The Moss Jar Diaries. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
The Moss Jar Diaries.

Well, I got bored today. I moved a tank, cleaned animals and the room. You would think that I would just want to sit and do nothing. Nope! Not me! I found a couple of jars instead. Cleaned them and poked holes in the lids.

Then, threw some peacock moss in them and filled them with fish tank water from my 10 gallon and 20 gallon tanks.

I stuck them in front of the window to the best of my ability. They are also sitting next to my greenhouse, so they should get a lot of light. I want to see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fish tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.
"What the smeggin smeg's he smeggin' done now?!" - Lister

Last edited by cableguy69846; 12-08-2011 at 01:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Moved the moss jars over to where they would get some light. Not going to get any sun in the window till the summer. I may try it again then. But for now, they are getting the spill over from the 15watt 9500K light on my hex tank. I think I see some growth from being in the window though. Maybe some better pics of them tomorrow.

post #3 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Hm.. why the lid with holes poked in as opposed to no lid at all? I know someone who had glass jars of moss inside an aquarium and they grew pretty well. Not sure if the lack of surface aggitation will impede their growth at all. But at any rate, keep us posted on how this goes. I might take a leaf out of your book and do this to grow some "clean" moss as well !

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆

post #4 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
An airstone will help

My 65g jungle October rain
post #5 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwu13 View Post
Hm.. why the lid with holes poked in as opposed to no lid at all? I know someone who had glass jars of moss inside an aquarium and they grew pretty well. Not sure if the lack of surface aggitation will impede their growth at all. But at any rate, keep us posted on how this goes. I might take a leaf out of your book and do this to grow some "clean" moss as well !
I have to have lids on them for the same reason I have to put glass tops on all my tanks. The two fuzzy monsters, I mean, cats. Lol. I would have loved to do it lidless, but that was not an option. I may get a bin to put them in with light like my smaller greenhouse, then I can do them lidless. I am trying to see if I can grow lots of moss fairly quickly in them to sell. For now, I am trying one moss, but in the future I would like to do a few jars of a few mosses. I am also going to be changing water weekly and swapping it out with tank water. I think I see a little new growth on them from the past few days, but not sure.

post #6 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
An airstone will help
Trying to keep this one as low tech as possible. I don't even want to have to buy a light for it.

post #7 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Yeah you start off with a moss jar a week and before you know it you need a moss jar everyday or a couple times a day, next thing you know you'll be in the Subway bathroom giving (use imagination here) for moss jars, you better quit while your ahead.

post #8 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150EH View Post
Yeah you start off with a moss jar a week and before you know it you need a moss jar everyday or a couple times a day, next thing you know you'll be in the Subway bathroom giving (use imagination here) for moss jars, you better quit while your ahead.
ROFL!!!!

The funny part is, I can already see a shelf or two being dedicated to these things.

post #9 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Your funny. I would say this would work just fine. Saying this because I have moss just floating in my water change bucket and it grows, dont know how much but it does.
post #10 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoods View Post
Your funny. I would say this would work just fine. Saying this because I have moss just floating in my water change bucket and it grows, dont know how much but it does.
I saw someone with a huge jar stuffed with Java moss, and now I want to try all the mosses I have. I am wondering if I can get them to attach to small pieces of wood and rock this way too. I can't wait to go to the LFS no. They have Java moss there I think I need to have.

post #11 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

This is the thread I found when I googled it the other day. One of the reasons I started these.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...java-moss.html

post #12 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Changed out the water today. Replaced about 80% in each jar with water from my 20 gallon before I drained it. There is new growth on the moss too. Not much, but some.

If you look closely, you can see the light green of the new growth.

post #13 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Got another jar today. Now I just need some moss. Maybe I will see what I can scare up out of my tanks.

post #14 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
Is that just a red reflection of is there a shrimp in one jar?

Cable her jar was sitting on the sill with indirect light for most of the day, so a sill facing northwest would be perfect as you might get a little early morning sun but then just bright indirect light because the moss isn't going to like getting hot. I'm not sure your bookshelf will provide enough light for the same type of growth but I guess we will see, what do you think?

post #15 of 145 (permalink) Old 12-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
HOLY CRAP. That other link you posted. That is a moss jar. Utterly filled to the brim with moss. Glad this is working out well for you. I might start up some soon :]

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode