New 55g (210ltr) setup (56K) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New 55g (210ltr) setup (56K)

Iīve just taken down my mbuna tank and been setting up a planted tank again, missed that green stuff.
I whent with flourite this time, never tried that before, hope it is as good as they say.
Iīll be using 120W of flourescent lighting, 2 sylvania gro-lux bulbs and 2 Phillips aquarelle.
I installed a undergravel heater and set the heat to 25,6C. I ordered an eheim 2026 which has been working wonderfully and the water has never before been so crystal clear.
Now the planting has just started and will probably take some time since plants are pretty hard to get here and pretty expensive, I placed an order with one of the LFS, hope it soesnīt take to long.
Here is an overall picture.

I started out with 8 hockey tetras, 3 ancistras (bristlenose pleco), 3 SAEīs, 2 black mollies and 6 silvertip tetras, they actually made eggs (what do you call it) yesterday. I actually donīt like them to much, a bit to active and bother the other fish a little, specially the hockeys.
Here come some pictures please give me suggestions about plants that would go well, fish or aquascaping ideas.

A bit of green hair algae

One of the SAEīs, pretty small they are.

A hockey tetra

the bristlenose plecos are also pretty small.

Plant ID please, something aromatica??

Hope this cabomba will grow nicely, others I had before did not do to good.

Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Definitely Hygrophila ... could be Hygrophila corymbosa ''Aroma'' or Hygrophila polysperma ''Ceylon'.'

John P.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 09:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Definitely Hygrophila ... could be Hygrophila corymbosa ''Aroma'' or Hygrophila polysperma ''Ceylon'.'
I think it looks more like Hygrophila polysperma ''Ceylon", but what do I know.
The tank looks great by the way, I would suggest that you try to move the pile of rocks on the left over just enough that you cover the blue reactor thingie. And of course the more plants the better .

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:02 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
Looks nice and it looks pretty cool right now but as many will suggest, more plants. Its very scarcly planted right now so I suggest you get more plants and you'll have a better hold on any algae developing inside the tank.

Andrew

Whats in your glass box?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 10:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fosty
The tank looks great by the way, I would suggest that you try to move the pile of rocks on the left over just enough that you cover the blue reactor thingie. And of course the more plants the better .
Or, since you are running a 2026, a if you are running pressurized co2, go for a DIY inline reactor. Aside from that, looks like a good starting point. I like that background!
But, I am a bit leary of the balancing act on the rocks on the rights side of the tank...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2005, 07:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The rocks on the rigth are actually alot stabler than they look. Iīll be trying to hid the reactor soon, I wanted to see if it was working properly before I hid it.
Iīm just waiting until the LFS gets some more plants, I hope that wait wont be to long, canīt wait for more plants.
I was considering getting a few egeria densa just to cut back on the algae, I would then remove them when Iīd get more plants and when the tank gets balanced.
Iīm also thinking that unidentified plant is a Hygropphila polysperma "Ceylon", just because it has been growing rather rapidly.
And BTW Iīm using a DIY CO2 with 2 2L bottles.

Eheim pimp #127.
600 ltr (160g) planted tank. Pressurized CO2, Eheim 2260 & Sacem Marathon 2000, 156W T5.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

The tank has been running almost 3 weeks now, having a bit of an algae problem but nothing overwhelming, hope it doesnīt get worse.

Got a bit of egeria densa, hope it will help outcompete the algae.

I also picket up this new plant at a LFS, the girl that was working there obviously didnīt know to much about fish or plants and didnīt know the name of the plant, please help identify it. Havenīt seen one like it with quite so large leaves, looks like an overgrown Cardamine lyrata

There was also a discount on fish this week, I couldnīt resist and got 8 banded barbs, although I was going to stick mostly to tetras. Iīve had some before and these guys are actually very calm and pretty much keep to themselves, also the seem to school very well. My silvertips are actually bother the others in the tank alot more then these barbs. Maybe Iīll remove them, just not to excited about netting them, pretty fast they are.

Hope the LFS will be getting a shipment of plants soon, I placed an order with him 2 weeks ago and he still has not placed it sucks living in such a small market!!

Eheim pimp #127.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 01:08 PM
Algae Grower

Probably

Hydrocotyle leucocephala
Also known as Brazilian Pennywort.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you, That looks about right, was hoping it was brazilian pennyworth

Eheim pimp #127.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

you should really get more fast growing plants to outcompete the algae; you can always get rid of them later. If you like the egeria, get about 20 stems. that should help a lot.

You're in my heart, you're in my soul, you'll be my breath should I grow old
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yep, itīs just that the LFSīs here donīt really have any plants now so Iīve had to get clippings from people here and there, Iīm waiting for a plant order, hope it comes soon.

Eheim pimp #127.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 12:50 AM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to depthC Send a message via MSN to depthC
I can second the brazilian pennywort ID. Ive got this plant and it grows like a weed. You shouldnt have a hard time with it ...

Andrew

Whats in your glass box?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode