Fluval - My take high tech take on the little gem. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Fluval - My take high tech take on the little gem.

I also posted this on the edge thread, but i thought if I filed under journal I would be more apt to provide updates. This was a tank style I have always enjoyed and I have a thing for little tanks and high tech tank stuff. I loved the look of the tank but dis-liked the lack of light coverage. So, I did what I usually do, and made a modding project out of it. Aside from the lighting and CO2 reactor, all of the other equipment was stuff I had on hand from past projects. Here some details on the tank.
Hardware
Tank: Fluval edge
Lighting:
Mod #1 -replaced stock halogens with mr11 LED units from ledwholesalers - NOTE: this mod by itself made a huge difference and would facilitate most common plants.
Mod #2 - modified a second base piece I received from Fluval and original top cover to accomodate 5 Cool White CREE XR-E Led's driven by two 350mA moonlight drivers, mounted on individual heatsinks with solderless connectors from Rapidled.com NOTE: I love this! Should be enough intensity to grow anything and I can access the tank without moving the lighting.
Substrate: Minerialized worm castings capped with older Eco-complete I had on hand
Filter - Fluval 204 with Marineland ins and outs -NOTE: these work great because they blend into the black of the column on the back pretty well
Heater - inline hydorNOTE: I will never use anything else, nothing inside the tank
CO2 - paint ball cylinder + adapter + azoo regulator, solenoid, and needle valve+ fluval bubble counter NOTE: works good so far, but I will probably change the needle valve
CO2 reactor - ISTA max mix NOTE: looks like the best $10 piece of hardware ever, but I am getting mist in the tank. Will build a DIY inline Grigg reactor when I get time

FLORA
Utricularia Graminifolia and Hemianthus Calictroides- emersed grown in this tank as a "dry start" NOTE: actually thrown in few months back and pretty much forgotten and they look it now
Dwarf Hairgrass(parvula) - purchased as an emersed grown mat
Plant nutrients - EI(KNO3&KH2PO4 pre-mixed liquid) + Flourish + Excel at double dose until tank gets establishedNote: I dose small amounts daily - it easier for me to remember the same thing every day
CO2 is cranked way up (50 ppm) until plants get established then I will back down and set light to 8 hours a day.

FAUNA
nothing yet...thinking 6 ember tetras + ottos or pygmy cories OR some cool shrimp plus ember tetras or CPD's or other upper level swimmer. IDEAS????

**UPDATE 11-29**
a few months back I through the rocks in and some HC and UG under just the mr 11 leds as a dry-start. Stuff grew great and I kind of neglected it for 8 weeks only misting a few times. By the time I wanted to finish it had some BGA, and green algae going on. On 11-22 the HC was replanted, Hairgrass added and tank flooded. Immediately some UG and HC melted but seem to be recovering. The tank is now 7 days in from being flooded, I am just starting to see a little diatom and the green algae that grew in emersed phase is starting to grow a little. But, I like the look of the green algae on the rocks. Maybe I will dial back the lights a little.

Let me know your thoughts and any ideas on what fauna to add would be much appreciate.

DAY 7 -pics from my crappy P&S camera:

Pic with flash on to see overall:

Pics of the light/hood mod:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
That looks really nice... may I ask where you got the second base from ? I cant find a link to buy it.
I have been trying to do a similar mod on my edge.. but the lack of a second base has prevented me from doing it.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got one as a warranty replacement. I would ask an LFS to order you one(what I did).

Last edited by mjproost; 11-30-2011 at 08:39 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks awesome!

Have you had any issues with the Ista max mix? I was very happy with mine, until I opened it up to clean it over the weekend.. Now it leaks out the bottom where it opens, and I have a feeling that finding a new gasket is going to be a nightmare...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:09 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
This looks awesome. I love your led mod and how you used the canister filter. Look forward to watching this develop.

--
--

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey9999 View Post
Looks awesome!

Have you had any issues with the Ista max mix? I was very happy with mine, until I opened it up to clean it over the weekend.. Now it leaks out the bottom where it opens, and I have a feeling that finding a new gasket is going to be a nightmare...
Thanks! No leaking issues with Max Mix. I think my Fluval 204 with all the fittings, inline heater, and the max mix itself my flow is dropping below the minimum recommended flow. I am getting a little mist from the output tube.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

**updated - 12-6-11 - day 15##

Here is a quick update on my tank. It looks like everything is making the transition from emersed to submerged well, had a little more emersed growth melting this week, but that is to be expected.
Here are my notes:

- the HC is growing vertical and the leaves are very small - could it be I do not have enough light?
- the Hairgrass is purchased as parvula is acting much more like Acicularis. It has some 7" leaves and I have never had hairgrass grow this fast. Does anyone know how to tell the difference?
- I still need to do something about the mist bubbles, maybe this week.

Next week, I will try to include some more hardware shots, and maybe add some fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode