First shrimp tank!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
First shrimp tank!!

So I am doing an office tank, was gonna be a 5.5 betta until I got to the LFS today. I was staring at an Ebi and they said they'd sell it to me for $50, so of course, here I am with an Ebi!!! Yeay!

Probably will start with CRS since I'm a shrimp newbie. This will be a slow process since I have to read up on shrimp care. I know every1 like pics, so here's my stratum soaking, lol.

More when I find some good hardscape!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

CRS is crystal red shrimp... RCS is red cherry shrimp... did you get them confused? :P
Congrats on the shrimp though, they're fun, I got my first ghost shrimp the other day and they live with my betta, who surprisingly doesn't have any interest in eating them.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 07:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Yea you'd wanna start out with RCS. CRS are a step up and a tad more difficult.

Fish Shrimp tanks are like cups of coffee, one is never enough.

ヽ( ゚ヮ゚)ノ.・゚*。・+☆
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-04-2011, 08:23 PM
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)
Where in sc are you? I wanna go to that lfs if they'd sell it for 50. I paid 90 at fishy business in Columbia!

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- Steve Jobs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Where in sc are you? I wanna go to that lfs if they'd sell it for 50. I paid 90 at fishy business in Columbia!

I was at tideline aquatics in Hannahan, you may wanna call to see if they have more first though!

To everyone else, I think I did have them confused, yes I do wanna start with the easier shrimp, so that would be RCS then, lol.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I can tell Fluval Stratum is really good just due to the amount of rinsing for that little bag. Anyways, got the tank on my desk so this weekend I'll be all over town looking for hardscape. I can't decide if I want rocks or wood.. hmm.

Also trying to read up on shrimp care, I see LOTS of conflicting info on CO2 and fertz, so I'm thinking I'll keep it simple with low-maintenance plants. Can anyone offer some plant suggestion, and input on their experience w/CO2 and fertz??

(sorry 4 crappy phone pics)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	38362  

Attached Images

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I finally got it all planted up. Have some Water Sprite, Hygro Compact, and Crinum. Do I have the Crinum planted far enough in the substrate?

After it cycles I think I'll go with Yellow Shrimp.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Photo0075.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	39562  

Name:	Photo0076.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	39563  

Name:	Photo0077.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	39564  

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
There are some respected shrimp breeders on here that will say CO2 and ferts are just fine with shrimp...even crystals. What you will likely find is less prolific breeding but in such a small tank that might not be a bad thing. Otherwise, it seems that the ferts and CO2 are shrimp safe as long as you don't over do it on either. I have shrimp (RCS) in my tank with pressurized CO2 and PPS Pro ferts and they breed. As much as without...don't know...but they are breeding and not dying so all I can say is it much not be that bad for them. I do both on the low side though just to be safe.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool, I might start off with some DIY CO2 then and see how that goes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I've decided to go with Yellow Shrimp b/c they have the same care requirements as RCS, so a good beginner shrimp. My question is.. how many should I get to start with? Is 10 too many for the Ebi?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
the rule is generally 10 shrimps per gallon (although I don't know the validity of this claim), so you're 70 shrimp under the limit lol
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

oh wow lol!! ok i guess i've got nothing to worry about then lol
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I have some Yellow Shrimp on the way!! I was thinking I'd like to keep something with them to control the population but not eat all of the shrimp... Would a killifish be happy by himself with the shrimp, and not kill all of them? Or have any other suggestions?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I was going to keep a killi or pair of endlers in my ebi but....the shrimp are just too interesting! You could just sell or rehome any extra babies But a small fish probably would be ok, and some shrimplets would survive if you have enough hiding spaces for them.

Projects:

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
You can house some other stuff (nanofish) with the shrimp but in a shrimp only tank they breed better and the bioload of even one nanofish is going to be similar to that of quite a few shrimp.

Once you get the yellows and they start breeding that will likely keep things lively enough for quite a while.

With any sort of neocaridina shrimp you have a lot of flexibility as they are very hardy and tolerant. You could use ferts and co2 but I wouldn't bother.

I would go with mosses attached to driftwood or rock and maybe some java fern attached to driftwood or rock.

The shrimp love the moss.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode