brighter and very "soft" than clado I have in my amano tank. Ithought it was a much more exotic version but I can resign myself to it being clado.

As for the fish, I have had the gar for 3 years, the polys for 4-5 years, and the snook for 1 year. The polys were only 3" when i got them, I grew them out in 20 longs (believe it or not) at 3 different intervals over the year. The gar I purchased at about a foot long, he is pretty much capped out in size now at 2' or so.

I do have a baby cuban gar growing out to join them.

As for the stand, my darling husband made it for me Even the inside is diamond plate. Its a very sexy tank stank! The "M"'s are because I work for the Monster Aquaria Network and that is our logo.

Glad you enjoyed my algae show! I will take some closer pics for you, if you like, of the supposed clado and would happily send any along that you wish to inspect with your scope.

I do know that this tank has GREAT water conditions. Its filtered by an FX5, a C530, and an AC 110 and it gets 2x50% water changes a week.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I love the Gar!
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

HOLY. MONSTER. FISH.

Where is Jeremy Wade when you need him?

Good lookin tank. I would love to have something that big, but it will have to wait for a while. Any more pics or specs of that stand? I think the fiancee would kill me if I built one like that, but I may not be able to resist. DIAMOND PLATE ROCKS!!! \m/>.<\m/

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

here is a pic of the cuban growing out, he is a very very sexy fish! As soon as he wouldnt be a treat, he is joining his prehistoric friends(he is only about 10" now, still way too small):
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post

HOLY. MONSTER. FISH.

Where is Jeremy Wade when you need him?

Good lookin tank. I would love to have something that big, but it will have to wait for a while. Any more pics or specs of that stand? I think the fiancee would kill me if I built one like that, but I may not be able to resist. DIAMOND PLATE ROCKS!!! \m/>.<\m/
Yea, this is not their "forever" tank, merely the stepping stone until they all breach two feet. The gars will top out at about that, but the polys will get nearly 3' eat so I will likely build an 8'x4'x3' tank

as for teh specs on teh stand, what would you like to know? If you want, I can take some more pics with teh doors open.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
Yea, this is not their "forever" tank, merely the stepping stone until they all breach two feet. The gars will top out at about that, but the polys will get nearly 3' eat so I will likely build an 8'x4'x3' tank

as for teh specs on teh stand, what would you like to know? If you want, I can take some more pics with teh doors open.
Wow. That would be a huge tank. Would you run that one BB as well, or are you going to try some sort of substrate?

And as for the red statement, Yes please. I want to know everything about it. That stand is gnarly.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy69846 View Post

DIAMOND PLATE ROCKS!!! \m/>.<\m/
I have shop lights that would match too!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

yea, my lighting blows, lmao.

I will take some pics tomorrow. If I go down now, I will startle the gar andthat is never good (its why I leave all thatlovely algae). If they startle, they can easily break their back or beak.

If you ever saw teh size of the poop produced by those fish, you would understand the bare bottom. I had sand for some time, but their poop are teh size of the giant sized tootsie rolls. Makes for a mess. With all that directional filtration, sand gets sucked into filters aswell. Its just easier to keep it b.b.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjinkzd View Post
yea, my lighting blows, lmao.

I will take some pics tomorrow. If I go down now, I will startle the gar andthat is never good (its why I leave all thatlovely algae). If they startle, they can easily break their back or beak.

If you ever saw teh size of the poop produced by those fish, you would understand the bare bottom. I had sand for some time, but their poop are teh size of the giant sized tootsie rolls. Makes for a mess. With all that directional filtration, sand gets sucked into filters aswell. Its just easier to keep it b.b.
Yeah, don't scare that monster.

I figured that was the reason for the BB, but was not sure.

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:49 AM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I so want some algae! I will be glad to add it to my collection. I have quite a few jars now. Oh and up close pictures of both the algae and especially the stand would be much appreciated.

P.S. That Cuban gar is great. The first time I read it, I thought you said you were about to put a cuban cigar in the tank. LOL!

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode