My Tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
My Tanks

So I decided to start this journal to hopefully help get my tanks up and running the way I want them. I currently have 4 10g, 1 29g and 1 55g. The 29g is in real poor shape, but no fish. Just an outbreak of snails and a few plants. My 55g is in better shape, but things aren't quite right, plants decaying, etc. My 10 gallons, well they aren't even set up yet.

I just have neglected the tanks for far too long and have a few plans to improve them which I will journal as I work on them.

Anyway, to introduce my tanks I figured I would show pictures as they are now.

THE IMAGES BELOW ARE NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART, VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK OF CRYING!

55 gallon (My Main Tank):
This tank has 7 cory cats (I started with 5 ), 1 angel, 2 bala sharks, 2 plecos
Tank runs on CO2 injection and 4 overdriven 32w T8s

I have forgotten the names of my plants too

Full view - as you can see I have been piling things up on it, and don't even have the bottom organized and closed.

Panoramic View of Tank

Left Side Views

Center Views:

Right Views:

Fish:

My Angelfish - Sunburst

My small bala shark - Feisty

My cory cats

My cory cats again - one with an algae wafer

Some of the poor plants :

My 29 G - this is tragic - PS the brown is saw dust and other stuff, it's in my wood shop
Runs on a VHO 96W T12, no CO2 (well hasn't run on the DIY CO2 in over a year), no ferts, no fish, just annoying snails

3 of my 10gs which again, not set up, just waiting

The interesting thing about the 29g is there is no CO2, it has 1 VHO T12 bulb, no ferts except what the snails put out, and the plants do much better.

Anyway - so sorry for making some if not all of you cry, but this is what I am starting out with. I have some major plans and can't way to show them as I progress. I probably won't have an update for about a week - waiting for some parts to come in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

A very sad update

I had a very tragic morning this morning. I have lost both my balas, may lose my angel and my small pleco.

The issue is here:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...day-today.html

Nuked the tank with CO2.

As a result, I am going to get in gear and finish my project I had mentioned earlier. It is a central filtration system for all of my tanks except a quarantine tank. The system is using a custom built PVC 3 stage, 3 canister - canister filter run off of a 3000 GPH pump. The water will be circulated to my tanks with a 700 GPH pump where they will drain into a catch bin and be pumped out by a sump pump into the central filtration area.

The reason why I am going to move faster at this is the way I have my set up it will be impossible to nuke the tanks with CO2. The CO2 will be injected into the filter line - pre-filter. It will contain regular oxygen as well. Yes my CO2 will be counteracted a bit but it will still function. The media in the filters will dissolve the oxygen and CO2 by the time it gets into the "clean tank" area to be pumped into the aquariums. So how will it not Nuke? The PH probe will be in the clean tank area (the bin that holds the water to go to the aquariums). The pH controller will be hooked up to both the solenoid for my CO2 and the 700 GPH pump (yes it is within the amperage rating). So if the pH probe goes below the setting no water will get pumped into the aquariums.

The 700 GPH pump will be "spliced" into another circuit for night time - so when lights out no CO2 power is reached then another timer will switch on to drive the pump. OR I may just have the CO2 hooked for 24hr run time and avoid the splice - this I have not decided yet.

Once done all of the water parameters will be the same in all tanks which will make moving fish easily. If disease or anything hits I will move them to a quarantine tank outside of the central filter.

The central filter will also include automatic continuous water changing.

Eventually I will hook up dosing - but for now that will remain manual.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Well - I have come to realize I can't implement the fail safe where I turn off the output water when the pH is too low - that will remove filtration every time the pH setting is reached.

I am going to come up with some other form of fail safe, just have to think about it. Or I am going to have to upgrade to a dual stage regulator and a higher quality solenoid - but that is $$, I don't have $$

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
It looks nice from afar. LOL. You have brown like me in thew leaves. What are the big clumps of large leaves called? I like them. I see java ferns in there. IME javas do better in low light tanks.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode