fishoutawaters 50gal pent. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
fishoutawaters 50gal pent.

Well heres where I am so far.... I have ordered 3 bunches of Cyperus helferi To put between the two big pieces of driftwood and on the left of the driftwood.

Any suggestions or comments are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chris tank 1.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1008  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 06:38 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
that is mad tank, how long has been setup for? what subtrate are you using? ad how old are them discus?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-16-2005, 05:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I like your setup. I like tanks without stem plants.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well the discus are at different ages, but are around a year, give or take a few months either side My tank actually has some ludwiga and a little bit of watersprite in it. I plan on these being temporary... I wanted to have something to suck up excess nutrients to beat the algae. I may decide to keep the ludwiga, but we'll see.

I just put in the Cyperus helferi I got from Lowcoaster. It is an AWESOME looking plant. I cant wait to see it when it gets to 20 - 25 inches. It is gonna look amazing. You can see that I moved the brazilian sword to a different tank. I added some rock and repositioned the java ferns. I am looking for more narrow leaf java fern to cover the big piece on the right. Right now it is sparaticaly placed on the wood to make room for growth THANKS TO gw11ucb for the narrow leaf!! one of my favorite plants. I cant wait to see that thing COVERED!!! I am also going to add a little more java fern on the back piece of wood. I have a bunch of store credit at Marks tropical fish, so Im probably going to pick up a crypt mother plant of some kind for either the left front or the right under that piece of wood and that extra java fern. Any suggestions??
Right now I have some ludwiga and my crypt wendtti in the back left of the tank. A piece of wood breaks the back from the front. You can see some of the other crypts mixed among the dwarf sag buck sent me. I have already dosed once with seachems flourish. Last night I dosed a second time and dosed flourish excel. It hasnt been long, but knock on wood the algae will stay away with my pleco and SAE's. I know its inevitable, but Cross your fingers.
The next plans for the tank are to build a hood, ditch the black neons and get some regular neons, and next week probably pick up one more member to add to my discus family. I am thinking a leopard snakeskin, but we'll see what happens. Here are some pics now.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00079.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1050  

Name:	DSC00068.JPG
Views:	99
ID:	1051  

Name:	DSC00064.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1052  

Name:	DSC00062.JPG
Views:	109
ID:	1053  

Name:	DSC00072.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	1054  

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

here are a couple more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00073.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	1055  

Name:	DSC00074.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1056  

Name:	DSC00075.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1057  

Name:	DSC00077.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1058  

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thats a nice tank you've got there..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Member #76
410 litre (110g) tank.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

*updated*

Well its been a year of a LOT of learning!!! I have been trying this and that and am never quite satisfied. (Are we ever? ) I thought I would post a couple pictures of the tank since then. I have had a TON of growth in here. I have taken plants out to plant a friends 55g, completely fill a 10g, and a 3g. I think thats pretty nice for a low tech tank personally. My residents are 3 discus, 12 cardinals, 8 black neons, 2 SAE's, and 4 corys... not to mention countless MTS. I am ok with it but feel like I can do more. I dont know if im satisfoed with my pieces of driftwood. Im thinking about some Manzanitta but am not sure. The truth of the matter is I want a biger tank lol. Its hard placing things in a pentagon tank without making it look really "centered" if you know what i mean. Anyway I am up for any sugestions. The anubias nana has completely taken over the driftwood which is nice. I have removed over double its amount and put it in other tanks.

You can also see that on the left side of the tank I have some eggs on the wall. The German discus and the Blue are a pair and spawn EVERY week. The day they I get wigglers they get the urge to eat them though but thats ok. The mere fact that they are spawning says im doing something right! Anyway lemme know wht you think I could do. I am going to be moving my tank in about 3 weeks so that will be the time to do it!!

Heres the tank..... Crypt heaven lol..
one of the German when hes not in his spawning darks

Name:	DSCN01491.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	2664

one of the eggs.... sorry bout the blur.
Name:  DSCN02041.JPG
Views: 91
Size:  41.9 KB

one of the tank

Name:	DSCN01971.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	2666

another of the same

Name:	DSCN01981.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	2667
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

come on..... is it really that bad?

i hope not.

show a little love............ a little hate even!!

something please
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:41 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Discus... want... one...

Awesome tank, and even awesome-r fishies. Makes me jealous. I think everybody is jealous and that's why no responses.

Nothing really to improve... my hat's off to you for an enjoyable planted tank.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:50 AM

PTrader: (16/100%)
Sorry Fish!! Wasn't ignoring ya, just admiring!

That is a sweet Discus tank for sure. They look right at home. Au-Natural.

What size is the tank? 75G? I dont think I missed the size during the reading. How bout some specs? co2, external reactor, UV?

Please divulge!!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 04:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastalker
What size is the tank? 75G? I dont think I missed the size during the reading. How bout some specs? co2, external reactor, UV?

Hey thanks guys for the compliments! You guys are to nice. You're right though; the fish really are a treat. I love watching them. We have been through a lot together since I made the change over to planted -hehe-. Discus are amazing. I am thinking I might try and find a home for my Mandarin Passion though. I just feel like since the other 2 have paired up It might do some good to lighten the fishload, make some space, and maybe find him a female to team up with somewhere else Anyone have a female the need a mate for? hehe

I have tried to create something decent with what I have got, but the Hairgrass is always greener on the other side I love it some days and want to start over others. I dont think im alone feeling that am I -haha- A pentagon tank has been a real fun challenge to work with. I think my next tank is gonna have to be just a classic "Rectangle" though. You get to see more that way i feel.

Well let me get on to the specs.

The tank is 50gal. I dont think it could be easier to take care of honestly. I have a JEBO 110w on top as well as an 18w PC in the back of the tank to get some light back there....(its really hard to light a pentagon tank. ) I have a couple of sheets underneath the JEBO though to block out a little light in some places to create some shadow and to not BLAST the tank with light. As you can see I have a TON of Crypts in there, sag, Vals, and anubias for DAYS.

I dont have any Co2 hooked up. All I have had to do is dose Flourish and Flourish Excel... Thats it Lowtec is TOTALY the way to go for me.

My SAE's and Ottos take care of ANY algae that gets in the tank other than the green stuff that seems to love anubias leaves. I have been so lucky to never deal with an algae outbreak...(SERIOUSLY knock on wood lol) The tank really just takes care of itself.

I do 2 water changes in the tank a week mostly to try and get rid of the film on the surface, but it comes back the next day. It does not seem to do anything other than drive me up the wall which is good

I think that covers what you asked. any other questions?? I would LOVE some suggestions. Thoughts on Manzanita rather than Malasian in the tank?

dang I just previewed the post.... sorry for rambling!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 06:51 PM

Your tank looks really nice! I'm curious, what kelvin # is your light? I have a 46gall and I'm trying to get a retrofit kit to upgrade the light. I Will have 96watts- didn't know if I should go with a 5000K or 6700K- I'd like to know what yours is cause supposedly under 6000 it will have a more yellow/red tone, and above 6000 it will have a more blue tone.

I don't plan to do the CO2 either. Is that what the flourish is for?

What subrate do you have, I couldn't find that on the thread if you said already.

Even though I only have the 30wat bulb right now, I've already got algae growing on the glass. I hope it doesn't explode when the new light goes in!

Well, again, you've done a great job. I've only been able to find one other person who has a lowtech plant tank, so I plan on using both of yours as a guide!

Good luck!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well I am back! The move is over and we just got our Cable and Internet set up this morning WOOHOO! It took a lot of prep and fast acurate work to get the tank torn down and moved, but I have to say that I am SO happy with the results. I rescaped the tank and I have to say that I am FINALLY content. Ever since I 1st planted I wasnt quite sold on the lay out. I tried many different things, but always went back to the same layout....... Well I decided I was going to try something different and organize things a little better. I am going to get some more pictures to show some angles but here is a general shot. OF COURSE my discus are curiously pressed up agains the front let me know what you think of the new layout!!!

https://www.plantedtank.net/tankprofiles/101/
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 04:55 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fishcrazee
Oh wow, Some people are so great with aquascapes!!! I wish I was one of them. Well since I'm not, I just go green with envy seeing everyone elses beautiful tanks. Also I never really caught on to the beauty of black neons, seeing yours in the first pic has opened my eyes. I bet a big school or black and normal neons would look beautiful
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I agree. Large schools are breath taking! I am working on the funds to grow the school a little bigger

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode